PDA

View Full Version : REPORT San Mateo ISE

Larry
January 30th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Svend Tang-Petersen wrote:

> Larry wrote:
>

>> Sort of late to ask, but anyone planning on being there tomorrow
(Thursday)?

>> I'll check back tomorrow morning before I go...
>>
>> Larry
>

> I looked at the agenda and decided to go saturday as well. There a
guy > tying superrealistic flies and his only presentation is saturday 5.30

> Two years ago I went for 3 days, and last year only once. The
> flyfishing part seems to be shrinking and I heard similar comments
> from people last night at our tying class.

You can say that again... the "Fly Fishing Hall" was mostly all tour
guides and lodges, many of the "regulars" weren't even there this year,
and those that were seemed to have smaller booths.

It was nice to see Harry Mason, Al Beatty (BT's Flyfishing), Jack Dennis
(who had a booth as well as doing a tying and a casting demo) Ken Hanley
and Jay Murakoshi (they had a regular booth this year!), Arrick's Fly
Fishing, Richard Anderson (California FlyFisher Magazine), Denny Rickard
(Guide and Flies, who also did a tying demo) Jay Fair (who had a nice
display this year also) and the tyers and tying theater was well
attended this year

.... but notably absent were Jim Adams (Adam's Angling and Books), Blue
Ribbon Flies and Materials, Randy Johnson (Guide and materials), the
large shop from Sacramento, The Fly Shop (from Redding) and others...
like Amato Books, Denis from Rough and Ready, Angler's Choice (from
Washington), Eagle Claw, Joan Wulff, Andy Burke, The Artic Fox guy...

And talking to many of the folks who were there, almost NONE OF THEM are
planning to go to Pleasanton next month (happens the same time as the
San Rafael show and Seattle shows)

May be signaling a slowdown for the ISe when it comes to flyfishing and
ESPECIALLY tying...

Larry

Svend Tang-Petersen
January 30th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Seems like the San Rafael show is slowly taking over as 'the local show'.
Unfortunately it means having to
drive up through the city to get there. For me its 2-3 times as far away and
having to go through SF doesnt
add to the incentive to go.

D. Rocksvold
January 30th, 2004, 11:36 PM
I was there as well on Thursday. I was working in the NCCFFF booth from
12-3.

I took a quick look around afterwards and noticed the same thing. There
were quite a few other people that I did not see. The Fly Shop from Redding
at one time had 3 booths, now none. I too think these guys are waiting for
the FF Only Show. It is directly targeted at their customers. They don't
have to contend with people that are only looky-loos. The majority of the
people that will attend the San Rafael show will be fly fishers. Less
people "thinking" about getting into the sport and more people who do it.

Just my $.02

Dustin

"Svend Tang-Petersen" > wrote in message

> Seems like the San Rafael show is slowly taking over as 'the local show'.
> Unfortunately it means having to
> drive up through the city to get there. For me its 2-3 times as far away
and
> having to go through SF doesnt
> add to the incentive to go.

Larry
January 31st, 2004, 05:38 PM
Well, there's always the San Mateo and up the Nimitz and across the San
Rafael =)

Svend Tang-Petersen wrote:
> Seems like the San Rafael show is slowly taking over as 'the local show'.
> Unfortunately it means having to
> drive up through the city to get there. For me its 2-3 times as far away and
> having to go through SF doesnt
> add to the incentive to go.

Svend Tang-Petersen
February 3rd, 2004, 01:04 AM
I went saturday afternoon, and staying with the highlights:

Watching Lefty cast was entertaining. He had a different approach to
chuck-n-duck.

Mike Lawson did a good job in the fly tying theatre, but Im still not
capable of getting the no-hackles the way I want them (more practice needed).

Bought his latest book (my wife gave me a gift certificate for christmas so I
spent
the money on that). It has some nice sections on various bugs, i.e. sizes
behaviour colors etc..

The superrealistic flytyer wasnt who I thought it was, but it was still ok.

Most of the others looked like they were doing their usual rutines.

Didnt see much new wrt tying materials etc..

Lots of people were promoting lodges and package tours.

I guess I'll have to go take a look at the San Rafael show this year.