PDA

View Full Version : Hooks in general

just al
February 19th, 2004, 08:00 PM
I tie for myslef but learned on Dai Riki and Tiempco. I've been teaching
locals at a nearby tackle shop and the shop wants to carry materials. After
working for a high end shop in Montana, I can't suggest economy hooks. It
seems that most recipes call for mustad. Tiempco and Dai Riki are far too
expensive for the locals here.

What do you think about Eagle Claw? Other suggestions of quality brand
materials or wholesalers would be appreciated. The guys that I help out
(not work for) need to start slowly.

Thanks!

Al

Cornmuse
February 19th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Al

I've used the Targus hooks for dry flies. I thought they were very nice for
a good price. I have used Eagle Claw in some unusual bends (shiner hooks
and english bait hooks) to get some interesting fly effects and the ones I
used seemed to be of very good quality.

"just al" > wrote in message
> I tie for myslef but learned on Dai Riki and Tiempco. I've been teaching
> locals at a nearby tackle shop and the shop wants to carry materials.
After
> working for a high end shop in Montana, I can't suggest economy hooks. It
> seems that most recipes call for mustad. Tiempco and Dai Riki are far too
> expensive for the locals here.
>
> What do you think about Eagle Claw? Other suggestions of quality brand
> materials or wholesalers would be appreciated. The guys that I help out
> (not work for) need to start slowly.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Al

George Adams
February 19th, 2004, 10:43 PM
>What do you think about Eagle Claw? Other suggestions of quality brand
>materials or wholesalers would be appreciated. The guys that I help out
>(not work for) need to start slowly.

I have used some Eagle Claw hooks, and they were fine, but come in a limited
range of styles and sizes. (at least that was the case where I bought them)

As you point out, many recipes specify Mustad, so why not use Mustad? The price
should be agreeable with the locals, and my experinces with them has been good.
(and I've been tying since 1954).

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

just al
February 19th, 2004, 10:50 PM
On a different note. I am also only famliar with Whiting Hackle. Can you
recommend a good hackle distributor? Feel free to e-mail me directly.
Thanks!
"George Adams" > wrote in message
> >What do you think about Eagle Claw? Other suggestions of quality brand
> >materials or wholesalers would be appreciated. The guys that I help out
> >(not work for) need to start slowly.
>
> I have used some Eagle Claw hooks, and they were fine, but come in a
limited
> range of styles and sizes. (at least that was the case where I bought
them)

> As you point out, many recipes specify Mustad, so why not use Mustad? The
price
> should be agreeable with the locals, and my experinces with them has been
good.
> (and I've been tying since 1954).
>

> George Adams
>
> "All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only
dream of
> youth that doth not grow stale with age."
> ---- J.W Muller

John Lindsey
February 20th, 2004, 10:28 PM
"just al" > wrote in message

> What do you think about Eagle Claw?

I have had Big bass straighten out bronze Eagle Claw hooks and let the bass
get away. I try to avoid bronze Eagle Claw hooks when tying popping bugs
but their stainless steel hooks work fine.

Good luck!
John

Sierra fisher
February 21st, 2004, 01:49 AM
You can get very good Japanese made hooks for less than $10 per hundred from
this address. I've been buying from him for about 3 or 4 years. I find
Targus hooks to be expensive!

www.thefishguy.com

"just al" > wrote in message
> I tie for myslef but learned on Dai Riki and Tiempco. I've been teaching
> locals at a nearby tackle shop and the shop wants to carry materials.
After
> working for a high end shop in Montana, I can't suggest economy hooks. It
> seems that most recipes call for mustad. Tiempco and Dai Riki are far too
> expensive for the locals here.
>
> What do you think about Eagle Claw? Other suggestions of quality brand
> materials or wholesalers would be appreciated. The guys that I help out
> (not work for) need to start slowly.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Al

---

Willi
February 21st, 2004, 04:33 PM
Sierra fisher wrote:

> You can get very good Japanese made hooks for less than $10 per hundred from
> this address. I've been buying from him for about 3 or 4 years. I find
> Targus hooks to be expensive!
>
> www.thefishguy.com

He's not answering emails, which sounds like a bad sign to me.

Willi

just al
February 21st, 2004, 05:20 PM
answering e-mails? Who. I don't want bad advice.

"Willi" > wrote in message

> Sierra fisher wrote:
>
> > You can get very good Japanese made hooks for less than $10 per hundred
from
> > this address. I've been buying from him for about 3 or 4 years. I
find
> > Targus hooks to be expensive!
> >
> > www.thefishguy.com
>

> He's not answering emails, which sounds like a bad sign to me.
>
> Willi

Willi
February 21st, 2004, 08:44 PM
just al wrote:
> answering e-mails? Who. I don't want bad advice.

The Fish Guy

Willi

> "Willi" > wrote in message
>

>>Sierra fisher wrote:
>>

>>>You can get very good Japanese made hooks for less than $10 per hundred
>
> from
>
>>>this address. I've been buying from him for about 3 or 4 years. I
>
> find
>
>>>Targus hooks to be expensive!
>>>
>>>www.thefishguy.com
>>

>>He's not answering emails, which sounds like a bad sign to me.
>>
>>Willi

Sierra fisher
February 22nd, 2004, 01:28 AM
this is a part time venture for this guy so don't give up. He has always
treated me right, though not always promptly

"Willi" > wrote in message

> just al wrote:
> > answering e-mails? Who. I don't want bad advice.
>

> The Fish Guy
>
> Willi

> > from

> > find

> >>He's not answering emails, which sounds like a bad sign to me.
> >>
> >>Willi

---

vincent p. norris
February 22nd, 2004, 05:09 PM
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:28:15 -0800, "Sierra fisher"
> wrote:

>this is a part time venture for this guy so don't give up. He has always
>treated me right, though not always promptly

I sent him emails on January 25 and again on February 1. Three weeks
have passed. No answer. What do you make of that?

vince

Sierra fisher
February 23rd, 2004, 06:45 AM
Cabelas has some Japanese hooks that they market under their own name. As
long as you buy 50 or more of each size/style, they are generally about $10
per hundred. I have been happly with them except for one batch of size 12
dry fly hooks. I've had a few of these straighten out. No problems with
anything else.

There is a consitent rumor that nearly all Jaanese hooks are made by the
same people. Targus claims that they are different. If they are, it
doesn't help their price much. they re about $14 per hundred.

"just al" > wrote in message
> I tie for myslef but learned on Dai Riki and Tiempco. I've been teaching
> locals at a nearby tackle shop and the shop wants to carry materials.
After
> working for a high end shop in Montana, I can't suggest economy hooks. It
> seems that most recipes call for mustad. Tiempco and Dai Riki are far too
> expensive for the locals here.
>
> What do you think about Eagle Claw? Other suggestions of quality brand
> materials or wholesalers would be appreciated. The guys that I help out
> (not work for) need to start slowly.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Al

---

Sierra fisher
February 23rd, 2004, 06:49 AM
I just noticed that The Fish Guy updated his site on jan 28, 2004, 3 days
after you emailed him the first time.

"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:28:15 -0800, "Sierra fisher"
> > wrote:
>
> >this is a part time venture for this guy so don't give up. He has
always
> >treated me right, though not always promptly
>
> I sent him emails on January 25 and again on February 1. Three weeks
> have passed. No answer. What do you make of that?
>
> vince

---

Willi
February 23rd, 2004, 06:49 AM
Sierra fisher wrote:

> Cabelas has some Japanese hooks that they market under their own name. As
> long as you buy 50 or more of each size/style, they are generally about $10
> per hundred. I have been happly with them except for one batch of size 12
> dry fly hooks. I've had a few of these straighten out. No problems with
> anything else.
>
> There is a consitent rumor that nearly all Jaanese hooks are made by the
> same people. Targus claims that they are different. If they are, it
> doesn't help their price much. they re about $14 per hundred.

I've heard that rumor too. But if it is true, that factory makes a
number of grades of hooks. Not all Japanese hooks are the same.

Willi

Willi
February 23rd, 2004, 06:54 AM
Sierra fisher wrote:

> I just noticed that The Fish Guy updated his site on jan 28, 2004, 3 days
> after you emailed him the first time.

Still not a good excuse for not answering emails. That's an important
part of running an online shop. Personally, I wouldn't deal with an
online vendor that doesn't return emails.

PS I have dealt with him in the past with no problems.

Willi