PDA

View Full Version : Cicada Fly Pattern

vincent p. norris
January 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Months ago there was a request for Cicada patterns. I said I'd post
Greg Hoover's pattern as soon as he gave it out.

(Greg is an entomologist at Penn State and co-author with Charlie Meck
of Great Streams, Great Hatches.)

Hook: TMC 5212, size 6
Overbody: Black foam, about 3 mm thick
Abdomen: Orange Awesome Possum dubbing, or chenille
Wing: Orange deer hair

1. Cut strip of foam a bout 1/2" wide. Taper last 1/2 to 3/4 inch to
a point. Tie on hook shank, beginning about 1/3 back from eye.

2. Wrap thread snugly over foam on shank back to hook bend.

3. Dub bulky orange body forward to 1/3 back from eye.

OR use orange chenille.

4. Bring foam forward, as in tying a beetle, and tie down at 1/3
back from eye.

5. Tie in bunch of deer at that point, as in elk hair caddis. Spread
out, fanwise. But off butts.

6. Tie down foam forward to eye.

7. Wind thread back to 1/3 point.

8., Pull foam strip back to that poiunt, tie down, and cut off
excess.

Cornmuse
January 30th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Any way to convince you to post an image of this fly to the ABPF newsgroup.
Sounds like an excellent pattern and a lot easier to tie than the spun hair
patterns I am used to.

Joe C.

"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
> Months ago there was a request for Cicada patterns. I said I'd post
> Greg Hoover's pattern as soon as he gave it out.
>
> (Greg is an entomologist at Penn State and co-author with Charlie Meck
> of Great Streams, Great Hatches.)
>
> Hook: TMC 5212, size 6
> Overbody: Black foam, about 3 mm thick
> Abdomen: Orange Awesome Possum dubbing, or chenille
> Wing: Orange deer hair
>
> 1. Cut strip of foam a bout 1/2" wide. Taper last 1/2 to 3/4 inch to
> a point. Tie on hook shank, beginning about 1/3 back from eye.
>
> 2. Wrap thread snugly over foam on shank back to hook bend.
>
> 3. Dub bulky orange body forward to 1/3 back from eye.
>
> OR use orange chenille.
>
> 4. Bring foam forward, as in tying a beetle, and tie down at 1/3
> back from eye.
>
> 5. Tie in bunch of deer at that point, as in elk hair caddis. Spread
> out, fanwise. But off butts.
>
> 6. Tie down foam forward to eye.
>
> 7. Wind thread back to 1/3 point.
>
> 8., Pull foam strip back to that poiunt, tie down, and cut off
> excess.

Sierra fisher
January 30th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I found the following pages which show what the animal looks like.

http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/magicicada/Michigan/Index.html

"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
> Months ago there was a request for Cicada patterns. I said I'd post
> Greg Hoover's pattern as soon as he gave it out.
>
> (Greg is an entomologist at Penn State and co-author with Charlie Meck
> of Great Streams, Great Hatches.)
>
> Hook: TMC 5212, size 6
> Overbody: Black foam, about 3 mm thick
> Abdomen: Orange Awesome Possum dubbing, or chenille
> Wing: Orange deer hair
>
> 1. Cut strip of foam a bout 1/2" wide. Taper last 1/2 to 3/4 inch to
> a point. Tie on hook shank, beginning about 1/3 back from eye.
>
> 2. Wrap thread snugly over foam on shank back to hook bend.
>
> 3. Dub bulky orange body forward to 1/3 back from eye.
>
> OR use orange chenille.
>
> 4. Bring foam forward, as in tying a beetle, and tie down at 1/3
> back from eye.
>
> 5. Tie in bunch of deer at that point, as in elk hair caddis. Spread
> out, fanwise. But off butts.
>
> 6. Tie down foam forward to eye.
>
> 7. Wind thread back to 1/3 point.
>
> 8., Pull foam strip back to that poiunt, tie down, and cut off
> excess.

---

Ernie
January 30th, 2004, 04:58 PM
"Sierra fisher" > wrote in
message ...
> I found the following pages which show what the animal looks
like.
> http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/magicicada/Michigan/Index.html

I will never forget one fishing trip when these creatures were
out. We were playing cards outside buy the light of a Coleman
Lantern. They were attracted to the light and dive bombed us
like a Kamikaze pilot. They actually hurt if they hit you in the
head. We started picking them up from the table and putting them
in an empty coffee can. After a while one of the fellows took
the can and threw them back into the trees. We went to bed
rather than face the bombardment again. :)
Ernie

vincent p. norris
January 30th, 2004, 04:59 PM
>Any way to convince you to post an image of this fly to the ABPF newsgroup.

Sorry, Joe, I'm unable to do that.

If you've tied a foam beetle, that's essentially what this pattern is,
with an orange abdomen and orange wing similar to that on an elk-hair
caddis, spread wide.

The website posted in this thread will give you some top and bottom
views of the bug; for side views, see:

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fauna/Michigan_Cicadas/Periodical/Index.html

vince

Stephen Welsh
January 30th, 2004, 09:58 PM
"Ernie" > wrote in news:tavSb.7826
:

> I will never forget one fishing trip when these creatures were
> out. We were playing cards outside buy the light of a Coleman
> Lantern. They were attracted to the light and dive bombed us
> like a Kamikaze pilot. They actually hurt if they hit you in the
> head. We started picking them up from the table and putting them
> in an empty coffee can. After a while one of the fellows took
> the can and threw them back into the trees. We went to bed
> rather than face the bombardment again. :)
> Ernie

A different species of course but we had a big flight of cicadas
just on sunset while fishing one evening this year. The air
was thick with them and they repeatedly hit the stationary
rod with quite a thwack... at other times the rod hit them ;-)

There were so many I tied a couple of large dark (very dark furnace -
almost black) palmer drys for later trips. They've worked well
for the cicada on evening and march flys during the day ...
though the cicadas gadding about were only 30mm or so much smaller
than your magic bug. As well as the more imitative patterns,
it might be worth trying a big palmer with splash of orange through the
abdomen for your bugs - helps get rid of some of those often useless
outsize feathers as well ;-)

Big bugs are fun ...

Steve

Ernie
January 30th, 2004, 11:43 PM
"Stephen Welsh" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> There were so many I tied a couple of large dark (very dark
furnace -
> almost black) palmer drys for later trips. They've worked
well
> for the cicada on evening and march flys during the day ...
> though the cicadas gadding about were only 30mm or so much
smaller
> than your magic bug. As well as the more imitative patterns,
> it might be worth trying a big palmer with splash of orange
through the
> abdomen for your bugs - helps get rid of some of those often
useless
> outsize feathers as well ;-)
> Big bugs are fun ...
> Steve

These were about as big as your thumb and black. They only hatch
every seven years.
Ernie

vincent p. norris
January 31st, 2004, 04:56 PM
>Any way to convince you to post an image of this fly to the ABPF newsgroup.

Although I'm unable to do that, I'll send a photo of the fly via email
to anyone who requests it. Not a photograhic masterpiece, but it
will show what *my attempt at tying the fly* looks like, top and
bottom.

vince

Larry and a cat named Dub
January 31st, 2004, 08:10 PM
I can only say I have fished when the hatch is on.
May 25 of this year in Indiana according to Newspaper article in the local
paper. This will occur in the Bloomington area
When the hatch is on you don't catch fish you release them. I caught between
500-700 gills in three days. I kept about 15 for eating I tied a simple
black deer hair body with some hair sticking out the sides. It worked great

"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
> Months ago there was a request for Cicada patterns. I said I'd post
> Greg Hoover's pattern as soon as he gave it out.
>
> (Greg is an entomologist at Penn State and co-author with Charlie Meck
> of Great Streams, Great Hatches.)
>
> Hook: TMC 5212, size 6
> Overbody: Black foam, about 3 mm thick
> Abdomen: Orange Awesome Possum dubbing, or chenille
> Wing: Orange deer hair
>
> 1. Cut strip of foam a bout 1/2" wide. Taper last 1/2 to 3/4 inch to
> a point. Tie on hook shank, beginning about 1/3 back from eye.
>
> 2. Wrap thread snugly over foam on shank back to hook bend.
>
> 3. Dub bulky orange body forward to 1/3 back from eye.
>
> OR use orange chenille.
>
> 4. Bring foam forward, as in tying a beetle, and tie down at 1/3
> back from eye.
>
> 5. Tie in bunch of deer at that point, as in elk hair caddis. Spread
> out, fanwise. But off butts.
>
> 6. Tie down foam forward to eye.
>
> 7. Wind thread back to 1/3 point.
>
> 8., Pull foam strip back to that poiunt, tie down, and cut off
> excess.

vincent p. norris
February 1st, 2004, 01:48 PM
>Vince, if you email it to me, I'll post it on abpf for everybody else.

OK, Stan. Thanks.

vince

Stan Gula
February 1st, 2004, 03:16 PM
Vince, if you email it to me, I'll post it on abpf for everybody else.
--
Stan Gula
(remove .remove.invalid to email me)

"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
> >Any way to convince you to post an image of this fly to the ABPF
newsgroup.

> Although I'm unable to do that, I'll send a photo of the fly via email
> to anyone who requests it. Not a photograhic masterpiece, but it
> will show what *my attempt at tying the fly* looks like, top and
> bottom.
>
> vince

Stan Gula
February 2nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
Vince - I posted a slightly sharpened version of your second photo to abpf.
Even though it's blurry, you can make out plenty of tying detail. Thanks.
--
Stan Gula

"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
> >Any way to convince you to post an image of this fly to the ABPF
newsgroup.

> Although I'm unable to do that, I'll send a photo of the fly via email
> to anyone who requests it. Not a photograhic masterpiece, but it
> will show what *my attempt at tying the fly* looks like, top and
> bottom.
>
> vince

vincent p. norris
February 2nd, 2004, 04:26 PM
>Vince - I posted a slightly sharpened version of your second photo to abpf.
>Even though it's blurry, you can make out plenty of tying detail. Thanks.

Thank you, Stan. I won't be able to appreciate your skill; I can't
get abpf.

vince

Merrick
February 8th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Hi,

I must try that one. Here in Australia it summer and the cicadas are
everywhere. And the bass love to eat them as well!

Thanks.

"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
> Months ago there was a request for Cicada patterns. I said I'd post
> Greg Hoover's pattern as soon as he gave it out.
>
> (Greg is an entomologist at Penn State and co-author with Charlie Meck
> of Great Streams, Great Hatches.)
>
> Hook: TMC 5212, size 6
> Overbody: Black foam, about 3 mm thick
> Abdomen: Orange Awesome Possum dubbing, or chenille
> Wing: Orange deer hair
>
> 1. Cut strip of foam a bout 1/2" wide. Taper last 1/2 to 3/4 inch to
> a point. Tie on hook shank, beginning about 1/3 back from eye.
>
> 2. Wrap thread snugly over foam on shank back to hook bend.
>
> 3. Dub bulky orange body forward to 1/3 back from eye.
>
> OR use orange chenille.
>
> 4. Bring foam forward, as in tying a beetle, and tie down at 1/3
> back from eye.
>
> 5. Tie in bunch of deer at that point, as in elk hair caddis. Spread
> out, fanwise. But off butts.
>
> 6. Tie down foam forward to eye.
>
> 7. Wind thread back to 1/3 point.
>
> 8., Pull foam strip back to that poiunt, tie down, and cut off
> excess.

vincent p. norris
February 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM
>I must try that one. Here in Australia it summer and the cicadas are
>everywhere. And the bass love to eat them as well!

I hope it works well for you. Let us know.

vince