PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Materials?

just al
February 21st, 2004, 05:02 PM
I posted a hook question earlier. Thanks for all the replied. I'm looking
for bulk materials for personal tying. Having always purchased beads from
fly shops, and being that there aren't any "good ones" nearby. I am
interested in buying gold beads in bulk, cheaply.

I've hit the local craft stores but they won't order any for me and only
sell plastic ones. Web searches haven't been productive.

Tom Littleton
February 21st, 2004, 08:31 PM
Al,
Check with Hook and Hackle, in NY State.....I think they sell beads in bulk,
but am not sure.
Tom

flyline
February 21st, 2004, 08:33 PM
Best deals I've seen have been on ebay. See, for example,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3661415668&category=23816

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3660971141&category=7299

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3661679416&category=7299

--
flyline

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and Play consists of
whatever a body is not obliged to do." - Mark Twain

"just al" > wrote in message
> I posted a hook question earlier. Thanks for all the replied. I'm
looking
> for bulk materials for personal tying. Having always purchased beads from
> fly shops, and being that there aren't any "good ones" nearby. I am
> interested in buying gold beads in bulk, cheaply.
>
> I've hit the local craft stores but they won't order any for me and only
> sell plastic ones. Web searches haven't been productive.

just al
February 21st, 2004, 10:22 PM
Thanks. I've never used e-bay. Dude, it's deadly. I put out ten bids on
different stuff.

Thanks, I think...back to ebay...
"flyline" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Best deals I've seen have been on ebay. See, for example,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3661415668&category=23816

> or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3660971141&category=7299

> or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3661679416&category=7299

> --
> flyline
>
> "Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and Play consists of
> whatever a body is not obliged to do." - Mark Twain
>
> "just al" > wrote in message
> > I posted a hook question earlier. Thanks for all the replied. I'm
> looking
> > for bulk materials for personal tying. Having always purchased beads
from
> > fly shops, and being that there aren't any "good ones" nearby. I am
> > interested in buying gold beads in bulk, cheaply.
> >
> > I've hit the local craft stores but they won't order any for me and only
> > sell plastic ones. Web searches haven't been productive.

just al
February 21st, 2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks, Tom. It's about an hour north of here. They have good prices but I
haven't found "deals." I wish they had a show room. I drove by one day
hoping to look around and they aren't open to the public, strictly catalog.

"Tom Littleton" > wrote in message
> Al,
> Check with Hook and Hackle, in NY State.....I think they sell beads in
bulk,
> but am not sure.
> Tom

Salmo Bytes
February 21st, 2004, 10:55 PM
"just al" > wrote in message >...
> I posted a hook question earlier. Thanks for all the replied. I'm looking
> for bulk materials for personal tying. Having always purchased beads from
> fly shops, and being that there aren't any "good ones" nearby. I am
> interested in buying gold beads in bulk, cheaply.
>
> I've hit the local craft stores but they won't order any for me and only
> sell plastic ones. Web searches haven't been productive.

Lakeland: http://www.lakelandinc.com

Hagens: http://www.hagensfish.com

Scott Seidman
February 23rd, 2004, 01:36 PM
"just al" > wrote in
:

> I posted a hook question earlier. Thanks for all the replied. I'm
> looking for bulk materials for personal tying. Having always
> purchased beads from fly shops, and being that there aren't any "good
> ones" nearby. I am interested in buying gold beads in bulk, cheaply.
>
> I've hit the local craft stores but they won't order any for me and
> only sell plastic ones. Web searches haven't been productive.

Try www.greycliff.com. They sell bulk beads for less than $8/100!

They are some sort of publisher who have/had some sort of relationship with
Gary Lafontaine, and much of the materials they sell support the tying of
Lafontaine-style flies. I've heard some people report that they get snippy
when you order materials without ordering books, but they don't seem to
mention this on their website.

I've personally never ordered from them, but this seems like a great deal.
If you do order, let us know if they grumble

Scott

vincent p. norris
February 23rd, 2004, 02:15 PM
>Try www.greycliff.com. They sell bulk beads for less than $8/100!
>
>They are some sort of publisher who have/had some sort of relationship with
>Gary Lafontaine,....

I believe Gary owned that company.

> I've heard some people report that they get snippy when you order materials
>without ordering books, but they don't seem to mention this on their website.

In the printed catalog, they request that customers not do that. They
lose money on such orders.

I recommend signing up to receive the printed catalog, known as The
Book Mailer. Comes out several times a year. Good reading.

vince

JR
February 24th, 2004, 07:19 AM
just al wrote:

> I posted a hook question earlier. Thanks for all the replied. I'm looking
> for bulk materials for personal tying. Having always purchased beads from
> fly shops, and being that there aren't any "good ones" nearby. I am
> interested in buying gold beads in bulk, cheaply.
>
> I've hit the local craft stores but they won't order any for me and only
> sell plastic ones. Web searches haven't been productive.

For the past few years, I've gotten all my standard size beads from Dan
Bailey's. 100-packs for $5.95.

http://www.dan-bailey.com/PDF/2004/2004%20Pg%2046-65.pdf

(p. 53)

JR