PDA

View Full Version : prop question

licker
October 5th, 2003, 11:50 PM
I just purchased a used boat. The motor has very good compression even
though it is an older motor. I ran the boat and it seems the top speed is
around 25 MPH. at 4500 RPM. I would like to increase this speed slightly.
Here is the boat specs:

Boat is homemade from a mold of a Boston Whaler hull. so hull is shaped
like a Whaler.
Hull Material is fiberglass
Length 17 foot

Motor is a 1984 Envinrude 70 HP with a 3 blade 13.25 X 17 prop.

My question is what size prop pitch should I try to go to achieve higher top
end.

Sarge

CKLINERT
October 7th, 2003, 12:17 AM
When you order a prop, call Michigan Wheel or whatever company and
ask what size prop you can use and what RPM and speed to expect.

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Rodney
October 7th, 2003, 01:22 AM
licker wrote:

> I just purchased a used boat. The motor has very good compression even
> though it is an older motor. I ran the boat and it seems the top speed is
> around 25 MPH. at 4500 RPM. I would like to increase this speed slightly.
> Here is the boat specs:

That seams to be the right RPM's for a proper prop

> Boat is homemade from a mold of a Boston Whaler hull. so hull is shaped
> like a Whaler.
> Hull Material is fiberglass
> Length 17 foot
>
> Motor is a 1984 Envinrude 70 HP with a 3 blade 13.25 X 17 prop.
>
> My question is what size prop pitch should I try to go to achieve higher top
> end.

I think motor position (tilt) might increase this more than a prop
change. Your running a very heavy boat for a 70

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,