PDA

View Full Version : Rod/Reel for surf and pier fishing?

ROBMURR
September 29th, 2003, 07:13 PM
I have a Daiwa 4000C spinning reel and an 8ft medium action rod to use.
Should I get a 10ft or longer rod for the surf? (want to cast far)
Should I get a shorter rod for use on the pier?
Dont do much sal****er fishing except on vacations...
Any websites for learning how to cast further would be helpfull too.
Thanks!
Rob

licker
September 29th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Try practicing to learn to cast farther. Purchase a dummy plug and go to a
field and just practice. A longer rod will help you throw farther. You may
have to use a two hand cast with a long surf rod. A shorter rod is not
necessary for pier fishing but may help if it is stiffer to lift the fish to
the top. I use a 7 foot medium heavy action rod and catch 4 and 5 LB reds
off an old bridge. The distant between top of pier and water is 20 plus
feet. I use a 36 inch round crab net to lift heavy fish to the top of the
bridge so a stiffer rod is not necessary.

Sarge

joe
September 30th, 2003, 03:23 AM
In article >,
(ROBMURR) wrote:

> Any websites for learning how to cast further would be helpfull too.

Check out this post and others on this message board for Florida Surf
Fishing.

http://floridasurffishing.com/cgi-bin/floridasurffishing/noteboards/gowge
archives.cgi?read=59426#59426

My budy in Jax is a surf angler and a 10 ft rod is the minimum I think
he would have. I guess it may depend on the local conditions.

The pier rod would be shorter. You are already out where you would be
casting a surf rod. The length would be diffifult to handle but more you
would not want that lever trying to get a large fish up the distance to
the pier. You also have less room to move so a stout rod you can put
some pressure on is a must.

good fishing,

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

Sphynx
September 30th, 2003, 11:12 AM
ROBMURR wrote:
> I have a Daiwa 4000C spinning reel and an 8ft medium action rod to use.
> Should I get a 10ft or longer rod for the surf? (want to cast far)
> Should I get a shorter rod for use on the pier?

Learn to cast with a longer tail. Let the lure/bait hang down to the reel.
The extra length will create more centrifugal force. A longer rod will do the
same but will weigh more and create more wind resistance. Cast aerodynamic
lures to get more distance. A 5" rebel aint going too far no matter what you
use but something like a Gibbs Darter will soar.

> Any websites for learning how to cast further would be helpfull too.

Look up one of Ron Arra's books or videos.

--
Sphynx

Steve Pickett
October 8th, 2003, 10:10 PM
In article > you write:
>ROBMURR wrote:
>> I have a Daiwa 4000C spinning reel and an 8ft medium action rod to use.
>> Should I get a 10ft or longer rod for the surf? (want to cast far)
>> Should I get a shorter rod for use on the pier?
>
>Learn to cast with a longer tail. Let the lure/bait hang down to the reel.
>The extra length will create more centrifugal force. A longer rod will do the
>same but will weigh more and create more wind resistance. Cast aerodynamic
>lures to get more distance. A 5" rebel aint going too far no matter what you
>use but something like a Gibbs Darter will soar.
>
>> Any websites for learning how to cast further would be helpfull too.
>
>Look up one of Ron Arra's books or videos.
>--
>Sphynx

Line weight can help/hurt your distance too. For most shore fishing
I've found 10 or 12 pound test to be more than enough and mostly use
6 or 8 unless theres a concern of loosing a fish due to abrasion on
rocks and such. With 10 pound line and a 1-2 ounce weight you should
really be able to do some distance with your 8 ft rod. I never got
comfortable with the long tail the other post mentioned but he's
right. Only guys who usually outcast me usually hang out more leader
than I do. So looks like time to go practice your casting technique,
with a bait or lure attached, of course..:-)
good fishing,

-Steve
--

**** Clinton: Non Gratum Anum Rodentum ****

CKLINERT
October 10th, 2003, 01:47 AM
In article >,
(Steve Pickett) writes:

>For most shore fishing
>I've found 10 or 12 pound test to be more than enough and mostly use
>6 or 8 unless theres a concern of loosing a fish due to abrasion on
>rocks and such.

To cast as far as possible and protect your line from abrasion, always
use a shock leader. Take a length of 40 or 50 pound mono long enough
to run up your rod and take a few turns around the reel, and tie it to your
15 or 20 pound main line with an Albright special knot.

It takes some time to tie a good Albright knot, but you can put a lot more
muscle into your cast without breaking the end of the line. If it breaks, you
probably can't fix it until you get home. You may eventually find that you
can use heavier line, and just not cast as far, and lower your expectations.

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

The Big One
October 12th, 2003, 12:45 AM
"CKLINERT" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (Steve Pickett) writes:
>
> >For most shore fishing
> >I've found 10 or 12 pound test to be more than enough and mostly use
> >6 or 8 unless theres a concern of loosing a fish due to abrasion on
> >rocks and such.
>
> To cast as far as possible and protect your line from abrasion, always
> use a shock leader. Take a length of 40 or 50 pound mono long enough
> to run up your rod and take a few turns around the reel, and tie it to
your
> 15 or 20 pound main line with an Albright special knot.
>
> It takes some time to tie a good Albright knot, but you can put a lot
more
> muscle into your cast without breaking the end of the line. If it breaks,
you
> probably can't fix it until you get home. You may eventually find that
you
> can use heavier line, and just not cast as far, and lower your
expectations.

> Regards,
> Cliff

For surf, try a 10' to 13' medium action rod. For a reel, look for something
with a lot of ball bearings. *Breakaway* line is good as 50 pound test is
only .55 in diameter and 20 pound is downright miniscule. And try not to
cast into the wind!
Biggie

> Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Marvin Murphy
October 12th, 2003, 05:42 AM
I've been surf fishing for 50 years. A 10' rod is the bare minimum you want
to use if you seriously want to fish. 8ft rod is about the max for pier
fishing.
"Sphynx" > wrote in message
m...
> ROBMURR wrote:
> > I have a Daiwa 4000C spinning reel and an 8ft medium action rod to use.
> > Should I get a 10ft or longer rod for the surf? (want to cast far)
> > Should I get a shorter rod for use on the pier?
>
> Learn to cast with a longer tail. Let the lure/bait hang down to the reel.
> The extra length will create more centrifugal force. A longer rod will do
the
> same but will weigh more and create more wind resistance. Cast aerodynamic
> lures to get more distance. A 5" rebel aint going too far no matter what
you
> use but something like a Gibbs Darter will soar.
>

> > Any websites for learning how to cast further would be helpfull too.
>
> Look up one of Ron Arra's books or videos.
>

> --
> Sphynx

Sphynx
October 12th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Marvin Murphy wrote:
> I've been surf fishing for 50 years. A 10' rod is the bare minimum you want
> to use if you seriously want to fish. 8ft rod is about the max for pier
> fishing.

Competent casters (not to say that you're not) will do fine with a rod under
10 feet in length. Proper casting technique is so much more important than rod
length, and most casters don't have it. I have seen guys with 9' rods outcast
others with big sticks, simply because of better casting skills.

Application comes into play as well. If you're casting bait, only a few times
a night, then a longer rod can make up for flaws in technique.
If you are fishing lures and casting all night, stay away from the big stick. It'll
wear you out too quickly. Also the longer the rod, the more wind resistence
will come into play, slowing your delivery. Too many people are obsessed
with the idea that a long rod is necessary in the surf.

The centrifugal force that increases with a longer rod can be made up for with
learning to cast with the lure hanging down longer from the rod tip. Distance casters
do this for extra advantage even with long sticks not meant for fishing. In
fishing applications the reduced weight of the moderately sized rod will be
appreciated more by the caster.

The length of rod debate will go on forever but many great surfcasters have
gone decades fishing without a telephone pole in their arsenal.

--
Sphynx

Sphynx
October 12th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Steve Pickett wrote:
> Line weight can help/hurt your distance too. For most shore fishing
> I've found 10 or 12 pound test to be more than enough and mostly use
> 6 or 8 unless theres a concern of loosing a fish due to abrasion on
> rocks and such. With 10 pound line and a 1-2 ounce weight you should
> really be able to do some distance with your 8 ft rod. I never got
> comfortable with the long tail the other post mentioned but he's
> right. Only guys who usually outcast me usually hang out more leader
> than I do. So looks like time to go practice your casting technique,
> with a bait or lure attached, of course..:-)
> good fishing,
>
> -Steve

The smaller diameter line will add distance but the size and species
of fish you are going after will come into play as well. 10 or 12 lb test
is plain suicide for stripers, blues and even weakfish right now, since
there are so many biggies this year. And in rocky water, it's just too
weak. If you're hunting for a trophy, don't do it with such light line.
You don't hunt bear with a pellet gun and you don't chase 50 lb bass
with light line. The gimmick fishers never tell you about all
the ones that break off, only the rare, and I do mean rare, ones that
they manage to land.

The tackle industry pushes light tackle because it sells better, not
because it's more appropriate for big, sal****er beasts. On those
TV shows they sponsor, they edit out many breakoffs from using
overly light line and gear. They know you'll be more comfortable
with gear that's too light, and therfore, be more apt to buy their
product. Big fish should be hunted with proper gear.

If you want smaller line diameter, go from mono to co-polymer,
or switch to superbraid line but don't fish with line that's too light
unless there are only small fish in your area.

--
Sphynx

Sphynx
October 12th, 2003, 11:01 AM
The Big One wrote:

> For surf, try a 10' to 13' medium action rod. For a reel, look for something
> with a lot of ball bearings. *Breakaway* line is good as 50 pound test is
> only .55 in diameter and 20 pound is downright miniscule. And try not to
> cast into the wind!
> Biggie

A medium action rod will be a good fish fighter but will not load as
well as a fast action. If you want maximum distance go with the fast action
rod. For better fish fighting go with a medium. Those big, long sticks
should only be used for casting bait. throwing plugs with a 13 footer will
make you feel like quitting after only a dozen or so casts.

I think this whole ball bearing kick the makers are on right now is part
sales gimmick. Many great and successful reels in the past were not
made with a zillion ball bearings. The more of them you have, the harder
it is to clean the reel. Imagine dropping a reel in the sand and then having to
clean 11 or more bearings? Many sturdy, well made reels have been constructed
with only a few ball bearings and provided years of smooth service.

--
Sphynx

CKLINERT
October 14th, 2003, 04:01 PM
In article >, "Sphynx"
> writes:

>10 or 12 lb test
>is plain suicide for stripers, blues and even weakfish right now, since
>there are so many biggies this year. And in rocky water, it's just too
>weak

On the west coast there are storms and currents along the beach that
can quickly pile several pounds of kelp and other trash onto your line.
You either use heavier line, or quit fishing in these conditions.

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Sphynx
October 15th, 2003, 04:46 AM
CKLINERT wrote:
> In article >, "Sphynx"
> > writes:
>
>> 10 or 12 lb test
>> is plain suicide for stripers, blues and even weakfish right now, since
>> there are so many biggies this year. And in rocky water, it's just too
>> weak
>
> On the west coast there are storms and currents along the beach that
> can quickly pile several pounds of kelp and other trash onto your line.
> You either use heavier line, or quit fishing in these conditions.
>
> Regards,
> Cliff
>

> Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Good point Cliff. Here in New England, if you make the mistake of
casting into weedy water, the weeds can keep building up on your
lure as you retrieve, to the point of being so heavy that you can barely
crank the handle. Light tackle guys almost always end up snapping off
and having to buy new plugs. That's why the manufacturers love them so
much.

--
Sphynx

Gene
October 15th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Agree, and I also find that giant rods are more tiresome to handle, make
landing and handling the fish more dificult too.

It also depends WHERE you are fishing: for example, on the beaach where I
fish in Maine, the stripers are usually within "pitching" distance - even in
knee-deep water, so didtance casting is a waste of time.

"Sphynx" > wrote in message
m...
> Marvin Murphy wrote:
> > I've been surf fishing for 50 years. A 10' rod is the bare minimum you
want
> > to use if you seriously want to fish. 8ft rod is about the max for pier
> > fishing.
>
> Competent casters (not to say that you're not) will do fine with a rod
under
> 10 feet in length. Proper casting technique is so much more important than
rod
> length, and most casters don't have it. I have seen guys with 9' rods
outcast
> others with big sticks, simply because of better casting skills.
>
> Application comes into play as well. If you're casting bait, only a few
times
> a night, then a longer rod can make up for flaws in technique.
> If you are fishing lures and casting all night, stay away from the big
stick. It'll
> wear you out too quickly. Also the longer the rod, the more wind
resistence
> will come into play, slowing your delivery. Too many people are obsessed
> with the idea that a long rod is necessary in the surf.
>
> The centrifugal force that increases with a longer rod can be made up for
with
> learning to cast with the lure hanging down longer from the rod tip.
Distance casters
> do this for extra advantage even with long sticks not meant for fishing.
In
> fishing applications the reduced weight of the moderately sized rod will
be
> appreciated more by the caster.
>
> The length of rod debate will go on forever but many great surfcasters
have
> gone decades fishing without a telephone pole in their arsenal.
>
> --
> Sphynx

Stephen M. Gluck
October 16th, 2003, 01:24 PM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:44:13 GMT, "Gene" > wrote:

>Agree, and I also find that giant rods are more tiresome to handle, make
>landing and handling the fish more dificult too.
>
>It also depends WHERE you are fishing: for example, on the beaach where I
>fish in Maine, the stripers are usually within "pitching" distance - even in
>knee-deep water, so didtance casting is a waste of time.
I fish near Montauk, Near Hither Hills State Park to be exact. The
surf is pretty rough most of the time and i find that casting with
bail just beyond where the breaker line is most productive. I use a
12' spin surf rod. I am far from the world's best surf caster but, I
got 2 stripers in late August. One a keeper of 33". I know this for
a fact because a DEC agent patrols the beach on an ATV and measured my
fish. Less than 28" and the fish cost $250. For those of you who are
familiar with the place it was just behind the Ocean Vista Motel

>"Sphynx" > wrote in message
m...
>> Marvin Murphy wrote:
>> > I've been surf fishing for 50 years. A 10' rod is the bare minimum you
>want
>> > to use if you seriously want to fish. 8ft rod is about the max for pier
>> > fishing.
>>
>> Competent casters (not to say that you're not) will do fine with a rod
>under
>> 10 feet in length. Proper casting technique is so much more important than
>rod
>> length, and most casters don't have it. I have seen guys with 9' rods
>outcast
>> others with big sticks, simply because of better casting skills.
>>
>> Application comes into play as well. If you're casting bait, only a few
>times
>> a night, then a longer rod can make up for flaws in technique.
>> If you are fishing lures and casting all night, stay away from the big
>stick. It'll
>> wear you out too quickly. Also the longer the rod, the more wind
>resistence
>> will come into play, slowing your delivery. Too many people are obsessed
>> with the idea that a long rod is necessary in the surf.
>>
>> The centrifugal force that increases with a longer rod can be made up for
>with
>> learning to cast with the lure hanging down longer from the rod tip.
>Distance casters
>> do this for extra advantage even with long sticks not meant for fishing.
>In
>> fishing applications the reduced weight of the moderately sized rod will
>be
>> appreciated more by the caster.
>>
>> The length of rod debate will go on forever but many great surfcasters
>have
>> gone decades fishing without a telephone pole in their arsenal.
>>
>> --
>> Sphynx

Sphynx
October 17th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Stephen M. Gluck wrote:
> I fish near Montauk, Near Hither Hills State Park to be exact. The
> surf is pretty rough most of the time and i find that casting with
> bail just beyond where the breaker line is most productive. I use a
> 12' spin surf rod. I am far from the world's best surf caster but, I
> got 2 stripers in late August. One a keeper of 33". I know this for
> a fact because a DEC agent patrols the beach on an ATV and measured my
> fish. Less than 28" and the fish cost $250. For those of you who are
> familiar with the place it was just behind the Ocean Vista Motel

What's the point here? Because you caught two small keepers in August
doesn't prove that a long rod is the way to go. A few nights ago I got
a 38"L 21"G 21 lbs and a 43"L 24"G 31 lbs on my first four casts,
not to mention the numerous smallers around 30 to 33 inches and occasional
bluefish and I was using a 10 footer. I got a 43 and 42 pounder on consecutive
casts a while back and that was a 9 ft rod in a 7+ foot pre-tropical storm surf.

You need not be a great distance caster to be a great surf fisherman. Most
of the best fishing is close. There are also better ways to get more distance
than buying a flag pole and rigging it.
--
Sphynx

joe
October 18th, 2003, 02:56 PM
In article >,
"Sphynx" > wrote:

> You need not be a great distance caster to be a great surf fisherman. Most
> of the best fishing is close. There are also better ways to get more distance
> than buying a flag pole and rigging it.

Just like any fishing, the structure, currents and bottom contours will
affect where the bait runs or is assembled. This will determine where
the fish are.

So, maybe they are close in where you are fishing but for another
location it may be further out. Same thing for fishing pelagic species.
One port you can go a 2 - 5 miles out and another you may need to run 80
miles to get to them.

A long rod provides a longer lever and the laws of physics apply. Of
course the longer lever comes into play when fighting the fish as well.
And the longer rod, depending on construction may provide more give for
surging fish with lighter line.

An angler can probably get any tackle to work in any situation within
reason. Having the tackle best suited based on the finite factors based
on materials, capacity, physics, durability, etc. will generally improve
your chances at the specific fishing you are doing. Dynamics of angler
ability, location, weather, tides, etc. can not be considered in
assessing which tackle is better.

Of course I am siting no proof so this may come off as opinion and can
be taken as such with the appropriate significance.

regards,

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

Sphynx
October 18th, 2003, 06:57 PM
joe wrote:

> Just like any fishing, the structure, currents and bottom contours will
> affect where the bait runs or is assembled. This will determine where
> the fish are.

True. Also, the water itself can act as structure in that the last wave (or first,
however you see it) provides a feeding edge close in which will attract fish no matter
where you are. That said, I agree there are some places where the fish can
only be reached with a long cast. Still, there are options other than a long,
unwieldy stick. Anyone who thinks that the ONLY way to get more
distance is to use a longer rod does not understand casting. Length can help
but there are definite tradeoffs, like weight, wind resistance etc.

> So, maybe they are close in where you are fishing but for another
> location it may be further out. Same thing for fishing pelagic species.
> One port you can go a 2 - 5 miles out and another you may need to run 80
> miles to get to them.

Don't mean to be redundant but like I said, there are still other options
to a steeple with guides on it. Some of the best distance casters don't go over
11.5 feet. The Cape Cod Canal often requires casts of over100 to 150 yards to
reach the fish. I have stood next to guys who easily make this and more with
9.5 foot rods. Many of the Canal rods the shops sell are only 9 feet. Ask the
expert rod builders and they will tell you they only make the 12+ footers for
guys who demand it, not out of necessity.

> A long rod provides a longer lever and the laws of physics apply. Of
> course the longer lever comes into play when fighting the fish as well.
> And the longer rod, depending on construction may provide more give for
> surging fish with lighter line.

Who do you know can cast a 15 or 16 foot rod effectively? Sure, maybe for
bait fishers who cast once per half hour. But even then the wind resistance
and balance causes problems with the cast.

> Of course I am siting no proof so this may come off as opinion and can
> be taken as such with the appropriate significance.
>
> regards,
>
> atljoe

I respect your opinion, but having built many surf rods and talking to
many experts, I and other builders know just how overblown the distance/
length of rod issue is. This turned out to be a good thread. Cheers.

--
Sphynx

Jake
October 20th, 2003, 12:00 AM
"Sphynx" > wrote in message
m...
> The Big One wrote:
> >
> > For surf, try a 10' to 13' medium action rod. For a reel, look for
something
> > with a lot of ball bearings. *Breakaway* line is good as 50 pound test
is
> > only .55 in diameter and 20 pound is downright miniscule. And try not to
> > cast into the wind!
> > Biggie
> >>

> A medium action rod will be a good fish fighter but will not load as
> well as a fast action. If you want maximum distance go with the fast
action
> rod. For better fish fighting go with a medium. Those big, long sticks
> should only be used for casting bait. throwing plugs with a 13 footer will
> make you feel like quitting after only a dozen or so casts.
>
> I think this whole ball bearing kick the makers are on right now is part
> sales gimmick. Many great and successful reels in the past were not
> made with a zillion ball bearings. The more of them you have, the harder
> it is to clean the reel. Imagine dropping a reel in the sand and then
having to
> clean 11 or more bearings? Many sturdy, well made reels have been
constructed
> with only a few ball bearings and provided years of smooth service.

You are probably correct. I have talked at length with *experts* at Cabela's
and Bass Pro and they are inclined to think that the number of ball bearings
is *important*. Who are you going to talk to? Fishermen? I think not. Most
fishermen that I know are very opinionated on what good gear consists of and
generally have a favorite deep in the bowels of their tackle box that they
like for no other reason except they have had it a long time and has not
broken down. Not unlike a car. Or a wife.

> --
> Sphynx

Marvin Murphy
November 2nd, 2003, 03:16 PM
The original question was about Surf FISHING not distance casting. Almost
all beaches I fish are relatively flat. Any rod under 10' when placed in the
average sand spike in my MHO is a pain in the butt if you have any wave
action going on. They generally aren't tall enough to get your line above
the waves breaking over the first bar. As far as weight of the rod I agree
that a heavy rod is a pain in the butt but if you buy a quality rod this
isn't a problem. I cast lures (hopkins) with a 10'6" rod all day without any
fatigue. My bait caster is 12'.

"Sphynx" > wrote in message
om...
> joe wrote:
> >
> > Just like any fishing, the structure, currents and bottom contours will
> > affect where the bait runs or is assembled. This will determine where
> > the fish are.
>
> True. Also, the water itself can act as structure in that the last wave
(or first,
> however you see it) provides a feeding edge close in which will attract
fish no matter
> where you are. That said, I agree there are some places where the fish can
> only be reached with a long cast. Still, there are options other than a
long,
> unwieldy stick. Anyone who thinks that the ONLY way to get more
> distance is to use a longer rod does not understand casting. Length can
help
> but there are definite tradeoffs, like weight, wind resistance etc.
>

> > So, maybe they are close in where you are fishing but for another
> > location it may be further out. Same thing for fishing pelagic species.
> > One port you can go a 2 - 5 miles out and another you may need to run 80
> > miles to get to them.
>
> Don't mean to be redundant but like I said, there are still other options
> to a steeple with guides on it. Some of the best distance casters don't go
over
> 11.5 feet. The Cape Cod Canal often requires casts of over100 to 150
yards to
> reach the fish. I have stood next to guys who easily make this and more
with
> 9.5 foot rods. Many of the Canal rods the shops sell are only 9 feet. Ask
the
> expert rod builders and they will tell you they only make the 12+ footers
for
> guys who demand it, not out of necessity.
>

> > A long rod provides a longer lever and the laws of physics apply. Of
> > course the longer lever comes into play when fighting the fish as well.
> > And the longer rod, depending on construction may provide more give for
> > surging fish with lighter line.
>
> Who do you know can cast a 15 or 16 foot rod effectively? Sure, maybe for
> bait fishers who cast once per half hour. But even then the wind
resistance
> and balance causes problems with the cast.
>

> > Of course I am siting no proof so this may come off as opinion and can
> > be taken as such with the appropriate significance.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > atljoe
>
> I respect your opinion, but having built many surf rods and talking to
> many experts, I and other builders know just how overblown the distance/
> length of rod issue is. This turned out to be a good thread. Cheers.
>

> --
> Sphynx

Sphynx
November 3rd, 2003, 05:23 AM
Marvin Murphy wrote:
> The original question was about Surf FISHING not distance casting. Almost
> all beaches I fish are relatively flat. Any rod under 10' when placed in the
> average sand spike in my MHO is a pain in the butt if you have any wave
> action going on. They generally aren't tall enough to get your line above
> the waves breaking over the first bar. As far as weight of the rod I agree
> that a heavy rod is a pain in the butt but if you buy a quality rod this
> isn't a problem. I cast lures (hopkins) with a 10'6" rod all day without any
> fatigue. My bait caster is 12'.

The original poster never supplied info on the area he fished. I know this post
is about fishing and not distance but did you read all the threads? Where you fish
may not be like the place the OP fishes. I agree on the sand spike but mainly, I
was referring to casting plugs. The fact that you fish during the day suggests that
you are in an entirely different place than me. Here, daytime fishing is for neophytes
and googans but it's obviously not that way everywhere. In New England all
serious surf fishing for big fish is done at night where the fish are much closer.

When opting for a longer rod, more things than weight come into play, such as:
balance, wind resistance etc. If the fishing requires hundreds of casts to find the
action - and sometimes it does -a 12 footer is NOT the way to go, unless I'm
re: to Clark Kent.

Nonetheless, we ended up discussing distance because, as always, so many
people think a pole vault is necessary to get it. I was pointing out that efficient
casting, lure choice, proper trail on the end of the line etc can be more important
than the length of the rod. I know guys who use 9 footers and can cast farther
than you and me (seriously) and they are not athletes either. The longer rod
can have it's advantages under certain conditions but it is way over-emphasized
in most surf casting situations.

--
Sphynx