PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started

Kevin
February 2nd, 2004, 03:07 AM
I have just got started in fly tying/fly fishing. Anyone know any good
sites to help me out? I looked but most were for the experienced tiers.
Thanks, Kevin

Dave LaCourse
February 2nd, 2004, 03:36 AM
Kevin writes:

>I have just got started in fly tying/fly fishing. Anyone know any good
>sites to help me out? I looked but most were for the experienced tiers.

http://troutflies.com/

Harry Mason's site. Click on "tutorials". Harry has some excellent pictures
and instructions and some of his ties are easy enough for a rookie tyer. Good
luck. And buy some of his flies too.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Bill Mason
February 2nd, 2004, 04:12 AM
"Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> I have just got started in fly tying/fly fishing. Anyone know any good
> sites to help me out? I looked but most were for the experienced tiers.
> Thanks, Kevin

Another site with some decent information is
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ . Click on "fly tying" in the left
column...there is a section for beginners.

Cheers,
Bill

Kevin
February 3rd, 2004, 03:23 AM
Thanks Guys those were alot of help.
Kevin
"Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> I have just got started in fly tying/fly fishing. Anyone know any good
> sites to help me out? I looked but most were for the experienced tiers.
> Thanks, Kevin

egildone
February 3rd, 2004, 02:25 PM
Kevin,

I am also just starting in fly tying and the book " The Art of Fly Tying"
by Claude Chartrand is very helpful. I also use the troutflies.com site.
"What the Trout Said" by Datus Propur is also an excellent book.
--
Ed (remove nospam to reply)

"Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> I have just got started in fly tying/fly fishing. Anyone know any good
> sites to help me out? I looked but most were for the experienced tiers.
> Thanks, Kevin

Kevin
February 4th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Thanks everyone. I just bought a kit from bass pro and it was a big help.
Mostly because it had all of the material and a video. I am a big fan of
Dave Whitlock.
"egildone" > wrote in message
> Kevin,
>
> I am also just starting in fly tying and the book " The Art of Fly Tying"
> by Claude Chartrand is very helpful. I also use the troutflies.com site.
> "What the Trout Said" by Datus Propur is also an excellent book.
> --
> Ed (remove nospam to reply)
>
> "Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> > I have just got started in fly tying/fly fishing. Anyone know any good
> > sites to help me out? I looked but most were for the experienced tiers.
> > Thanks, Kevin

Studs Mcfadden
February 4th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Good luck on the tying Kevin. Don't let it get you frustrated in the
beginning. If your looking at patterns with spun deer hair it can get a
little hairy at times (pun intended;-D). Having fun with it is the
important part. The ugliest fly in the world could be the biggest winner
out on the water!

I fish for bass all summer up in the Pacific Northwest using variations of a
Turck's Tarantula, sizes 8 and 10. It's ugly and hairy and has rubber
legs...bass, bream and crappie just love em. The deer hair head is not
especially complicated to tie. Turck doesn't spin the hair so much as tie
it in around the hook and flare it.

There's really good instructions from Guy Turck himself on tying them in the
book, "Tying Flies With Jack Dennis and Friends." It has some great
patterns in it and good instruction for various tying techniques.

Here's a link to a picture and recipe :
http://www.westfly.com/patterns/dry/turckstarantula.shtml

I use round rubber legs (they stand out from the body better) in different
colors, I usually mark them up with stripes using a Sharpie marker. You can
make the body pretty much to suit yourself. I tie them with peacock hurl
and red floss or just dubbed with something that looks buggy. I use snow
shoe rabbit instead of calf tail. A trick I saw in one of the tying
magazines helps with the legs...to protect the wing and legs while spinning
the head...cut a piece of drinking straw about an inch or so long, slice it
once lengthwise and slide it from front to back over your wings and legs.
The slice opens around the hook bend and the straw traps wing and legs back
out of your way and protects them while you finish the fly and trim the
head.

I fish it mostly dry. If you use one of the dry powder flotants like
Shamazaki Dry Shake to keep the thing floating it'll dance like a real bug
on the water. When it gets slimed...and it will get slimed...I just squeeze
the water out, put it in the dry shake bottle and shake it for a few seconds
and it's ready for the next fish!!!

"Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> Thanks everyone. I just bought a kit from bass pro and it was a big help.
> Mostly because it had all of the material and a video. I am a big fan of
> Dave Whitlock.
> "egildone" > wrote in message
> > Kevin,
> >
> > I am also just starting in fly tying and the book " The Art of Fly
Tying"
> > by Claude Chartrand is very helpful. I also use the troutflies.com
site.
> > "What the Trout Said" by Datus Propur is also an excellent book.
> > --
> > Ed (remove nospam to reply)
> >
> > "Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> > > I have just got started in fly tying/fly fishing. Anyone know any
good
> > > sites to help me out? I looked but most were for the experienced
tiers.
> > > Thanks, Kevin

Kevin
February 7th, 2004, 04:57 AM
I have found a couple local shops and they have been more than helpful. It
seems like most people I have talked to have been. It just proves there is
a lot of good people involved in this. Now if I can just keep the kids from
playing with everything I will be in good shape.
"Studs Mcfadden" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> [...]
> on the water. When it gets slimed...and it will get slimed...I just
squeeze
> the water out, put it in the dry shake bottle and shake it for a few
seconds
> and it's ready for the next fish!!!
>
> "Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> > Thanks everyone. I just bought a kit from bass pro and it was a big
help.
> > Mostly because it had all of the material and a video. I am a big fan
of
> > Dave Whitlock.
> > "egildone" > wrote in message
> > > Kevin,
> > >
> > > I am also just starting in fly tying and the book " The Art of Fly
> Tying"
> > > by Claude Chartrand is very helpful. I also use the troutflies.com
> site.
> > > "What the Trout Said" by Datus Propur is also an excellent book.

Bob Sheedy
February 15th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Always build a relationship with a fly shop owner. Sure, he or she will want
to sell you stuff, but if they've been around any length of time, they'll
want to help you out so you come there, instead of eBay. They'll sell the
right stuff. And the right books to guide you on the product of the vise.

Bob S

--
Bob Sheedy
www.mwflyfishing.net
Author: Lake Fly Fishing Strategies
Bob Sheedy's Top Fifty Stillwater Fly Patterns

> [...]
> > The slice opens around the hook bend and the straw traps wing and legs
> back
> > out of your way and protects them while you finish the fly and trim the
> > head.
> >
> > I fish it mostly dry. If you use one of the dry powder flotants like
> > Shamazaki Dry Shake to keep the thing floating it'll dance like a real
bug
> > on the water. When it gets slimed...and it will get slimed...I just
> squeeze
> > the water out, put it in the dry shake bottle and shake it for a few
> seconds
> > and it's ready for the next fish!!!
> >
> > "Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> > > Thanks everyone. I just bought a kit from bass pro and it was a big
> help.
> > > Mostly because it had all of the material and a video. I am a big fan

VALERIE JASPERSON
April 3rd, 2004, 10:48 PM
I tried to respond to Kevin to ask him to pass on any good beginning fly
tying sites he was referred to but was knocked out of the boat by my mail
server... SO TO ALL Y'ALL.. a little help here for a newbie? Good starter
sites??
ALSO - will send a handful of grey Persian fur (for dubbing) to anyone
willing to trade a pinch of anything else.
Thanks, naturalwonderwoman
"Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> I have just got started in fly tying/fly fishing. Anyone know any good
> sites to help me out? I looked but most were for the experienced tiers.
> Thanks, Kevin

jack van volkenburgh
April 4th, 2004, 02:51 AM
VALERIE JASPERSON wrote:

> .. a little help here for a newbie? Good starter
> sites??
>
> > I have just got started in fly tying/fly fishing. Anyone know any good
> > sites to help me out? I looked but most were for the experienced tiers.
> > Thanks, Kevin
> >
> >Try ....... Http://www.flyanglersonline.com

Bob Ellis
April 4th, 2004, 07:28 AM
jack van volkenburgh wrote:

> VALERIE JASPERSON wrote:
>

>>.. a little help here for a newbie? Good starter
>>sites??
>>

>>>I have just got started in fly tying/fly fishing. Anyone know any good
>>>sites to help me out? I looked but most were for the experienced tiers.
>>> Thanks, Kevin
>>>
>>>Try ....... Http://www.flyanglersonline.com

Harry Mason has some excellent tutorials on his site,
http://www.Troutflies.com/

Wolfgang
April 6th, 2004, 03:01 AM
"VALERIE JASPERSON" > wrote in message
> .....will send a handful of grey Persian fur (for dubbing) to anyone
> willing to trade a pinch of anything else.

Any idea of what you need?

Wolfgang

George G. Miller
April 7th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Kevin:
Here are some sites that have helped me out:

Here are some web sites that have helped me out:

Trout Nut - Entomology
http://www.troutnut.com/

Tie-1-On - A fly tying workshop and instructions
http://www.tie1on.net/

Killroys - Good tying info.
http://www.killroys.com/

Virtual Flybox - A fly tyers paradise
http://www.virtualflybox.com/

Hip Wader - A fly fishing community - good forums, good info.
http://hipwader.com/index.php

Utah on the Fly - great forums, lots of info.
http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Flyfish's Homepage - good info.
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/6392/index2.html

Flyflickers -
http://www.flyflickers.com/ff/gomain.htm

Fly Tying Fourm - a tyers bench and good forums
http://www.flytyingforum.com/

Montana On The Fly
http://www.montanaonthefly.com/motfbb/portal.php

About.com Fly Fishing/tying index
http://flyfishing.miningco.com/cs/flytiersbench/index.html

and if these aren't enough - here's a link index
http://regional.cbel.com/fly_fishing/

Enjoy!!

George

Kevin wrote:

> I have just got started in fly tying/fly fishing. Anyone know any
> good sites to help me out? I looked but most were for the
> experienced tiers. Thanks, Kevin

Kevin
April 8th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Thanks George