PDA

View Full Version : Non level wind reel

William J Daum
September 30th, 2003, 01:50 AM
I was wondering why would you want to use a non level wind reel. At first I
thought maybe it was economics. But looking at the Shimano catalog I see the
Calcuttta 700 can be had either way. I am a freshwater man who has just started
fishing Salt water and was wondering if there is some advantage that I can not
see.

Thanks,

Bill

John Benson
September 30th, 2003, 02:14 AM
the non-level wind casts further.
"William J Daum" > wrote in message
> I was wondering why would you want to use a non level wind reel. At first
> thought maybe it was economics. But looking at the Shimano catalog I see
the
> Calcuttta 700 can be had either way. I am a freshwater man who has just
started
> fishing Salt water and was wondering if there is some advantage that I can
not
> see.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Tom
September 30th, 2003, 02:43 AM
"William J Daum" > wrote in message
> I was wondering why would you want to use a non level wind reel. At first
> thought maybe it was economics. But looking at the Shimano catalog I see
the
> Calcuttta 700 can be had either way. I am a freshwater man who has just
started
> fishing Salt water and was wondering if there is some advantage that I can
not
> see.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

In the "olden days" of sal****er fishing, the level wind mechanisms were not
what they are today. Failure was fairly common, especially if the reels
were not scrupulously cared for and kept free of salt residue.

Also, distance casters (mostly surf fishermen) do not want a levelwind as it
adds line friction and reduces cast lengths.

Things have changed. Times have changed.

If you find a quality reel in level wind that you like and want to use in
salt water, there is no reason not to use it.

Tom

Shark II
Offshore Fishing NE Florida

Sam Salmon
September 30th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Past a certain point-say 50 pounds for Yellowfin-any levelwind extant
will explode under the pressure from a long run-it's all about speed
and power.

On 30 Sep 2003 00:50:01 GMT, (William J Daum)
wrote:

>I was wondering why would you want to use a non level wind reel. At first I
>thought maybe it was economics. But looking at the Shimano catalog I see the
>Calcuttta 700 can be had either way. I am a freshwater man who has just started
>fishing Salt water and was wondering if there is some advantage that I can not
>see.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill

Eddy Hops
September 30th, 2003, 02:40 PM
>Past a certain point-say 50 pounds for Yellowfin-any levelwind extant
>will explode under the pressure from a long run

Or the pressure of cranking line back on at such a drag setting... hence the
reason you see most larger reels without them.

Also it's something else to go wrong.

John D.

remove myshorts to reply

William J Daum
October 1st, 2003, 01:41 AM
Well that all makes sense. Thanks for the answers. I gotta tell you guys after
being a long time fresh water man up here in the midwest. that Salt water is
sure a gas everyhing bites( even the bait) and the way those fish run is
something else.

Thanks

Bill

Bill Kiene
October 1st, 2003, 04:57 PM
Hi Bill,

It might be a salt water durability issue. That level winder might get sand
in it?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"William J Daum" > wrote in message
> I was wondering why would you want to use a non level wind reel. At first
> thought maybe it was economics. But looking at the Shimano catalog I see
the
> Calcuttta 700 can be had either way. I am a freshwater man who has just
started
> fishing Salt water and was wondering if there is some advantage that I can
not
> see.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

CKLINERT
October 1st, 2003, 08:17 PM
In article >, "Bill Kiene"
> writes:

>It might be a salt water durability issue.

I had a Penn level wind that rusted up until it got stuck. I just discarded
the level wind part and it has worked fine ever since.

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

John Benson
October 6th, 2003, 11:11 AM
you really can cast further with a non-levelwind. Also your shock leader
knot won't get caught in the levelwind mechanism. Use a levelwind if
casting lures, but use a non-levelwind if bait fishing.
"Tom" > wrote in message

> "William J Daum" > wrote in message
> > I was wondering why would you want to use a non level wind reel. At
first
> > thought maybe it was economics. But looking at the Shimano catalog I see
> the
> > Calcuttta 700 can be had either way. I am a freshwater man who has just
> started
> > fishing Salt water and was wondering if there is some advantage that I
can
> not
> > see.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bill
>

> In the "olden days" of sal****er fishing, the level wind mechanisms were
not
> what they are today. Failure was fairly common, especially if the reels
> were not scrupulously cared for and kept free of salt residue.
>
> Also, distance casters (mostly surf fishermen) do not want a levelwind as
it
> adds line friction and reduces cast lengths.
>
> Things have changed. Times have changed.
>
> If you find a quality reel in level wind that you like and want to use in
> salt water, there is no reason not to use it.
>
> Tom
>
> Shark II
> Offshore Fishing NE Florida

Spyda Man
October 7th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Less friction equals more distance in casting. Also less parts means
less to go wrong. You'll rarely see levelwinds being used here in the
tough salt environment.

Spy in Hawaii

joe
October 7th, 2003, 11:55 AM
In article >,
(Spyda Man) wrote:

> You'll rarely see levelwinds being used here in the
> tough salt environment.

I can not speak for big game or offshore as that is not my game but that
is not the case for inshore fishing. I have used baitcasters with
levelwind for several years in the salt. If anything they hold up better
than my spinning gear. I do give up some distance and there is a wind
factor that can affect where you cast at times.

I don't use them for live/cut bait though. No bait clicker on these. I
would have to agree that casting is part of it but most of those big
non-levelwind reels are not used for much casting (maybe different niche
for surf fishing and yet another size/function). The level wind guide
would definitely add friction to the line no mater how smooth as it is
always guiding the line to one side or the other. When you manually
guide the line it follows the lay of the line on the spool partially
after you get it started as you retrieve your line.

The most important thing is to find time, no make time to use some kind
of reel. I could use some improvement in that area.

good fishing,

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

J. Sullivan
October 12th, 2003, 11:07 AM
I use alot of heaver line wire and lead core to get depth.....Level wind
will not work with this...