PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Coast

Tim Sigmon
November 16th, 2003, 01:48 PM
We just got back from a weekend along the SC coast, North Myrtle Beach,
(Cherry Grove to be exact) and I'm about to get the sal****er fishing bug
again. When I was a kid my father and I fished some in the Morehead City/
Atlantic beach area but that has been 30 years ago and I have forgotten or
lost what little knowledge of the sport I had. I've got two sons ( 7 &3) who
I'd like to share some salt water fishing eperiences with. I can be to any
where on the SC coast in about 4 hours give or take a little and am
thinking pier , surf fishing or tidal waters from the bank. I'm open
to suggestions about when where and how. We (I) are most interested in
panfish types (spots flounder, trout, ect) Thanks for any help

Tim Sigmon
Union, SC

joe
November 16th, 2003, 03:19 PM
In article
"Tim Sigmon" > wrote:

> We just got back from a weekend along the SC coast, North Myrtle Beach,
> (Cherry Grove to be exact) and I'm about to get the sal****er fishing bug
> again. When I was a kid my father and I fished some in the Morehead City/
> Atlantic beach area but that has been 30 years ago and I have forgotten or
> lost what little knowledge of the sport I had. I've got two sons ( 7 &3) who
> I'd like to share some salt water fishing eperiences with. I can be to any
> where on the SC coast in about 4 hours give or take a little and am
> thinking pier , surf fishing or tidal waters from the bank. I'm open
> to suggestions about when where and how. We (I) are most interested in
> panfish types (spots flounder, trout, ect) Thanks for any help
>

> Tim Sigmon
> Union, SC

I had the same thing happen to me about 4 years ago and it ruined me. I
can drive 45 minutes and be on trophy or wild trout streams carrying
only a fly rod and ultralight spin outfit. No worries about sal****er
equipment damage, stingrays while wading or tides. I have a 23 inch
mount from one of the streams.

But, I was lured down to the FL keys for some tarpon and bone fishing.
The first trip did the trick but another 3 or 4 trips sealed my fate. My
buddy and his flats skiff moved away (NC in fact). I had my sal****er
fly equipment and needed to find a way to fish. I hit some web forums
and posted for a fishing buddy or wade fishing spots. I somehow got
directed to paddle fishing (kayak/canoe) and that was the next
addiciton. I now load my kayak on the roof and drive 7 hours to get back
to 'home' in Tampa Bay and fish the flats. Usually once a month but
sometimes twice a month. I never would have thought that I could fish
out of a kayak or canoe in sal****er. Had I known when I was a kid
growing up down there things would have been different.

I have some accounts of getting back into sal****er angling on my site
and a section in my forums for you area but I have not got much info on
SC. I have some contacts in the area and you can reach them on my forums
for some possible tips (don't expect too much as far as exact locations
though <g>). The fact is that the tides from N. FL on up are huge and
very different angling opportunities than what I find in central and
south Florida. as far as tidal fishing goes, there are good options for
trout and flounder in 'creek' mouths, around oyster beds (identified at
low tide) and areas where flow washes bait into an ambush position. Red
and black drum can be taken in the same areas but you may also find reds
tailing in the grass when the tides are high enough to flood them
allowing feeding in the crabs that cling to the stalks. None of this is
first hand in SC but from reading and my experience fishing N. FL and GA.

There is a kayak outfitter near Charleston as I planned a trip there and
looked up info; never made the trip. I am about 4 - 6 hours from there
here in N. GA. Sorry you are getting hooked on sal****er fishing <g>.

Good Fishin'

atljoe
--