PDA

View Full Version : Montauk Sportfishing Report 10/20/03

Capt Gene Kelly
October 20th, 2003, 03:20 PM
October 20, 2003

It's getting to that time of year when I stop posting these reports. The
boats out of the water, and
I only know what's going on by wandering around the docks and checking up on
the charter
boats, and that gets to be pretty boring after a while. Plus, I'm getting
too busy with the trips
down south. So, after this week, don't count on getting reports every
Monday. I will post
occasional stuff when something extra special happens, and when the Locals
Tournament and
charter boat tournaments wrap up, but other than that, this will be it until
sometime next spring.

Freddies Tackle Shop held their bass contest over the weekend, and I guess
you would have to
say that the results to it was "something extra special". It was won by John
Bruno with a 47.7
pounder. Second and third weren't too shabby either, with a 36.34 pound fish
taken by Alex
Castillo and one weighing 25.06 pounds by Gary "The Toad" Stevens.

It seems like the tuna fishing is close to done. A handful of boats fished
this past week, and even
though they found draggers, they didn't find many fish. The best that I
heard of was on Sunday
when the HALFBACK took two bluefins and a couple of bluesharks fishing
around the 600 line
to the south of the Point. Other boats didn't get any.

The inshore fishing right now is pretty much what you can usually expect
here in the fall. The
striped bass fishing is excellent, with lots of boats doing all kinds of
fishing. For the past couple
of days those fishing with eels haven't been doing much, but I'm sure that's
just a temporary
thing. The falsies are still here and will probably remain for another
couple of weeks. Bluefish
are still here, and are the biggest impediment to catching a lot of
stripers, although everybody
seems to be able to deal with them. Any day now we should see an influx of
the ocean blues
(real big ones) for a week or so, and everybody will complain about them,
but that's the price
you have to pay for fishing in an area that is so attractive to big fish.

The seabass and porgie fishing should continue for another month at least,
with the best of it
continuing to be over by Block Island, and a couple of boats will start
playing around with the
blackfish, most likely starting over by Fishers Island and then moving to
Southwest Ledge later
next month.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at
. And for more information about fishing in
Montauk, you
can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http://www.montauksportfishing.com.

--
Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing - Tropical Fishing Adventures