PDA

View Full Version : Size of alevin?

steve sullivan
February 2nd, 2004, 06:33 AM
For fishing the feather river in california, I am wondering how big to
tie a king salmon alevin? I dont even know the name of the fly, it has
grey marabou for tail, pearl flashabou for body (sometimes its tied with
rainbow colored flashabou (maybe its krystal flash, they are the same
thing right?), orange egg sec, grey marabou going from above egg sac to
tail, and eyes.

The one at the fly shop was a size 10 on a 3x long streamer that was 2x
strong. It was about 1 inch long. I am tying it on a strong size 2
hook and it is about 1 1/4 inches long. Is this too big for a alevin?
Anyone know the name of this pattern? I think its milt's salmon fry but
I couldnt find it on the web. Can I tie this without the egg sac to
imitate a salmon fry? How big would that be?

Also, what does a glow bug with grey marabou tail represent? Is it a
good fly to use? Or is just a round glue ball better?

--
"He that would exchange liberty for temporary safety
deserves neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin