PDA

View Full Version : Striped Bass Meetings ... all over East Coast

Outdoors Magazine
November 7th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Club Representatives,

JCAA Striped Bass Committee is meeting Monday November 10 at 7:00PM
to write up the JCAA position on opening the EEZ for the November 18
hearing. We are meeting in the JCAA office. One representative from each
club is invited. If others would like to attend please call to make sure we
have room otherwise since space is limited. Please let me know who is
coming. Please pass this on to the clubs up north. I hope to see someone
from Spring Lake on Monday. I will also announce this at our dinner Sunday
night. I hope to see at least one club rep.

The NMFS Scoping Document is located at this web page
<http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/state_federal/Scoping.htm>

Please read or look it over before you come on Monday. We need to be ready
to say something on the November 18 and hand it a preliminary position on
this day. JCAA and your finale written comments need to sent Dec. 22, 2003.
Here is the release but you need to look over the scoping document to get
the information.

NOAA03-R148
CONTACT: Susan Buchanan FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(301) 713-2370 Oct. 29, 2003
NOAA FISHERIES HOLDS PUBLIC MEETINGS ON
ATLANTIC STRIPED BASS MANAGEMENT

The National Marine Fisheries Service (NOAA Fisheries) is considering a
recommendation from the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission to
reopen federal waters (from three to 200miles offshore) for recreational and
commercial striped bass fishing. Federal managers of Atlantic striped bass
are holding public meetings from Nov. 5 to Dec. 10 in New England and
Mid-Atlantic states so the public can help identify the scope of issues
surrounding striped bass fisheries as the agency begins to prepare an
environmental impact analysis of potential revisions to the regulations.

NOAA Fisheries is an agency of the Commerce Department's National Oceanic
and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
"I encourage the public to participate in these meetings," said William
Hogarth, director of NOAA Fisheries. "We are asking for specific
recommendations and information, so please come and advise us of issues we
should be aware of for our analyses as we consider potential revision to the
management of this important fishery."

NOAA Fisheries closed the striped bass fishery in federal waters in 1990 to
rebuild the stock, which was restored in 1995. In the letter forwarding its
recommendation, the Commission notes that allowing fishermen to land striped
bass that are caught in federal waters as bycatch would reduce wasteful
discards. The Commission also points out that commercial fishing is capped
by an annual quota and the fishery would close as soon as the quota is
reached, regardless of whether the fish were caught in state or federal
waters. In addition, monitoring requirements of the fishery management plan
would allow quick response if fishing restrictions are warranted in the
future. Anyone affected by or interested in Atlantic striped bass
management in federal waters
is invited to participate in the scoping meetings.
- more -
- 2 -
NOAA Fisheries' notice of intent to develop an EIS for Atlantic Striped Bass
and the scopingdocument are available online at
<ww.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/state_federal/state_federal.htm>. Writtencomments
must be received no later than Dec. 22, 2003. Send comments to:
Anne Lange, Chief,
State-Federal Fisheries Division, Office of Sustainable Fisheries, NOAA
Fisheries, 1315 East West
Highway, Room 13317, Silver Spring, MD 20910; or by fax to (301) 713-0596.

Listed below is the schedule and locations for the public meetings:
* Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2003 - Portsmouth, NH, 7-8:30 p.m.
Urban Forestry Center
45 Elwin Road
Portsmouth, NH 03801
* Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2003 - Manteo, NC, 7-9 p.m.
North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island
374 Airport Road
Manteo, NC 27954
* Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2003 -Toms River, NJ, 6-9 p.m.
Quality Inn
815 Route 37
Toms River, NJ 08755
* Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2003 - Dover, DE, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control
Richardson & Robbins Bldg.
89 Kings Highway
Dover, DE
* Monday, Dec. 1, 2003 - Stony Brook, NY, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
State University of New York at Stony Brook (SUNY)
Student Activities Center
Nicolls Road
Stony Brook, NY 11794
* Tuesday, Dec. 2, 2003 - Old Lyme, CT, 7-9 p.m.
Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, Marine Headquarters
Boating Education Building
333 Ferry Road
Old Lyme, CT 06371
* Monday, Dec. 8, 2003 - Portland, ME, 7-9 p.m.
Holiday Inn By The Bay
88 Spring Street
Portland, ME 04101
- more -
- 3 -
* Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2003- Bourne, MA, 7-10 p.m.
Canal Club
100 Trowbridge Road
Bourne, MA 02532
* Wednesday, Dec. 10, 2003 - Narragansett, RI, 7-9 p.m.
University of Rhode Island, Bay Campus
Corless Auditorium
South Ferry Road
Narragansett, RI

NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service (NOAA Fisheries) is dedicated to
protecting and
preserving our nation's living marine resources and their habitat through
scientific research,
management and enforcement. NOAA Fisheries provides effective stewardship of
these resources
for the benefit of the nation, supporting coastal communities that depend
upon them, and helping to
provide safe and healthy seafood to consumers and recreational opportunities
for the American
public.

The Commerce Department's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
(NOAA) is
dedicated to enhancing economic security and national safety through the
prediction and research of
weather and climate-related events and providing environmental stewardship
of our nation's coastal
and marine resources.
- 30 -
On the Internet:
NOAA - http://www.noaa.gov
NOAA Fisheries - http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov

Tom Fote
Release for Tomorrow
<@((((((>< <@((((((>< <@((((((><
Legislative Chairman
Jersey Coast Anglers Association
New Jersey State Federation of Sportsman's Clubs
22 Cruiser Court
Toms River NJ 08753

Phone 732-270-9102
Fax 732-506-6409