PDA

View Full Version : Re: teasers?

Big Tuna Bill
October 5th, 2003, 06:09 PM
in article , RB at wrote on
9/13/03 7:48 PM:

> Got a trolling bait question for you gurus. Is there a difference between
> teasers and lures? I ask because what I call lures some people refer to as
> teasers; the idea being that there are additional things towed which are
> further out than the "teasers".
>
> I'm talking here about the big colorful things such as Kona Heads, etc, with
> big bodies and long skirts. I always rigged them with trailer hooks on
> heavy cable and used them as lures.
>
> We've picked up our share of yellow fin, big Dolphin, and Blue Marlin with
> those. But, I think some guys use them primarily as teasers.
>
> If you're running teasers and trolling lures, how do the fish figure out
> which one to hit? Why go for one over the other?
>
> Any reason not to use the big lures as the only thing out? Maybe I've been
> missing out on something. I've wondered about this for a long time, so
> figured I'd finally get around to asking the pros.
>
> Just curious.

I was running a big teaser while fishing out of La Paz, Baja California Sur,
Mexico and a big blue marlin ignored the other lures and any drop back bait
we used. I finally pulled in the teaser and rigged it with 12/0 hooks and
hooked (and released) a 500# (est.) blue marlin. As my fly fishing friend
says, "Match the hatch!" Don't be afraid to pull a big/huge lure, especially
if it's what the fish want.

Stay Tuned,

Bill

"Big Tuna Bill" Ghiselin