PDA

View Full Version : Biot-Substitute??

March 4th, 2004, 09:44 PM
IS there anything you could use as a substitute natural biot material??
Thanks Mike

Stephen Welsh
March 4th, 2004, 10:21 PM
> wrote in :

> IS there anything you could use as a substitute natural biot material??
> Thanks Mike

Intended use?

Steve

March 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Patterns in general....MIKE
"Stephen Welsh" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> > wrote in :
>
> > IS there anything you could use as a substitute natural biot
material??
> > Thanks Mike
> >

> Intended use?
>
> Steve

Stephen Welsh
March 8th, 2004, 09:52 PM
> wrote in :

> Patterns in general....MIKE

The reason I asked is that I've read where materials such as Tyvek (floppy
disc sleeves - remember those ;-) have been suggested as subs. for biots
used as Prince Nymph wings. The idea was to cut them to shape ... lot of
trouble IMO when biots a easy enough to find, though not necessarily the
length and colour you're after.

Often biot patterns call for goose biots, they don't have to be though.
Do you have any primary flight feathers?
Biots are taken from leading edge. Have a look at:

http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/biot/

HTH,

;-)

Steve

Mike Bernardoni
March 9th, 2004, 05:42 AM
THANKS!! I have a sack full of primary feathers and was dum to the fact
where the biot came from. I had a good supply of biots and didn't even
know it!! Thanks for the helpfull link. MIKE

--
Grab your pig’s feet, bread, and gin,
there’s plenty in the kitchen.

Me
March 20th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Depending on size and color, false eyelashes work well.

Gary
> wrote in message
> IS there anything you could use as a substitute natural biot material??
> Thanks Mike

March 22nd, 2004, 05:44 PM
Thanks!! MIKE