PDA

View Full Version : Bluegill Favorites?

Skip Summer
February 22nd, 2004, 01:51 PM
Favorite bluegill flies?
Best color combinations?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks Skip

George Adams
February 22nd, 2004, 03:33 PM
>From: (Skip Summer)

Wow! With a name like Skip Summer, I thought you'd be into ice fishing. <G>

Sorry, couldn't resist....Big Dale and Stan Gula will likely be along shortly
with some real answers.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Tim J.
February 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM

Better yet, http://gula.org/roffswaps/swap.php?page=BG2003&id=11
--
TL,
Tim

Hooked
February 22nd, 2004, 11:12 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> Better yet, http://gula.org/roffswaps/swap.php?page=BG2003&id=11
> --

There' a fly I use that is tied kind of "Thundercreek" style but I add
rubber legs to it. I tie it on size 10-6 dry fly hooks. I'll post a pic to
a.b.p.f.

Big Dale
February 23rd, 2004, 12:17 AM
Skip wrote:>Favorite bluegill flies?
>Best color combinations?
>Any help appreciated.
>Thanks Skip

1.Yellow foam spider, or gurgler when they will take something on top in
Yellow, chartreuse, or purple.

2. Red Ass soft hackle tied to the rear of the foam spider.

3. Green Weenie in chartreuse of course.

4. Cap Spider in black, olive, brown or chartreuse. When you need to get the
jig down to where the big ones live.

big Dale

DaveMohnsen
February 23rd, 2004, 03:17 PM
"Big Dale" > wrote in message
> Skip wrote:>Favorite bluegill flies?
> >Best color combinations?
> >Any help appreciated.
> >Thanks Skip

(some Big Dale stuff snipped)

2. Red Ass soft hackle tied to the rear of the foam spider.

> big Dale

Hi Big Dale,
The above combination is deadly for bluegills out here when I go into my
bluegill mode during Spring runoff. I just tie tippet to the bend of the
hook of the foam bug and then tie the red ass soft hackle to that. Length
of that tippet varies based on mood of the 'gills and where I'm fishing.
(just kinda the standard dropper system I mostly use for trout also)
Thanks for reminding me. . . looked at my 'gill box. Gotta tie up some
more.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Big Dale
February 23rd, 2004, 09:06 PM
Dave wrote:>2. Red Ass soft hackle tied to the rear of the foam spider.

>> big Dale
>
>Hi Big Dale,
>The above combination is deadly for bluegills out here when I go into my
>bluegill mode during Spring runoff. I just tie tippet to the bend of the
>hook of the foam bug and then tie the red ass soft hackle to that. Length
>of that tippet varies based on mood of the 'gills and where I'm fishing.
>(just kinda the standard dropper system I mostly use for trout also)
>Thanks for reminding me. . . looked at my 'gill box. Gotta tie up some
>more.
>BestWishes,
>DaveMohnsen
>Denver
You might try tying a few using red wire for the abdomen. sometimes I like it
better.

Big Dale