PDA

View Full Version : best thing to put in a pond

JP
May 14th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Dear all,

I have a pond in NW England about 20ft across and about 4ft deep, with a
regular supply of water running in and out of it. It was dredged this
winter, and at the moment is full of green frothy scum that seems to be
coming up from the bottom in whispy strands that we scrape off regularly.
It is also visited by ducks and the occasional heron.
What I would like is one or more types of fish to graze the pond and keep it
healthy and clear, be compatible with each other and whatever else is in
there, and survive the heron. I know nothing about fish so forgive my
ignorance if this is asking the impossible.
It would also be nice if we could eat them sometimes.

Kind regards, JP

Rodney
May 14th, 2004, 07:19 PM
JP wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a pond in NW England about 20ft across and about 4ft deep, with a
> regular supply of water running in and out of it. It was dredged this
> winter, and at the moment is full of green frothy scum that seems to be
> coming up from the bottom in whispy strands that we scrape off regularly.
> It is also visited by ducks and the occasional heron.
> What I would like is one or more types of fish to graze the pond and keep it
> healthy and clear, be compatible with each other and whatever else is in
> there, and survive the heron. I know nothing about fish so forgive my
> ignorance if this is asking the impossible.
> It would also be nice if we could eat them sometimes.
>
> Kind regards, JP

Do a "pond scum" search on Google,, you will get hundreds of web sites
dedicated to it's removal,, just too much to post here

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

JStONGE123
May 14th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Stock it wuth bluefin tuna and Black Marlin. :-)

The Durango 95 purred away real horrorshow. A nice warm vibratey feeling all
through your guttiwuts.

daytripper
May 14th, 2004, 11:07 PM
On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:19:31 -0500, Rodney .> wrote:

>JP wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have a pond in NW England about 20ft across and about 4ft deep, with a
>> regular supply of water running in and out of it. It was dredged this
>> winter, and at the moment is full of green frothy scum that seems to be
>> coming up from the bottom in whispy strands that we scrape off regularly.
>> It is also visited by ducks and the occasional heron.
>> What I would like is one or more types of fish to graze the pond and keep it
>> healthy and clear, be compatible with each other and whatever else is in
>> there, and survive the heron. I know nothing about fish so forgive my
>> ignorance if this is asking the impossible.
>> It would also be nice if we could eat them sometimes.
>>
>> Kind regards, JP
>>

>Do a "pond scum" search on Google,, you will get hundreds of web sites
>dedicated to it's removal,, just too much to post here

"Googling for Pond Scum"

Sound like a FOX reality show ;-)

I'd head to rec.ponds and ask for assistance. They know ponds, and green algae
infestations can be cured...

Bob La Londe
May 15th, 2004, 12:29 AM
The best thing to put in a pond is your fishing line.
--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Rodney
May 15th, 2004, 01:17 AM
daytripper wrote:

> "Googling for Pond Scum"
>
> Sound like a FOX reality show ;-)

More like a lawyer convention

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Sully
May 15th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Check out the newsgroup rec.ponds
They have plenty of pond experts all over the country. I am quite sure
you will get plenty of responses from folks who know
Sully

JP wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a pond in NW England about 20ft across and about 4ft deep, with a
> regular supply of water running in and out of it. It was dredged this
> winter, and at the moment is full of green frothy scum that seems to be
> coming up from the bottom in whispy strands that we scrape off regularly.
> It is also visited by ducks and the occasional heron.
> What I would like is one or more types of fish to graze the pond and keep it
> healthy and clear, be compatible with each other and whatever else is in
> there, and survive the heron. I know nothing about fish so forgive my
> ignorance if this is asking the impossible.
> It would also be nice if we could eat them sometimes.
>
> Kind regards, JP

JP
May 16th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks for that, I'll try that other newsgroup -

Take care, JP

Musashi
May 17th, 2004, 08:37 PM
"JP" > wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I have a pond in NW England about 20ft across and about 4ft deep, with a
> regular supply of water running in and out of it. It was dredged this
> winter, and at the moment is full of green frothy scum that seems to be
> coming up from the bottom in whispy strands that we scrape off regularly.
> It is also visited by ducks and the occasional heron.
> What I would like is one or more types of fish to graze the pond and keep
it
> healthy and clear, be compatible with each other and whatever else is in
> there, and survive the heron. I know nothing about fish so forgive my
> ignorance if this is asking the impossible.
> It would also be nice if we could eat them sometimes.
>
> Kind regards, JP

You could order some Grass Carp that will eat the green stuff out of your
pond
but I can't vouch for how tasty they'd be.

Rodney
May 17th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Musashi wrote:

> You could order some Grass Carp that will eat the green stuff out of your
> pond
> but I can't vouch for how tasty they'd be.

Young grass carp will eat this "type" algae, but older ones won't