PDA

View Full Version : Best monofiloment line on the market. Which is your favorite?

Basspro*
December 5th, 2003, 06:43 PM
I'm trying to get an idea of the majority of this group's favorite
fishing monofiloment for sal****er use. Please don't list your
favorite braided lines as I'm just interested in mono. I'll start it
off by saying that my top three favorites are:
1. Cajun Red Lightning
2. Berkley Inshore (which I'm unsure if they make anymore)
3. Andes' Backcountry

Sam Salmon
December 5th, 2003, 09:45 PM
The best line I've ever used was Maxima-either UltraGreen or
Chameleon.
After that it's a tie between Jin Kai and Ande-although Ande is made
in the same factory in Germany that makes Maxima.

On 5 Dec 2003 09:43:17 -0800, (Basspro*) wrote:

>I'm trying to get an idea of the majority of this group's favorite
>fishing monofiloment for sal****er use. Please don't list your
>favorite braided lines as I'm just interested in mono. I'll start it
>off by saying that my top three favorites are:
>1. Cajun Red Lightning
>2. Berkley Inshore (which I'm unsure if they make anymore)
>3. Andes' Backcountry

joe
December 6th, 2003, 03:31 AM
In article >,
(Basspro*) wrote:

> I'm trying to get an idea of the majority of this group's favorite
> fishing monofiloment for sal****er use. Please don't list your
> favorite braided lines as I'm just interested in mono. I'll start it
> off by saying that my top three favorites are:
> 1. Cajun Red Lightning
> 2. Berkley Inshore (which I'm unsure if they make anymore)
> 3. Andes' Backcountry

P-Line
I started out using P-Line copolymer; worked well and I still have it
spooled on several outfits. Supposed to combine the benefits of
fluorocarbon and the castability of a mono

IronSilk
I saw the adds and it sounded like what I wanted; I guess it is a mono.
I spooled up several outfits with 6 and 8 pound. It is as smooth as the
name suggest. I scarcely makes a sound coming off the spinning reel and
through the eyes. I have caught some decent fish on the line. Hard to
tell about the abrasion resistance as I am always using a fluoro shock
leader. The only glitch I have had is parting the line casting a 3/4 oz.
spoon. Could have been something hung up on the cast. It was the 6 pound
test which is a light line anyway.

The only two monos I use.
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

Spyda Man
December 6th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Pink Ande

Spy in Hawaii

LD
December 7th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Pink Ande (cuz that's what the man at the store said the "pros" use mostly).
I troll for whatever bites w/mostly 40#, near Pensacola.
LD

"Basspro*" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm trying to get an idea of the majority of this group's favorite
> fishing monofiloment for sal****er use. Please don't list your
> favorite braided lines as I'm just interested in mono. I'll start it
> off by saying that my top three favorites are:
> 1. Cajun Red Lightning
> 2. Berkley Inshore (which I'm unsure if they make anymore)
> 3. Andes' Backcountry

Basspro*
December 8th, 2003, 03:44 PM
I've heard that the pink Ande's is good stuff. Does the pink
dissappear under water better than other colors? What about using this
for speckled trout and redfish and flounder? Is abrasion resistance
pretty good with this line?

"LD" > wrote in message et>...
> Pink Ande (cuz that's what the man at the store said the "pros" use mostly).
> I troll for whatever bites w/mostly 40#, near Pensacola.
> LD
>
> "Basspro*" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I'm trying to get an idea of the majority of this group's favorite
> > fishing monofiloment for sal****er use. Please don't list your
> > favorite braided lines as I'm just interested in mono. I'll start it
> > off by saying that my top three favorites are:
> > 1. Cajun Red Lightning
> > 2. Berkley Inshore (which I'm unsure if they make anymore)
> > 3. Andes' Backcountry

CKLINERT
December 9th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Has anyone used Berkley "Vanish" flourocarbon line lately? I had good
success with it a few years ago, but the new sutff this year seems unworkable.

Even with the "Trilene Knot" the twenty pound Vanish breaks easily in my
fingers. Did I get a bad batch?

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

RTolb43552
December 9th, 2003, 12:46 AM
I use pink ande most of the time.

joe
December 9th, 2003, 04:56 AM
In article >,
(CKLINERT) wrote:

> Has anyone used Berkley "Vanish" flourocarbon line lately? I had good
> success with it a few years ago, but the new sutff this year seems
> unworkable.
>

> Even with the "Trilene Knot" the twenty pound Vanish breaks easily in my
> fingers. Did I get a bad batch?

I have never used it as spool line but did try some of the 20# as shock
leader. It was not reliable. I am not sure if they make it softer for
use on the spool or if it just is not a strong line.

They do actually make a Vanish that is for leader so there may be a
difference. I have not felt comfortable trying the leader material
though.

I stand by my previous choices (P-Line and IronSilk)

I have a short review of the IronSilk on my site:

http://flatsfisher.com/z2_reviews.html

good fishin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Visit my site at http://flatsfisher.com

Basspro*
December 9th, 2003, 04:09 PM
I use 17lb Vanish as my shock leader when fishing for speckled trout
and redfish. I have no complaints whatsoever. Its strong, limp, and
fairly good with abrasion resistance. I think you may have gotten a
bad batch unless the 20lb actually performs a lot different than the
17lb.

(CKLINERT) wrote in message >...
> Has anyone used Berkley "Vanish" flourocarbon line lately? I had good
> success with it a few years ago, but the new sutff this year seems unworkable.
>

> Even with the "Trilene Knot" the twenty pound Vanish breaks easily in my
> fingers. Did I get a bad batch?
>
> Regards,
> Cliff
>

> Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Mr. Gone
December 10th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Definatly Momoi Diamond
Clear or Blue

LD
December 18th, 2003, 02:11 PM
I guess it doesn't "shine" like any clear line. I think any slightly dark
tint would be less visible (at least it is to me). Last time out, we hooked
two 32-33" redfish right at the pass. A real shame to have to throw them
back! I really don't know anything about fishing, just trial & error,
mostly error.
LD

"Basspro*" > wrote in message
om...
> I've heard that the pink Ande's is good stuff. Does the pink
> dissappear under water better than other colors? What about using this
> for speckled trout and redfish and flounder? Is abrasion resistance
> pretty good with this line?

et>...