PDA

View Full Version : Lee Wulff Flies

Stuart DeWolfe
February 29th, 2004, 04:16 PM
I am looking to find a book with Lee Wulff patterns , tying instructions,&
fishing tips. Does anyone know of such a book. If you know of such a book I
sure would appreciate knowing the Author & who it is published by so I can
purchase one.
Thanks in advance
Stu.

Chas Wade
February 29th, 2004, 11:01 PM
"Ernie" > wrote:

>I lost all respect for Lee Wolf when he was shown on the cover of
>a popular Fly Fishing Magazine holding a Big trout. It was
>supposed to be a live trout, but was obviously dead. The eyes
>tell every time. I learned later he had the fish in a freezer
>for a week.

Just about all the famous fishermen have stories told about them like
that. If you'd mention whicj magazine and even an estimated date, I'd
enjoy looking it up. In any event, none of us is so pure that we
should condemn a man for one mistake.

"People of the world relax"

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Ernie
March 1st, 2004, 03:24 AM
"Chas Wade" > wrote in message
> "Ernie" > wrote:
> >
> >I lost all respect for Lee Wolf when he was shown on the cover
of
> >a popular Fly Fishing Magazine holding a Big trout. It was
> >supposed to be a live trout, but was obviously dead. The eyes
> >tell every time. I learned later he had the fish in a freezer
> >for a week.
>
> Just about all the famous fishermen have stories told about
them like
> that. If you'd mention whicj magazine and even an estimated
date, I'd
> enjoy looking it up. In any event, none of us is so pure that
we
> should condemn a man for one mistake.
> Chas

Chas,
It was the cover of FlyFishing about 15 years ago. I'd look it
up but sold all my magazines. A live fish held out of water will
have his eyes pointing down. You would be surprised at the
amount of them that they say are alive, but their eyes are
pointing level.
Ernie

Chas Wade
March 3rd, 2004, 06:35 PM
"Ernie" > wrote:
>Chas,
> It was the cover of FlyFishing about 15 years ago. I'd look it
>up but sold all my magazines. A live fish held out of water will
>have his eyes pointing down. You would be surprised at the
>amount of them that they say are alive, but their eyes are
>pointing level.

I think that's a pretty good diagnostic. I've seen some fish still
hold their eyes down after being bonked, and I have some pictures of
steelhead that swam away vigorously despite the fact that their eyes
are up in the pictures.

I've seen a few magazine pictures with a guy holding his stuffed fish
in a nearly natural way, but the upright fins and the open mouth were
just too perfect.

15 years ago, most folks were still keeping fish. You also have to
consider that getting a picture of Lee Wulff with a fish is great stuff
for selling magazines. It may not even have been his fish. I'd
complain if the article claimed it was some sort of a record fish that
had been released unweighed, or if it was like that "world record bass"
we saw pictures of recently.