PDA

View Full Version : Re: who invented it 'Cats Whisker' streamer/lure pattern

Derek.Moody
February 27th, 2004, 09:24 AM
In article >, Aquazur-Dra
> wrote:
> 'Cats Whisker' is a very famous streamer/lure pattern and is used by fly
> fishermen all over the world but do you know who invented it ??.

Is that the yellow job with white marabou fluff and (unless you excel at
destroying neighbourhood yowlers) a few strands of bucktail?

Very much a pond rainbow catcher I'd have thought. I've seen them with
metal eyes big enough to resemble a dog nobbler in action so they may have
been inspired by Housby (or t'other way round).

Cheerio,

--

Hooked
February 27th, 2004, 11:31 PM
"Aquazur-Dra" > wrote in message
> 'Cats Whisker' is a very famous streamer/lure pattern and is used by fly
> fishermen all over the world but do you know who invented it ??.
>
> Thanks

Here's an interesting article about the Cat's Whisker that lists David Train
as the original tyer.

http://www.about-flyfishing.com/library/patterns/blcatswhiskers.htm

Tony Deacon
February 28th, 2004, 08:33 AM
"Aquazur-Dra" > wrote in message
> 'Cats Whisker' is a very famous streamer/lure pattern and is used by fly
> fishermen all over the world but do you know who invented it ??.

Try this:

http://business.virgin.net/british.classic/catswhisker.html

The previous reference gave a dressing with only a wing of white marabou. It
should have a tail, as well. Apparently, the originator used white cat's
whiskers to stiffen the marabou in an attempt to prevent it wrappng round
and getting caught up around the hook bend.

Tight Lines,
Tony Deacon