PDA

View Full Version : Fly tying work place

Robert Piil
March 1st, 2004, 12:50 AM
About a year ago, I asked for good ideas to organize my flytying work
place. I havn't got around to do anything about it yet, but the
webpage I made then still exists (and have recently been updated with
navigation and some CSS-design).

If anyone has further suggestions, I will be glad to put them on the
web page. Also further links links will be accepted with gratitude.

Who knows, some day I might even get around to design my own perfect
work place, and get a picture of it on the page.

--
Robert Piil
http://piil.org (danish)

Babs
March 1st, 2004, 12:20 PM
This is my first post here, but I have hung out for a while.

Utahonthefly has some postings of what may help you. Titled Fly Desks.

http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Also check out flyanglersonline. In the fly tying forum there was a
thread that had some images. I think it may be on page 2 or 3 now.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/002589.html

Hope this posts O.K. and it is a help.

Babs

Babs
March 1st, 2004, 12:20 PM
This is my first post here, but I have hung out for a while.

Utahonthefly has some postings of what may help you. Titled Fly Desks.

http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Also check out flyanglersonline. In the fly tying forum there was a
thread that had some images. I think it may be on page 2 or 3 now.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/002589.html

Hope this posts O.K. and it is a help.

Babs

Robert Piil
March 1st, 2004, 03:35 PM
On 1 Mar 2004 04:20:49 -0800, (Babs) wrote:

>http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
>
>Also check out flyanglersonline. In the fly tying forum there was a
>thread that had some images. I think it may be on page 2 or 3 now.
>
>http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/002589.html
>
>Hope this posts O.K. and it is a help.

It did - twice ;-)

Thanks for the links, they are very good for inspiration. To use them
on my page though, I'd have to ask for permission before collecting
and uploading them. Just finding out whom to ask ...

Thanks for the links

Babs
March 1st, 2004, 07:59 PM
Sorry for the double posts.

Babs

Babs
March 2nd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Robert, if you are interested, you are welcome to use mine.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showgallery.php?stype=2&si=Tyflyer&cat=500&sort=1&ppuser=2553

I will be adding to the gallery in the next couple of days.

Babs

Kevin
March 3rd, 2004, 03:14 AM
There are some really hardcore tiers out there. Maybe some day I'll have
more time. Got some great ideas. Thanks , Robert and Babs
"Robert Piil" > wrote in message
li.dk...
> About a year ago, I asked for good ideas to organize my flytying work
> place. I havn't got around to do anything about it yet, but the
> webpage I made then still exists (and have recently been updated with
> navigation and some CSS-design).
>
> If anyone has further suggestions, I will be glad to put them on the
> web page. Also further links links will be accepted with gratitude.
>
> Who knows, some day I might even get around to design my own perfect
> work place, and get a picture of it on the page.
>
> --
> Robert Piil
> http://piil.org (danish)
> http://piil.org/flytying/

Conan the Librarian
March 4th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Robert Piil > wrote in message >...

> If anyone has further suggestions, I will be glad to put them on the
> web page. Also further links links will be accepted with gratitude.

I e-mailed you directly, but in case your spam filters may have
blocked it, here are a couple of pictures of the portable tying
station I built: http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation01.jpg and
http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation04.jpg

It was made from curly cherry for the top, a quilted maple drawer
front and quartersawn sycamore for the spool storage and
vise/tool-storage arms. It's approximately 24" across and 16" deep.
I came up with the idea for the design by looking at images of various
desks/stations and picking elements I liked. (for example, a Google
Images search on the words "fly tying desk" pulls up some good
pictures.)

Chuck Vance

Robert Piil
March 4th, 2004, 09:54 PM
On 4 Mar 2004 06:27:41 -0800, (Conan the Librarian)
wrote:

> I e-mailed you directly, but in case your spam filters may have
>blocked it, here are a couple of pictures of the portable tying
>station I built: http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation01.jpg and
>http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation04.jpg

I recieved it, but you'll have to have a little patience with me. Have
been quite busy at work the last few days.

--
Robert Piil
http://piil.org (danish)

Robert Piil
March 6th, 2004, 12:24 PM
On 2 Mar 2004 15:26:54 -0800, (Babs) wrote:

>Robert, if you are interested, you are welcome to use mine.

I am, but could you please send them to me directly (my email is
working), to avoid the "hosted at Myflyfishingpictures.com"-message?

Thank's
--
Robert Piil
http://piil.org (danish)

Robert Piil
March 6th, 2004, 12:31 PM
wrote:

> I e-mailed you directly, but in case your spam filters may have
>blocked it, here are a couple of pictures of the portable tying
>station I built: http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation01.jpg and
>http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation04.jpg

Done. A week on nigth shifts and overtime is finally at it's end.

Thank's for the pictures. It's very nice, and pretty close to my dream
of a fly tying station, unless I go for the big one, which would be a
roll-top.

--
Robert Piil
http://piil.org (danish)

Conan the Librarian
March 8th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Robert Piil > wrote in message >...

> Done. A week on nigth shifts and overtime is finally at it's end.
>
> Thank's for the pictures. It's very nice, and pretty close to my dream
> of a fly tying station, unless I go for the big one, which would be a
> roll-top.

Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for collecting all of those
in one place. If I'd had a source like your site when I started out,
who knows what my station would have looked like. :-)

My reasoning for making a portable station had to do with space. I
do a lot of tying in my shop/garage. This station fits neatly on my
workbench, but can be lifted off and set aside when I need the bench
for woodworking projects.

Chuck Vance

Sr.
March 11th, 2004, 02:28 PM
I have an uncle who owns a sawmill. I had him saw me a 4" X 20+" piece of
oak, that I then sanded and sanded and sanded (didn't have access to a big
enough planer-plus I wore out two belt sanders...thanks Sears!!)and sanded
sum moore until I finally got it all nice and smooth. Made some legs, and
now have a very nice tying table. I get all kind ouf nice comments from
both the tying fans and others. I can leave the stuff out and go tie a
single fly if I so desire.
Sr.

"Robert Piil" > wrote in message
li.dk...
> About a year ago, I asked for good ideas to organize my flytying work
> place. I havn't got around to do anything about it yet, but the
> webpage I made then still exists (and have recently been updated with
> navigation and some CSS-design).
>
> If anyone has further suggestions, I will be glad to put them on the
> web page. Also further links links will be accepted with gratitude.
>
> Who knows, some day I might even get around to design my own perfect
> work place, and get a picture of it on the page.
>
> --
> Robert Piil
> http://piil.org (danish)
> http://piil.org/flytying/

Hooked
March 12th, 2004, 07:11 AM
"Sr." > wrote in message
. ..
> I have an uncle who owns a sawmill. I had him saw me a 4" X 20+" piece
of
> oak, that I then sanded and sanded and sanded (didn't have access to a big
> enough planer-plus I wore out two belt sanders...thanks Sears!!)and sanded
> sum moore until I finally got it all nice and smooth. Made some legs, and
> now have a very nice tying table. I get all kind ouf nice comments from
> both the tying fans and others. I can leave the stuff out and go tie a
> single fly if I so desire.
> Sr.

A 4" x 20" tying table?

Ain't it kind of marow?

Hooked
March 12th, 2004, 07:22 AM
"Hooked" > wrote in message

> Ain't it kind of marow?

That should be "Ain't it kind of narrow?"

How that got past the spell checker I'll never know.

Oh. Wait. I know. Microsoft.