PDA

View Full Version : Alvey Info????

Mike H.
February 7th, 2004, 10:35 PM
I would like to swap some emails with somebody from AU or NZ that has
experiance surfcasting with Alvey reels and rods....

Mike
Auburn, WA
USA

Mike H.
February 9th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Don't think they hold quite that much line. Was warned ya need a good
swivel....

"Tom Green" > wrote in message
s.com...
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 22:35:01 GMT, "Mike H."
> > wrote:
>
> >I would like to swap some emails with somebody from AU or NZ that has
> >experiance surfcasting with Alvey reels and rods....
>
> They hold a lot of line and consequently are an excellent choice for
> jig fishing in the Marianas Trench (depth is about 10,924 m, or almost
> 11 km (7 miles)), but the line twist is horrific.
>
> >Mike
> >Auburn, WA
> >USA

Calif Bill
February 9th, 2004, 10:14 PM
You might contact Hi's Tacklebox in San Francisco. There were a bunch of
guys who used Alveys years ago when I used to fish the beaches during
College. I think Hi's even sold them.
Bill

"Mike H." > wrote in message
> Don't think they hold quite that much line. Was warned ya need a good
> swivel....
>

> "Tom Green" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> > On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 22:35:01 GMT, "Mike H."
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >I would like to swap some emails with somebody from AU or NZ that has
> > >experiance surfcasting with Alvey reels and rods....
> >
> > They hold a lot of line and consequently are an excellent choice for
> > jig fishing in the Marianas Trench (depth is about 10,924 m, or almost
> > 11 km (7 miles)), but the line twist is horrific.
> >
> > >Mike
> > >Auburn, WA
> > >USA

Spyda Man
February 10th, 2004, 09:48 AM
I'm not in Au, or NZ but I have several Alveys I use for surf fishing.
What's the question?

Spy in Hawaii

Mike H.
February 13th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Describe your equipment and technique for surf fishing. What weight line and
type as well as what kind of bait or lures as well as what kind of fish you
are fishing for.

Thanks, Mike....

"Spyda Man" > wrote in message
> I'm not in Au, or NZ but I have several Alveys I use for surf fishing.
> What's the question?
>
> Spy in Hawaii

February 19th, 2004, 09:27 AM
better have big hands if you buy one of the larger ones. I had a
"beachmaster" C5 I think was the model #. Got rid of it cause it was such a
bitch to cast. It is 1to 1 retrieve ratio taking up 19 in. of line per
revolution. The whole experience was just unsatisfactory. Looked good and
impressive though! >g<

Spyda Man
February 23rd, 2004, 10:45 AM
Hi Mike,
I use my Alveys strictly for bait fishing from shore either the beach,
rocky shoreline, or from a pier. I have 3 model 500Cs, and one 650C. I
have my 500Cs loaded with 30 lb. test copolymer mono line, though
regular monofilament works fine. My 650C I believe is loaded with about
300 yards of 60 lb. test. The 650C is huge, so I usually use the 500Cs.
I have these mounted in 11, and 12 feet Shakespeare Ugly-Stick spinning
rods which works well for me. Always use a good quality ball bearing
swivel above the terminal tackle. I believe I usually use 6 oz. banks
sinkers below 2 tag lines with hooks. They take a little getting use
to, and you either love um or you don't. I love them for this type of
fishing. They are fool proof (no backlash) and you can cast a country
mile with them. I don't recommend them for lure fishing, the line tends
to get twisted up with repeated casts. I got mine directly from OZ at
www.ausfish.com a great business. Been fishing with Alveys for almost
20 years now. If you have any more question, just ask away. Have a
great day.

P.S. I almost forgot I also have several old model 40As with chrome
brass wire casting guides I use for meduim tackle harbor, and boat
fishing use. I fish them more as a novelty than anything else. They're
fun, and I get alot of qustions from passers-bys. They are semi
antiques, and I found them on Ebay.

Spy in Hawaii

Spyda Man
February 23rd, 2004, 10:52 AM
I forgot to mention baits: I use Sand Fleas caught right on the beach,
Cut calamari bought frozen at supermarket, and strips of fresh tuna
belly (skin on) when available. I also use live bait like sardines, or
goatfish when they are running. I catch various Trevallys, and Jacks,
as well as Threadfin, Barracuda, and Bonefish. On rare occassions I
may catch the LARGE Trevallys known locally as ULUA. I hope that was
what you were asking for. Have a great day.

Spy in Hawaii

Spyda Man
February 23rd, 2004, 10:56 AM
P.S. I have used lead weights as heavy as 12 oz. when conditions are
windy, or surf high. Also in Rocky areas the lead weights used have
soft wire hooks cast into them to hold onto the rocks like a grapnel
hook. They are soft enough to straighten out if pulled hard enough to
break free.

Spy in Hawaii

Spyda Man
February 24th, 2004, 07:23 AM
If ya mean a sirloin steak, NO 8-)

Spy in Hawaii

bidkev
March 18th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Newbie here.

Mike H. wrote:
> Describe your equipment and technique for surf fishing. What weight
> line and type as well as what kind of bait or lures as well as what
> kind of fish you are fishing for.
>
> Thanks, Mike....

As Spyda said Mike, Surf and general shore/boat bait fishing. They used
to be popular in S.Africa many years ago and caught on briefly in the UK
(in my area) in the 50's/early 60's.

They are, as you probably know, the biggest selling reel in Queensland.
This is due to their low maintenance and ease of use for the "weekend
family fishers" Kids master them easily and they aren't prone to
"influx" of sand and grit and many charter boats are equiped with them
(foolproof), which is probably why my best mate uses them solely
:-)..........actually, he's one of those "hold the line for the bite"
men who likes to be "in contact" with his dinner.

I wouldn't recommend them for *anything* other than bait
fishing........in fact, I wouldn't recommend them at all, but they have
a great following here.......but then again.....I'm just a whingeing
pomm immigrant ;-)

kev in Sunny Brizzy