PDA

View Full Version : Tinsels, etc.

Hooked
January 17th, 2004, 06:36 AM
I've been reading a few books on tying Atlantic Salmon flies and Spey flies
lately, and I keep coming across a reference to "twist." Does anybody know
what this refers to? I know it's some kind of tinsel, but exactly what is
it, and is there a supplier here in the States? Or is there some sort of
substitute?

Mike Connor
January 17th, 2004, 09:28 AM
"Hooked" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I've been reading a few books on tying Atlantic Salmon flies and Spey
flies
> lately, and I keep coming across a reference to "twist." Does anybody know
> what this refers to? I know it's some kind of tinsel, but exactly what is
> it, and is there a supplier here in the States? Or is there some sort of
> substitute?

Twist = Two strands of tinseled thread, twisted together. If three strands
are twisted together, it is called Lace.

You can find it here;
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/Threads_and_Flosses.html but any
shop that sells slamon fly materials will have it.

TL
MC

Jamie Caddick
January 17th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Try Bryant Freeman at Eskape Anglers, he specializes in materials for tying
atlantic salmon flies. His website is www.salmonflies.com , if the tinsel
isn't listed then just drop him an email. I know he has some as that is
where i get mine but i can't remember if it is listed in his catalog or not.

Jamie
http://jamie_caddick.tripod.com

"Hooked" > wrote in message
> I've been reading a few books on tying Atlantic Salmon flies and Spey
flies
> lately, and I keep coming across a reference to "twist." Does anybody know
> what this refers to? I know it's some kind of tinsel, but exactly what is
> it, and is there a supplier here in the States? Or is there some sort of
> substitute?

Hooked
January 18th, 2004, 03:28 AM
"Mike Connor" <Mike-Connor> wrote in message
s.com...

> Twist = Two strands of tinseled thread, twisted together. If three
strands
> are twisted together, it is called Lace.
>
> You can find it here;
> http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/Threads_and_Flosses.html but
any
> shop that sells slamon fly materials will have it.
>
> TL
> MC

Thanks Mike. Now that I know Uni makes it, I'll be able to get my local shop
to order some for me.

Hooked
January 18th, 2004, 03:34 AM
"Jamie Caddick" > wrote in message
> Try Bryant Freeman at Eskape Anglers, he specializes in materials for
tying
> atlantic salmon flies. His website is www.salmonflies.com , if the tinsel
> isn't listed then just drop him an email. I know he has some as that is
> where i get mine but i can't remember if it is listed in his catalog or
not.

> Jamie
> http://jamie_caddick.tripod.com

Thanks Jamie. Mike's post previous to yours shows that "twist" is available
from Uni-Products so I'll have my local shop order me some.