PDA

View Full Version : Re: source for buying quills??

Svend Tang-Petersen
January 14th, 2004, 10:56 PM
TyKo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any place I can buy quills for tying dry fly bodies?
>
> I've recently picked up a couple of A.K. Best's books. It has sparked
> my interest in tying quill bodies. However, I'm not sure that I'm into
> buying hackle, stripping quills, dying them, etc. In fact, I'm sure
> I'm not into it. I know it would offer me exactly the sizes and colors
> that I'd want, but it just doesn't seem practical in my situation, and
> I don't plan on tying that many flies w/ them. But I'd like to give a
> few flies a try.
>
> Are there any retail soureces available??
>
> Thanks,
> TyKo

Ive bought from a cople of online shops. You can find some of them by going

to google.com and search for 'fly tying quill' or follow this link to

mrfc.com (no affiliation but Ive used them in the past and have been satisfied

with their service):

http://mrfc.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=quill&txtsearchParamCat=8&txtsearchParamType=ALL&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

brians
January 14th, 2004, 11:25 PM
TyKo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any place I can buy quills for tying dry fly bodies?

Try this:

http://www.feather-craft.com/products.asp?id=4992&cat=QUILL%2DBODY%3A+Beautiful+Dyed%2DQuill+%22Stem s%22&search=1

Quills make for very easy bodies, and they look cool too....I don't know
know if the fish care?

brians

Richard Fortuna
January 15th, 2004, 06:11 AM
"TyKo" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
>
> Is there any place I can buy quills for tying dry fly bodies?
>
> I've recently picked up a couple of A.K. Best's books. It has sparked
> my interest in tying quill bodies. However, I'm not sure that I'm into
> buying hackle, stripping quills, dying them, etc. In fact, I'm sure
> I'm not into it. I know it would offer me exactly the sizes and colors
> that I'd want, but it just doesn't seem practical in my situation, and
> I don't plan on tying that many flies w/ them. But I'd like to give a
> few flies a try.
>
> Are there any retail soureces available??
>
> Thanks,
> TyKo

Stripped and dyed quills are available through almost all of the major
catalogs now. I know Cabelas and Hunters both list them for this year. I
believe they are distributed to fly shops by Spirit River in packs of 25.

Richard Fortuna