PDA

View Full Version : rod/reel question

pcadd
November 24th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Is there a "rule-of-thumb" when deceiding what size reel should go
with what size rod, other than ultra-light and real heavy set up's?

Sphynx
November 25th, 2003, 02:12 AM
pcadd wrote:
> Is there a "rule-of-thumb" when deceiding what size reel should go
> with what size rod, other than ultra-light and real heavy set up's?

I do remember one rule but I doubt that it's universal. On smaller
outfits you can balance the outfit on your index finger, placing it
on the foregrip just ahead of the reel. If the rod falls back so that
the handle drops down, the reel is too heavy. If the rod falls forward,
that is, the tip drops down, then the reel is too light for the rod.

This is not a hard and fast rule but, for small outfits it worked for me
as a guiding principle when I was a kid. The best way would be to try
different combos and see which feels and performs the best.

--
Sphynx

joe
November 25th, 2003, 03:55 AM
In article >,
"Sphynx" > wrote:

> This is not a hard and fast rule but, for small outfits it worked for me
> as a guiding principle when I was a kid. The best way would be to try
> different combos and see which feels and performs the best.

I would agree with Sphynx on this point. If it feels right in the hand
for you should work fine.

Also depends on the kind of fishing you will be doing. You will not get
the same balance from a large bait reel as you do with a smaller
baitcaster or spinning outfit. Of course you are not making cast after
cast with the bait reel so it is not an issue.

Maybe as important is how the outfit is 'balanced' is the rod and the
purpose if is best for (soft presentation, good touch/feel, distance,
power/backbone, accuracy). Once you decide what rod, the reel should be
of the best quality you can put on it with a good drag, smooth action
and durability. The size would be the last thing to consider and there
are probably always a couple of any model reel that could fit on a given
rod (for example Shimano 2000/3000 - discontinued, Penn Slammer 260/360).

Good Fishin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

pcadd
November 25th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the response. I have heard the idea that Sphynx talks
about. The reason I was asking, also was that I have heard fishermen
talking about standard, intermediate, and heavy reels but no one can
say what type of rod goes with it (7',8, medium, heavy, etc.). I guess
what you and Sphynx are saying is that if it feels right it probably
is right. Thanks again