PDA

View Full Version : Montauk Sportfishing Report 11/20/03

Capt Gene Kelly
November 24th, 2003, 05:27 PM
November 24, 2003

Ahem, la-la-la, do-re-mi-fa-so, la-la-la. That boys and girls is the sound
of the fat lady warming
up. You couldn't ask for better weather than we had this past weekend, but
the end is in sight.

It seems like the porgies and seabass have already boogied out of here, a
little sooner than you
would expect them to. There just aren't any around anywhere, even in the
deep waters south of
Block Island, which is the usual last stopover for them. The blackfish are
holding up ok though,
and hopefully they'll be around for another couple of weeks at least.

The bluefish are finally starting to thin out. A week or so ago if you saw
any birds working, you
assumed that there were bluefish under them. Now a better assumption is
stripers. The gannets
are here, but you don't find birds working all over the place. Occasionally
in by Jones's or out in
the deeper water by Alaska Rips, and around the corner on the south side.
There are some
herring here, but they are better suited as fluke bait than for stripers, so
nobody is paying much
attention to them.

As far as size is concerned, it's pretty clear to me that the big bass are
gone. For the past couple
of years November has been a bust for big fish, even though there are lots
of ten to twenty
pounders around. The last of the big fish were taken the last week of
October. If the weather
stays decent, we should have good bass fishing right up until the end of the
season, which is
December 15, but of course I would have said the same thing about the
porgies and seabass a
couple of weeks back.

If you're a light tackle nut, pick a nice day and run down along the beach
on the south side and
look for the four b's - birds, bluefish, bass and bluefins - but if you run
into that last one, make
sure you use the twelve weight at least.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at
. And for more information about fishing in
Montauk, you
can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http://www.montauksportfishing.com.
--
Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing - Tropical Fishing Adventures