PDA

View Full Version : Montauk Sportfishing Report 10/13/03

Capt Gene Kelly
October 13th, 2003, 03:25 PM
October 13, 2003

All week long the weather was beautiful, so what happens when we get to the
weekend? It
blows. Last year practically every weekend from the middle of October to the
end of the season
was a disaster. I hope this isn't the start of that trend again.

The surfcasters all are giddy with delight now that the bugs are gone and
they can fish anytime
they want. And, they're doing pretty good too, with lots of bass being taken
down by the Light,
day and night. Freddies Tackle Shop is holding their annual contest this
weekend, running from
noon Friday to noon Sunday. For information, call them at 631 668 5520.

In the Locals bass contest that runs through November, the leader board goes
as follows;
1st Place - Vic Triulo - 31.44 pounds
2nd Place - Bob Reich - 31.15 pounds
3rd Place - Dave Peresh - 31.04 pounds
Wetsuit - Fred Kalkstein - 37.00 pounds
Kids - Philip Marino - 11.38 pounds

The charterboat contest that also runs through November has one fish
entered, a 46.7 pounder
taken by Bob Liss on the ELIZABETH. There would be more fish listed, but the
captains take a
razzing if they enter a fish that has no chance of being a finalist.

The flyguys are in seventh heaven, with lots of falsies, bass and bluefish
to throw at. With small
boats though they are more affected by the weather than the charterboats, so
they would like Ole
Ma Nature to get a little cooperative too.

The bluefins have been cooperating nicely out around the draggers, but it
isn't a slam dunk. You
don't just stop the boat, throw some bait in the water and start catching.
You have to do some
fishing. The fish are there though, and if you get on them you'll probably
catch your limit fairly
easily. The main focus as of Friday was around 575/625, but those draggers
will probably keep
working west, so by next weekend, they'll probably be somewhere around the
Butterfish Hole.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at
. And for more information about fishing in
Montauk, you
can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http://www.montauksportfishing.com.

--
Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing - Tropical Fishing Adventures