PDA

View Full Version : Snook Rod

J*Mills
December 29th, 2003, 03:48 AM
I want to build a rod to use with Penn 6500 SS spinning reel with PowerPro
line and live-bait terminal tackle. Will be fishing the backcountry of the
FL 'glades mostly, but some open water around the 10,000 Island area.

With the multitude of different blanks and guides on the market right now I
am having problem with blank and guide selection.

Any advice appreciated.

joe
December 30th, 2003, 03:14 AM
In article <0uNHb.103$6Q.58@fe01>, "J*Mills" >
wrote:

> I want to build a rod to use with Penn 6500 SS spinning reel with PowerPro
> line and live-bait terminal tackle. Will be fishing the backcountry of the
> FL 'glades mostly, but some open water around the 10,000 Island area.
>
> With the multitude of different blanks and guides on the market right now I
> am having problem with blank and guide selection.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

I suggest you either get a copy of Capt. Fred Everson's book on snook
fishing or maybe shoot him an email. give a call. He is based out of
Shell Point Marina the last I know of as he bought the biat shop at the
Marina there.

He has information on rod building for various types of snook
environments. One of my buddies in the Tampa Bay area built a few rods
and based a snook rod on the information from Everson's book. You may
want to check out either Fla Sportsman forums or better
paddle-fishing.com forums and try to get in touch with 'Bayport Bob';
have not talked with him in a few months though.

Good luck,

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb