PDA

View Full Version : Outrigger rigging help please

LD
October 11th, 2003, 07:41 PM
I just purchased (wasted money??) a pair of Seachoice outriggers,
"complete". My idea is/was to get 2 of the 4 lines we troll with, further
out,away from the other 2 (straight off the back of my 20' boat).
I got a pic/dwg of a setup at http://www.tackletogo.com/outrigin.html which
I understand mostly.
Is the heavy line/cord kept long (I got 100' with the kit) or is it cut once
the poles have been extended all the way out (15' in my case)?

Is this outrigger pole holder installed on the boat, just forward of the rod
that the line will be attached to the clip?
Any help will be appreciated,
Thanks. LD

rb
October 14th, 2003, 03:38 AM
That diagram is confusing to me. And, I've run outriggers from several
different boats.

Your basic concept is good. Two lines straight back, and two more out to
the sides. Don't condemn those outriggers you bought just yet. Most
outriggers work fine once you're used to them.

The easy way to do outriggers is to use some small nylon line for the
rigging. What you do need is two quick release snaps for your fishing line
out toward the end of the pole. There are different kinds available, but
they all do the same job. The length of line on each outrigger will be
maybe six feet more than double the length of the poles

You'll also need rod holders close to the outrigger sockets, and some kind
of small cleat. What you do is run the line through the eyes on the rod,
and then tie the quick release gizmos in the part of the loop that doesn't
go through the eyes.

You simply clip your rod lines in the quick release gizmos, and then run 'em
out to the ends of the outriggers. Dog the loose line from the "loop"
formed by the line. It's sort of like running a flag up a pole.

You need to spool of some extra line from your rod, before you run the quick
release gizmos out to their trolling positions. This is so, once the quick
release thingees are out to the outrigger tips, you can then toss your
trolling bait over the side and it will trail out behind the outboard
outrigger tip. Once you get it in the water, then you can free spool the
line out to where you want the baits to run.

Once you dork around with the process a little, it'll be easy and quick.
And, you'll also find out just how much tension to use on the quick release
set.

LD
October 14th, 2003, 03:33 PM
OK, thanks, so far so good. If I have the outrigger mtd a ft or two in frt
of the rod holder, then I clip the line off the reel to the outrigger clip.
1. What is the purpose of the glass ring? I can see why one wants it to
slip (flagpole) but why not a brass or ss ring?
2. On the diagram it indicated a float set out near the end of the
outrigger. Purpose?

Thanks again for the help.
LD

I really don't want to start drilling 2" holes in my gunwale unless I really
need to.

"rb" > wrote in message ...
> That diagram is confusing to me. And, I've run outriggers from several
> different boats.
>
> Your basic concept is good. Two lines straight back, and two more out to
> the sides. Don't condemn those outriggers you bought just yet. Most
> outriggers work fine once you're used to them.
>
> The easy way to do outriggers is to use some small nylon line for the
> rigging. What you do need is two quick release snaps for your fishing
line
> out toward the end of the pole. There are different kinds available, but
> they all do the same job. The length of line on each outrigger will be
> maybe six feet more than double the length of the poles
>
> You'll also need rod holders close to the outrigger sockets, and some kind
> of small cleat. What you do is run the line through the eyes on the rod,
> and then tie the quick release gizmos in the part of the loop that doesn't
> go through the eyes.
>
> You simply clip your rod lines in the quick release gizmos, and then run
'em
> out to the ends of the outriggers. Dog the loose line from the "loop"
> formed by the line. It's sort of like running a flag up a pole.
>
> You need to spool of some extra line from your rod, before you run the
quick
> release gizmos out to their trolling positions. This is so, once the
quick
> release thingees are out to the outrigger tips, you can then toss your
> trolling bait over the side and it will trail out behind the outboard
> outrigger tip. Once you get it in the water, then you can free spool the
> line out to where you want the baits to run.
>
> Once you dork around with the process a little, it'll be easy and quick.
> And, you'll also find out just how much tension to use on the quick
release
> set.

John
October 14th, 2003, 05:39 PM
"LD" > wrote in message . net>...
> I just purchased (wasted money??) a pair of Seachoice outriggers,
> "complete". My idea is/was to get 2 of the 4 lines we troll with, further
> out,away from the other 2 (straight off the back of my 20' boat).
> I got a pic/dwg of a setup at http://www.tackletogo.com/outrigin.html which
> I understand mostly.
> Is the heavy line/cord kept long (I got 100' with the kit) or is it cut once
> the poles have been extended all the way out (15' in my case)?
>
> Is this outrigger pole holder installed on the boat, just forward of the rod
> that the line will be attached to the clip?
> Any help will be appreciated,
> Thanks. LD

The heavy line is eventually trimmed to length. The swivel that you
see in the picture with the line that run's back is used for adjusting
the tension on the rigger pole. With the rigger in the up position you
trim this line such that you have about 6 inches on each side of the
loop with lite tension on the rigger pole. You may have to slightly
crush the eye of the swivel on the side that you adjust with so that
it holds the line.

Now when you lower, or drop, the rigger down into the fishing position
the line will loosen up. Use the swivel to take up the slack in the
line. It's pretty simple when you get the hang of it. If you have any
trouble simply ask someone with riggers, I'm sure they'll help.
Depending on use, the lines usually have to be redone every year.

Tom
October 14th, 2003, 09:30 PM
"LD" > wrote in message
k.net...
> OK, thanks, so far so good. If I have the outrigger mtd a ft or two in
frt
> of the rod holder, then I clip the line off the reel to the outrigger
clip.
> 1. What is the purpose of the glass ring? I can see why one wants it to
> slip (flagpole) but why not a brass or ss ring?
> 2. On the diagram it indicated a float set out near the end of the
> outrigger. Purpose?
>
> Thanks again for the help.
> LD

Here is another rigging method, using tag lines on your outriggers. Tag
lines have their own pros and cons, but this is a simple to follow diagram
if you elect to use them.

http://www.candhlures.com/rigging/tagline.asp

Tom

John
October 15th, 2003, 05:27 PM
"Tom" > wrote in message news:<s1Zib.766996$YN5.742745@sccrnsc01>...
> "LD" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> > OK, thanks, so far so good. If I have the outrigger mtd a ft or two in
> frt
> > of the rod holder, then I clip the line off the reel to the outrigger
> clip.
> > 1. What is the purpose of the glass ring? I can see why one wants it to
> > slip (flagpole) but why not a brass or ss ring?
> > 2. On the diagram it indicated a float set out near the end of the
> > outrigger. Purpose?
> >
> > Thanks again for the help.
> > LD
>

> Here is another rigging method, using tag lines on your outriggers. Tag
> lines have their own pros and cons, but this is a simple to follow diagram
> if you elect to use them.
>
> http://www.candhlures.com/rigging/tagline.asp
>
> Tom

Tag lines are normally used when pulling something too heavy for the
outrigger clips, or too heavy for the tip of the rigger pole. Things
such as spreader bars with real baits on them, rather than artificals,
or spreader bar's with large artificals, or any large heavy bait.

LD
October 21st, 2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I think I got it. I really need to install them.
I had a tangle with 3 rigs the other day. While cutting loose the one in
hand, something grabbed the other 1 or 2 and broke a combined 70# of line!
I felt a "wiggle", then--hard pull, then---gone!
LD
"John" > wrote in message
om...
. net>...