PDA

View Full Version : Bronze Mallard sub?

RalphH
February 27th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Is there any way to dye grey mallard flank so it can sub for bronze mallrd
flank?

--

there are no numbers in my email addy. Please remove to reply

Sierra fisher
February 27th, 2004, 11:35 PM
If my memory serves me right, bronze mallard are certain feathers, and not
necessarily bronze in color. I believe that they are the feathers that are
in the arm pit of the duck. They are the transitional feather from breast
to wing. They look a lot like breast feathers but they are much longer and
a bit stronger. Because of this additonal strength, they are often used for
wings on flies

"RalphH" > wrote in message
> Is there any way to dye grey mallard flank so it can sub for bronze mallrd
> flank?
>
> --
>
> there are no numbers in my email addy. Please remove to reply

---

Mike Connor
February 27th, 2004, 11:41 PM
> "RalphH" > wrote in message
> > Is there any way to dye grey mallard flank so it can sub for bronze
mallrd
> > flank?

You can dye it dark brown, and it is not too bad, but really there is no
good substitute for bronze mallard. Depending on what you want it for, you
would be better served obtaining the real thing.

TL
MC

jim smith
February 27th, 2004, 11:44 PM
In article <n2L%b.611539$JQ1.31364@pd7tw1no>,
"RalphH" > wrote:

> Is there any way to dye grey mallard flank so it can sub for bronze mallrd
> flank?
>
> --
>
> there are no numbers in my email addy. Please remove to reply

Ralph it is possible to dye grey mallard flank various shades of brown
but you cannot get the look of true bronze mallard. I do not know if the
fish are as critical as we are though . If you want instructions on how
to dye feathers and fur have a look at my web pages at
http://www.wetfly.co.uk. The dyes I use are Veniards dyes they do a
simple cheap job. jim

Mike Connor
February 27th, 2004, 11:46 PM
"Sierra fisher" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> If my memory serves me right, bronze mallard are certain feathers, and
not
> necessarily bronze in color. I believe that they are the feathers that
are
> in the arm pit of the duck. They are the transitional feather from breast
> to wing. They look a lot like breast feathers but they are much longer
and
> a bit stronger. Because of this additonal strength, they are often used
for
> wings on flies

Bronze mallard feathers are greyish with dark brown tips, speckled with
black. They are found on the shoulders of the duck. The better the quality,
the more and darker the brown. Here is a picture;

http://www.rockymountainflies.com/79.jpg

TL
MC

jim smith
February 28th, 2004, 04:05 PM
In article >,
"Mike Connor" > wrote:

> "Sierra fisher" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > If my memory serves me right, bronze mallard are certain feathers, and
> not
> > necessarily bronze in color. I believe that they are the feathers that
> are
> > in the arm pit of the duck. They are the transitional feather from breast
> > to wing. They look a lot like breast feathers but they are much longer
> and
> > a bit stronger. Because of this additonal strength, they are often used
> for
> > wings on flies
> >

> Bronze mallard feathers are greyish with dark brown tips, speckled with
> black. They are found on the shoulders of the duck. The better the quality,
> the more and darker the brown. Here is a picture;
>
> http://www.rockymountainflies.com/79.jpg
>
> TL
> MC

Bronze Mallard should be fairly easy to get by mail order although if
you are after top quality anything its always a bit harder. A good
source for most wet fly type feathers in the UK is Steve Cooper at
CooksHill fly tying. In the U.S a pal of mine sent me over to yorkshire
a bulk packet of bronzes from the states they were brilliant and were
packaged by ray rumpf. I understand rumpf sell across a wide area in the
states. jim
http://www.wetfly.co.uk

Ronn Lucas
March 11th, 2004, 04:33 AM
--

Happy Trails!
Ronn

http://flyanglersonline.com/
The best fly fishing & tying web site.

Depends on what you want to do with it Ralph. The natural feathers have a
beautiful gradation of color that just cannot be duplicated. Generally, I
would say no to your question as long as you were trying to duplicate it.

Happy Trails!
Ronn