PDA

View Full Version : sculpin patterns

Kevin
February 11th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Anyone have any good sculpin patterns?

Wolfgang
February 11th, 2004, 11:46 AM
"Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> Anyone have any good sculpin patterns?

The original muddler minnow with its head trimmed to the proper shape is
probably as good as any.

Wolfgang

rb608
February 11th, 2004, 12:58 PM
"Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> Anyone have any good sculpin patterns?

I can't attest to them personally, but Harry Murray recommends Whitlock's
Sculpin, the Spuddler, & Shenk's Black Sculpin for smallmouth.

Joe F.

DaveMohnsen
February 11th, 2004, 03:38 PM
"Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> Anyone have any good sculpin patterns?

Hi Kevin,

Many out there. Here is one I like.

I use wool for the head. (Dream catcher kind of stuff from a craft store .
.. .$10.00 or so will last you a long time.)
I dye it for the color I want. Tied in and then trimmed to shape.

Hook is anything you want to use. I do it from 2x long to 6x long.

Weight: sometimes I use lead, sometimes nothing.

Dubbing . . .whatever you want.

Matuka style . . . .the top is rabbit . . .great action in the water.

Rib is wire . . .silver, gold, copper, etc.

Front fins . . . hen . . .color of your choice. Tied in just behind the
head.

I guess it is basically a Woolhead Matuka Sculpin. Fairly durable. Suspect
there are more than a few recipes out there. (heh . . .heh . . .now you got
wool and some type of dubbing and rabbit in a projectile with a pointy part
.. . .and wet . . . and heavy)
Might want to adjust your casting stroke a bit.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Big Dale
February 11th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Dave wrote:snip>Front fins . . . hen . . .color of your choice. Tied in just
behind the
>head.

Just for ****s and grins you might try a half dozen strands on each side from
an olive and black stripe spinner bait skirt as different kind of front fins .
They look pretty cool, and move in the water great.I place them just in front
of the first wads of wool and to the rear of the glued on eyes.

Big Dale

DaveMohnsen
February 11th, 2004, 10:26 PM
"Big Dale" > wrote in message
> Dave wrote:snip>Front fins . . . hen . . .color of your choice. Tied in
just
> behind the
> >head.
>
> Just for ****s and grins you might try a half dozen strands on each side
from
> an olive and black stripe spinner bait skirt as different kind of front
fins .
> They look pretty cool, and move in the water great.I place them just in
front
> of the first wads of wool and to the rear of the glued on eyes.
>
> Big Dale

Hi Big Dale,
Good points. I sometimes use rubber legs and/or eyes. Amazing how either,
or both can be such a "trigger" in certain conditions. Thanks for bringing
it up.
Dave

Willi
February 11th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Kevin wrote:

> Anyone have any good sculpin patterns?

Maybe Warren will give you his. Great looking pattern.

Willi

-- Rob
February 12th, 2004, 03:00 AM
around here there is a johnny darter which is kind of a barred cream color that
is imitated best by 2 patterns:

first - a mini puff (bonefish pattern) in cream.

second - a local pattern using cream marabou tail, bushy dubbed hares mask,
spun deer hair head like a muddler, with dumbell eyes.

variations on the same are all good.

key is to fish it like a sculpin: long line downstream, plenty of weight,
settled to the bottom, with slow twitches in the shallows adjacent to a good
hole.

then hang on.

-- Rob

Kevin
February 12th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Dave Whitlock has a really good looking sculpin. But, he wants $30 plus
s/h. It only makes 6. Fly fishing magazine (march) has a nice looking
pattern. A nice fella at a local shop showed me how to tie one with rabbit
strips and marabou. I cant remember what he called it. The shop is called
T. Hargrove. They also have a web site. Anyone ever been there?
"rb608" > wrote in message
> "Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> > Anyone have any good sculpin patterns?
>
> I can't attest to them personally, but Harry Murray recommends Whitlock's
> Sculpin, the Spuddler, & Shenk's Black Sculpin for smallmouth.
>
> Joe F.

Bob Sheedy
February 15th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Try an appropriately coloured and sized marabou muddler. If you want to get
fancy just add some pheasant tuffs right behind the ehad on either side.
Works for me.

Bob S

--
Bob Sheedy
www.mwflyfishing.net
Author: Lake Fly Fishing Strategies
Bob Sheedy's Top Fifty Stillwater Fly Patterns
"Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> Anyone have any good sculpin patterns?

B J Conner
February 15th, 2004, 06:45 PM
The ones in the March Fly Fisherman mag look good. They prpbably look more
like sculpins than they need to.
I like muddles tied with in the standard pattern and with some variation
( going to black and yellow). I have the best luck with muddlers tied on
keel hooks with some wire for weight. They work well in bigger rivers where
getting deep is vital.
"Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> Anyone have any good sculpin patterns?

Salmo Bytes
February 17th, 2004, 02:11 PM
"B J Conner" > wrote in message >...
> The ones in the March Fly Fisherman mag look good. They prpbably look more
> like sculpins than they need to.
> I like muddles tied with in the standard pattern and with some variation
> ( going to black and yellow). I have the best luck with muddlers tied on
> keel hooks with some wire for weight. They work well in bigger rivers where
> getting deep is vital.
> "Kevin" <kmcdo > wrote in message
> > Anyone have any good sculpin patterns?

http://www.montana-riverboats.com/static_pages/Flies/Sandy_Pittendrigh/Streamers/Knucklehead_Sculpin/Knucklehead_Sculpin.html

.....a wire wrapped head covered with yarn, soaked in super glue, with
a standard
sculpin rear-end: hen hackle and olive grizzly feathers....plus a
crystal flash
pectoral fins.

Hooked
February 18th, 2004, 06:37 AM
"Salmo Bytes" > wrote in message
om...

http://www.montana-riverboats.com/static_pages/Flies/Sandy_Pittendrigh/Streamers/Knucklehead_Sculpin/Knucklehead_Sculpin.html

> ....a wire wrapped head covered with yarn, soaked in super glue, with
> a standard
> sculpin rear-end: hen hackle and olive grizzly feathers....plus a
> crystal flash
> pectoral fins.

I'll post a pic and materials list of the sculpin pattern I use at
"alt.bin.pic.fish."