PDA

View Full Version : Using my boat in winter

Capps
December 17th, 2003, 01:06 PM
We have a boat with a 4 Stroke engine and we want to use it this winter on
nice days. I have been told that the engine needs to be flushed with
antifreeze and I have been told that all the water drains and it will not
freeze. What should I believe?

Thanks

S. Capps

Rodney
December 17th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Capps wrote:

> We have a boat with a 4 Stroke engine and we want to use it this winter on
> nice days. I have been told that the engine needs to be flushed with
> antifreeze and I have been told that all the water drains and it will not
> freeze. What should I believe?
>
> Thanks
>
> S. Capps

If it is an outboard,, you need to pull it out of the water, then lower
the motor to allow all the water to drain out, then raise it back up.
This will drain all the water from the foot, and engine. Everyone needs
to do this before winter with their outboards. I know my Merc holds
quite a bit of water when it's tilted up

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,

licker
December 17th, 2003, 07:16 PM
I don't own a four stroke but a 1983 Envinrude. I fish all year long
including in the winter. Although the lakes and bayous don't ice over we do
occasionally have temperatures that will get down in the low 30's for
several hours. It is enough to freeze over water in a bucket or hose. We I
return from fishing, I always flush my motor with fresh water then lower it
for about a half hour or so before raising it back to the tilted position.
I never had water freeze in a motor.

Sarge