PDA

View Full Version : Name this fly?

January 30th, 2004, 09:53 PM
A friend asked me to tie him some of my favorite steelhead flies. I can't
remember where I got this pattern and I don't like to pass it off as mine.
Can anyone name it for me?

Tag: fine silver tinsel
Tail: Golden Pheasant Crest
Body:Red floss ribbed with fine silver tinsel
Wing: Grey squirrel
Hackle: Soft Grizzly tied spade style (Tying it spade may have been one of
my "improvements". I do that occasionally).

Thanks to anyone who can help me. I couldn't find it in my usual pattern
books and it has been a productive fly.

Crusty

FishFearMe.NET
February 16th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Wow, I just tied a very similar pattern called the Silver Rat from the (old)
Orvis Fly Patterns handbook., except the rib is oval silver tinsel and they
just HAD to call out Gray Fox instead of Gray Squirrel for the wing. hehe

Sounds like I should try it with a red rib!