PDA

View Full Version : Where to inshore fish in Cudjoe Key during the holidays

abe froman
November 23rd, 2003, 02:08 AM
Hi there,

My wife and I are renting a house in Cudjoe Key for the holidays and
we are bringing our 15ft flats boat with us. I was wondering if
anyone could offer some tips, on where to fish, what tackle to bring,
and what we can expect to catch while were there.

Thanks,
Abe...

joe
November 23rd, 2003, 05:01 PM
In article >,
(abe froman) wrote:

> My wife and I are renting a house in Cudjoe Key for the holidays and
> we are bringing our 15ft flats boat with us. I was wondering if
> anyone could offer some tips, on where to fish, what tackle to bring,
> and what we can expect to catch while were there.

Hello Abe,

Wish I was joining you <g>. I have not fished that particular area but
the Cudjoe/Big Pine areas offer many flats and quite a bit or protection
from winds. I think the temps are still unseasonably warm but water temp
as well will determine what luck you may have locating fish.

I would think that any flat you find with tidal flow and an water temps
in the 70s will potentially hold fish. One option for narrowing down the
locations would be one of the 'Top Spot' maps. Hard to say if the spots
noted are 'hot' but you will have a good idea of bottom contours. I
would also suggest stopping by Bonefish Bob's in Islamorada (he may
close down this time of year but worth a check) and as well a little
further west you will find the World Wide Sportsman (A Bass Pro store)
which may provide some info and is just a great museum for Zane Grey
fishing as well.

For tackle, if you are a fly angler a 9 wt (maybe an 8) will be adequate
for most game other than large tarpon (not sure how likely you will be
to run into the large fish though). Wind is a factor with a fly rod as I
do not recall ever being in the keys on the ocean side without a stiff
breeze. Alternatively you can use light spinning gear. I 7' rod is
suggested but you may be able to use 6 or 6 and a half foot rods. I
think you will be find with outfits that are in the 8# to 10# class for
all but larger tarpon. A reel should hold about 200 yards or more of
line and a good quality drag (I would use my Shimano Stradic 2000/3000
or Penn Slammer 260/360 or equivalent).

I am not much on bait and use artificials unless rare occasion but
shrimp tipped jigs are a good bet. You may also chum when you tie up to
a good area to increase your chances.

Other than the flats species you can find snapper and the like in deeper
spots near channels but I have never targeted anything other than
bones/tarpon/permit/barracuda (sharks are also a good fight).

I am sure there are more knowledgeable keys anglers who may give you
some help. However I would not hope for any honey holes.

Hope you have a great trip.

Good Fishin',

atljoe
--