PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation Please! - Combo Sal****er/Freshwater Rod/Reel?

Jim Stallings
October 22nd, 2003, 04:25 AM
Hi all --

I know this topic has probably been answered many times before, but
I'm trying you now since I'm new to this group.

I'm looking to buy a decent rod/reel combo for my 15 year old son that
can handle salmon fishing here in the Pacific NW as well as
fresh-water lake fishing. What set up would you recommend, along with
what type of line?

Thanks VERY much -- this is on his Christmas list!

Jim

Jim Pook
October 23rd, 2003, 10:09 AM
Hi:

As a Canadian fisherman, I would recommend the Shimano GTI2000.

It is a single action "mooching" reel, with one way drag, direct drive. If
your son learns to fish with this reel, he will be able to fish with
anything.

I've been using these on my charter boat for many years. I love them. You
get to play the fish, and not have the reel do all the work for you.

The only downside is that some Americans do not like this style of reel as
they have never properly learned how to play a fish and let them run when
they want.

Jim Pook
Jim's Fishing Charters
www.jimsfishing.com

"Jim Stallings" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all --
>
> I know this topic has probably been answered many times before, but
> I'm trying you now since I'm new to this group.
>
> I'm looking to buy a decent rod/reel combo for my 15 year old son that
> can handle salmon fishing here in the Pacific NW as well as
> fresh-water lake fishing. What set up would you recommend, along with
> what type of line?
>
> Thanks VERY much -- this is on his Christmas list!
>
> Jim

Basspro*
October 23rd, 2003, 02:56 PM
Its about time he learns how to throw a baitcaster. Best reel for
sal****er and freshwater as long as he's not using lightweight lures.
It is frustrating at first to learn because you'll waste spool after
spool of line, but in the end it cast accurately, is more versatile
than spinning reels, and has more backbone for hauling in large fish.
Sound good? If so, I'd personally recommend a Abu Garcia 4600C series
with most any rod with Medium Heavy play to it. The Abu Garcia is
extremely smooth, trouble free, and costs less than Shimano. For
sal****er use, I especially trust Abu Garcia over the other brands.

(Jim Stallings) wrote in message >...
> Hi all --
>
> I know this topic has probably been answered many times before, but
> I'm trying you now since I'm new to this group.
>
> I'm looking to buy a decent rod/reel combo for my 15 year old son that
> can handle salmon fishing here in the Pacific NW as well as
> fresh-water lake fishing. What set up would you recommend, along with
> what type of line?
>
> Thanks VERY much -- this is on his Christmas list!
>
> Jim

Spyda Man
October 29th, 2003, 10:50 AM
I recommend a spinning reel for a teenager, easier learnig curve. 7 or
8 feet Medium action Shakespeare Ugly Stick, with a Penn 6500 loaded
with Ande Pink mono 12 to 15 lb. test. I salmon outfit is tad overkill
for most freshwater but should work in a pinch.

Spy in Hawaii