PDA

View Full Version : Dave Scadden Pontoon Craft

Bill
February 17th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I am in the final process of deciding on my first pontoon boat and it
looks like the first pontoon I looked at - Dave Scadden - Madison
River (9 foot)- I like the best. Does anyone have any experience with
these pontoons? This does not have internal bladders, frame brakes
down to 3 pieces, weighs only 46lbs without platform. Portability is
very important as I have a small car - must fit in trunk with back
seats down.
Will be using mostly on Upper Delaware ( class I & II).
Have not decided if I should get Standing Platform w/leaning bar - any
thoughts?
(seems it could be more of a nusiance if mostly pulling over and
stopping to fish)

How about Sal****er use? For Stripers? - feeder rivers to ocean or
bays?

Frank Reid
February 17th, 2004, 07:41 PM
> Have not decided if I should get Standing Platform w/leaning bar - any
> thoughts?
> (seems it could be more of a nusiance if mostly pulling over and
> stopping to fish)
>
> How about Sal****er use? For Stripers? - feeder rivers to ocean or
> bays?

Get the standing platform. You will be amazed at the increase in fish
you spot, ease of casting/landing, yadida, yadida.... Also, if
available, an anchor system. Drop the anchor, hop off, and fish.
Just do it.
Frank Reid

just al
February 17th, 2004, 10:20 PM
I owned/used a Bucks Bags 8 footer while living in Montana. It's about that
weight and fishes well on moving and still water. I have sold that since
moving back to NY, but would now buy a pontoon that is NOT recommeded for
moving water if I was close enough to float the Delaware regularly. Why?
The Delaware is baby poo in terms of danger and there are no sharp rocks or
tree snags that will POP the pontoons. I would not get a stand but use
flippers and sit back and relax. We took out Bucks Bags on class 3 rapids
with only flippers regularly. You'll find that careful planning and some
backkicking will help you into some back eddies for easy surfing and
superfishing that the average angler can't experience.

"Bill" > wrote in message
om...
> I am in the final process of deciding on my first pontoon boat and it
> looks like the first pontoon I looked at - Dave Scadden - Madison
> River (9 foot)- I like the best. Does anyone have any experience with
> these pontoons? This does not have internal bladders, frame brakes
> down to 3 pieces, weighs only 46lbs without platform. Portability is
> very important as I have a small car - must fit in trunk with back
> seats down.
> Will be using mostly on Upper Delaware ( class I & II).
> Have not decided if I should get Standing Platform w/leaning bar - any
> thoughts?
> (seems it could be more of a nusiance if mostly pulling over and
> stopping to fish)
>
> How about Sal****er use? For Stripers? - feeder rivers to ocean or
> bays?

just al
February 17th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Anchors are a waste. Just pull it up on shore. If you anchor in moving
water you're asking for trouble in a pontoon. The platform doesn't allow
speed control and forces you to follow the speed of current--inhibiting the
ability to cover many different drifts with your fly before passing over
some prime water. Platforms are only good if someone is rowing for you.

"Frank Reid" > wrote in message
> > Have not decided if I should get Standing Platform w/leaning bar - any
> > thoughts?
> > (seems it could be more of a nusiance if mostly pulling over and
> > stopping to fish)
> >
> > How about Sal****er use? For Stripers? - feeder rivers to ocean or
> > bays?
>
> Get the standing platform. You will be amazed at the increase in fish
> you spot, ease of casting/landing, yadida, yadida.... Also, if
> available, an anchor system. Drop the anchor, hop off, and fish.
> Just do it.
> Frank Reid

Frank Reid
February 18th, 2004, 03:10 AM
> Anchors are a waste. Just pull it up on shore. If you anchor in moving
> water you're asking for trouble in a pontoon.

I specialize in trouble and haven't had any yet. I use it to anchor in
shallow eddies and cast to shore. Quite often, the reason I'm in the
pontoon boat is I can't reach the water from the shore and vice versa. What
"trouble" should one expect?

>The platform doesn't allow
> speed control and forces you to follow the speed of current--inhibiting
the
> ability to cover many different drifts with your fly before passing over
> some prime water.

Actually, in slower water, it allows great control via the fins. In bigger
water, I've use a trolling motor. Have you ever used a pontoon boat?

>Platforms are only good if someone is rowing for you.

No, not true. I would not use a platform in faster water, but some rivers
(i.e. the Great Ouse in the UK) and still water fishing make the platform
very useful.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Frank Reid
February 18th, 2004, 01:54 PM

He also mentioned sal****er use. For that you really want the platform.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

just al
February 18th, 2004, 06:38 PM
I have no experience with sal****er. I do know the bucks bas rep told us to
warn customers not to try and anchor in moving current. On the bucks model
it is possible to capsize it (anchor's in the back). Also if the anchor
gets snagged in moving water you will be asked for trouble as well. The
anchor to hold it on shore makes sense when fishing from land (sandbar,
banks, etc.)

Though none of this has happened to my friends or me personally, I still
followed the reps advice. But then again, I'd be willing to use a
stillwater pontoon on moving water...hmmmm
"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message
> > >Platforms are only good if someone is rowing for you.
> >
> > No, not true. I would not use a platform in faster water, but some
rivers
> > (i.e. the Great Ouse in the UK) and still water fishing make the
platform
> > very useful.
>
> He also mentioned sal****er use. For that you really want the platform.
> --
> Frank Reid
> Reverse email to reply

Ted Bobetsky
February 19th, 2004, 04:22 AM
I would think seriously about launching a pontoon craft in a sal****er
situation that has any potential major current. If you are in a large
sal****er bay that's one thing, but in a tide flowing scenario you could
easily get into trouble. For example, a place I take clients is the mouth of
Barnstable Harbor on Cape Cod, MA. The flats have moderate current on
outgoing tides but the main channel is major and no amount of fin paddling
is going to work. Just be careful, check out the tides wherever you decide
to go and scope it out thoroughly first. No fish is worth drowning for.

Good fishing...Ted

joe
February 19th, 2004, 06:28 AM
In article >,
"Ted Bobetsky" > wrote:

> I would think seriously about launching a pontoon craft in a sal****er
> situation that has any potential major current. If you are in a large
> sal****er bay that's one thing, but in a tide flowing scenario you could
> easily get into trouble. For example, a place I take clients is the mouth of
> Barnstable Harbor on Cape Cod, MA. The flats have moderate current on
> outgoing tides but the main channel is major and no amount of fin paddling
> is going to work. Just be careful, check out the tides wherever you decide
> to go and scope it out thoroughly first. No fish is worth drowning for.
>
> Good fishing...Ted

I have seen a few of these type craft in sal****er (very few) but I
think you would do much better with a kayak or canoe.

For the canoe you can start with something stable (though there are
always compromises) and then add outrigger stabilizers (Spring Creek as
I recall is a vendor). You can certainly get where you are going quicker
and cover more water.

For the kayak you could use the same formula as you can add the
outriggers to them as well. I use a Hobie Outback with a pedal system
and I have yet to see a current that it could not handle (of course I am
not fishing in the NE either). I have come through Longboat Key near
Sarasota Fl at full outgoing tide though.

Another option for a kayak that will allow you to stang is the
Tribalance (I have one of those also). It will not capsize but that does
not mean you can not fall out. It also offers the option of sitting
inside in inclement weather as you get in or out but also on top. An
easy rise to your feet to make a cast.

There was one fellow off one of the central FL beaches fishing for
tarpon from an intertube (good size hammers are seen there also); they
nicknamed him 'bait'

good luck!

Atlanta JOE
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

rb608
February 19th, 2004, 02:26 PM
"Bill" > wrote in message
om...
> I am in the final process of deciding on my first pontoon boat and it
> looks like the first pontoon I looked at - Dave Scadden - Madison
> River (9 foot)- I like the best. Does anyone have any experience with
> these pontoons?

I was eyeing those up at the recent FF show & thought they were soundly
constructed in my limited experience.

> How about Sal****er use? For Stripers? - feeder rivers to ocean or
> bays?

Methinks a 10# striper could tow you a good ways in a direct you don't want
to go. <g>

Joe F.

joe
February 20th, 2004, 03:39 AM
In article >,
(Greg Pavlov) wrote:

> That brings back a few good memories,
> sitting up here in Buffalo winter ...
>
> Do you use the Hobie to fly fish ? One
> thing that struck me about it is that the
> pedal gear could be hard to keep fly line
> off of.
>
> >Another option for a kayak that will allow you
> >to stang is the Tribalance (I have one of those
> >also).
>
> I've read comments that the Tribalance
> shouldn't be used in rougher water that
> is ok in other kayaks. Is this true,
> and if so, is it because the outriggers
> could actually work against you in that
> sort of situation ?

Well I am not much better stuck in N. Georgia. Probably a few degrees
warmer but relatively this has been a wet cold winter. We have not even
ahd any snow to oggle over (and get out of work a day).

As for the Hobie I have to admit I am not the best fly angler but really
the pedal assembly would not be a huge problem. If you were in fact
standing (and I am not sure I could stand and fly cast) there is ample
clear room. If sitting, you would be stripping to your lap and probably
some type of apron (really could use a stripping basket if standing as
well).

The nice thing about fishing down south is that wading is the way to go.
The yak or paddle craft is still a benefit as it gets you places you
could not wade even at extreme low tides (unless you plan on swimming
back in). One of my best fishing buddies who also has a skiff uses it
the same way. Motor out near the flat, drigt and troll in then get out
and wade. He figures, and I agree, even if drifting a yak/canoe you can
not really work the water. Wading you find the holes, feel the subtle
temp changes and can stay in a spot and fish it when you get some action
or interest. Even with my GPS tracking it is hard to get back where I
had a bump.

On the Tribalance, I have had mine in 3 foot swells and shared channels
with 40 footers (and there wake) with never a problem. Actually the
reason I use the Tribalance less is that it does have quite a bit of
rocker and it is tough to keep straight. I could not keep up with the
longer Ocean Kayaks and then the Tarpons. Even though it is a narrow
craft. Still it offers some great options and is as good an all purpose
boat as I could imagine. The real weakness would be taking it some place
that was close in (Like the Glades or narrow canals).

All this talk has me hurting again. This is about as long a string of no
fishing I have had in a couple of years. Hope you warm up or maybe get a
chance to get down and catch some flats fish.

good fishin'

atlanta joe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Visit my site at http://flatsfisher.com

Rodney
February 20th, 2004, 02:32 PM
joe wrote:

> For the kayak you could use the same formula as you can add the
> outriggers to them as well. I use a Hobie Outback with a pedal system
> and I have yet to see a current that it could not handle (of course I am
> not fishing in the NE either). I have come through Longboat Key near
> Sarasota Fl at full outgoing tide though.

I also use the Hobie OutBack,, This has got to be the best, light, take
anywhere boat, out there, yes I know it's the most expensive, but it
comes fully loaded for fishing, I take it out 10 to one over my bass
boat now, not only in skinny water either. It's just FUN to fish from.

I can see a huge problem with it this summer though,, keeping the wife,
kids and grand kids out of it, so I can use it fishing. This little
problem will help many men get permission to buy it though .

"Look Honey , you, and the kids, will use it more than me" :-)

I'm in the process of doing a complete web page, product review, on the
boat, I should have it finished this weekend, and get it up on my web
site. I just wish it had a reverse, besides the paddle that is

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Stand Out Hooks ,

Bob Lamson
February 21st, 2004, 04:22 AM
"Bill" > wrote in message
om...
> I am in the final process of deciding on my first pontoon boat and it
> looks like the first pontoon I looked at - Dave Scadden - Madison
> River (9 foot)- I like the best. Does anyone have any experience with
> these pontoons? This does not have internal bladders, frame brakes
> down to 3 pieces, weighs only 46lbs without platform. Portability is
> very important as I have a small car - must fit in trunk with back
> seats down.
> Will be using mostly on Upper Delaware ( class I & II).
> Have not decided if I should get Standing Platform w/leaning bar - any
> thoughts?
> (seems it could be more of a nusiance if mostly pulling over and
> stopping to fish)
>
> How about Sal****er use? For Stripers? - feeder rivers to ocean or
> bays?

Bob Lamson
February 21st, 2004, 04:26 AM
If I can throw one more opinion into the fray,,,,,,I have fished the
Delaware, I also fish sal****er ponds, breachways and the West Branch
Penobscot (class 3 whitewater). I've seen a number of pontoon boats get
into trouble in all of these places.
Also in any moving water, you're limited to fish, for the most part, down
stream.
If you ask me a rowing canoe is the answer for you. Portable, stable,
maneuverable. With the right one in many situations you may stand and fish.
I also have rigged anchor systems at both ends, so I may anchor facing up or
down stream and to stabilize my anchorage in cross currents. I use an Old
Town Osprey 15.5' and couldn't be happier.

"Bob Lamson" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Bill" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I am in the final process of deciding on my first pontoon boat and it
> > looks like the first pontoon I looked at - Dave Scadden - Madison
> > River (9 foot)- I like the best. Does anyone have any experience with
> > these pontoons? This does not have internal bladders, frame brakes
> > down to 3 pieces, weighs only 46lbs without platform. Portability is
> > very important as I have a small car - must fit in trunk with back
> > seats down.
> > Will be using mostly on Upper Delaware ( class I & II).
> > Have not decided if I should get Standing Platform w/leaning bar - any
> > thoughts?
> > (seems it could be more of a nusiance if mostly pulling over and
> > stopping to fish)
> >
> > How about Sal****er use? For Stripers? - feeder rivers to ocean or
> > bays?

Willi
February 21st, 2004, 04:41 PM
Greg Pavlov wrote:

>>The nice thing about fishing down south is that wading is the
>>way to go. ...
>

> I much prefer fishing on foor to fishing from a boat. But there
> are places around here, especially in mid-summer to early fall,
> that would be fun to fish from a kayak that are out of reach
> (sometimes *just* out of reach) of shore.

I much prefer wading to fishing from a boat, but on large rivers
especially those with limited access, a boat is a good tool to get you
to places where you can wade that you can't get to just by wading.

Willi

Rodney
February 21st, 2004, 05:14 PM
Greg Pavlov wrote:

> There's a large kayak shop not too far away that sells Hobies.
> They tried to talk me into one last fall but when I saw that
> gear sticking up in the middle of the cockpit, I was turned
> off. I guess that I should take a second look: the store has
> a pond where you can try out their kayaks.

If you can fish sitting down the Hobble is the way to go, that drive is
so much better than a paddle or ores, and you can cover a lot of water
faster than any other human powered boat
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Stand Out Hooks ,
Stand Out Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Mojo's Long
Shot rig
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

joe
February 21st, 2004, 07:42 PM
In article >,
(Greg Pavlov) wrote:

> There's a large kayak shop not too far away that sells Hobies.
> They tried to talk me into one last fall but when I saw that
> gear sticking up in the middle of the cockpit, I was turned
> off. I guess that I should take a second look: the store has
> a pond where you can try out their kayaks.

It would be worth a look. I bought mine from the picture on the Hobie
site. I did try out the pedal system at a shop down in Tampa, the
original mirage and that pretty much sold me. But really, seeing all the
fishing related features on the outback was the clincher. The trays
along the sides were almost enough. The rod holders are nice but I find
that you can not use the front holders to store rods if you are fishing.
They are not really suitable for a fly rod.

My other concern was getting in to very shallow water as I regularly am
in water 6 inches deep and at times it can be less than that to get to
where you want to fish. The flippers do not need to be operated by a
full stroke to keep you moving. I can flutter them about a couple of
inches and still make about 1.5 mph. If you need, you can pull the
pedals out in about 10 seconds with the twist of two knobs. Of course if
you do not want to get out you need to do this before the water is too
shallow to get the pedals in a center position.

I have had mine for a couple of years (I forget when but I got it before
the first Christmas the year the came out whenever that was).

I get a little exccited about the Hobie, sorry. Not so say that there
are not other great paddle yaks. At times I have thought having another
paddle only boat might be nice. There is a new boat that I think is
close on amenities and maybe a few extra. I can not recall the name now.
But it should be available via a Google search. Not sure if it is called
the 'Angler' or 'Fishermen' or something similar. Still, for all around
and particularly if I have a distance to go, wind out or back, rough
water, the Hobie is what I want to be in. I use my leg muscles which
have more endurance than my arms and can go an avg. 3.5 mph all day
long. In a pinch I can sprint for a few hundred yards at 6 - 7 mph.
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Visit my site at http://flatsfisher.com

Hooked
February 22nd, 2004, 02:50 AM
"Rodney" > wrote in message

> If you can fish sitting down the Hobble is the way to go, that drive is
> so much better than a paddle or ores, and you can cover a lot of water
> faster than any other human powered boat
> --

But can you put a trolling motor on it? That's why I'm buying a pontoon
boat. Plus it'll let me sit a little higher.

joe
February 22nd, 2004, 06:43 PM
In article >,
"Hooked" > wrote:

> But can you put a trolling motor on it? That's why I'm buying a pontoon
> boat. Plus it'll let me sit a little higher.

You can put a trolling motor on the Hobie or any yak as well as a canoe.

If you insist on sitting while you fish I have no real answer though I
doubt you will be sitting much higher than you would in a canoe and I
doubt if you will have an option to stand with the pontoon at all.
Trolling motor or not you still have a very high wind profile. This is
one liability even of a canoe. I have heard several stories of canoers
getting in a tight spot as they can make no headway with the wind. Of
course a fast moving storm with high wind is a bad time not to be able
to go where you want. This was with a trolling motor. Probably with
considerable more thrust than the pontoon can accomodate with the
battery requirements.

Pontoons provide a stable platform but are, in my opinion more for
drifting than additionally getting from point to point. You can drift in
anything. And even though I have seen the pontoons rigged with oars I
still think that is more for providing postioning while you drift with
the current.

It will be interesting to see how the pontoon handles getting in/out of
breakers as well.

As always 'different strokes' but I can say I have rarely seen any
pontoon craft in my sal****er trips. On the other hand I have been to
some gatherings with over 100 kayaks, canoes with a piroughe or two for
good measure.
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Visit my site at http://flatsfisher.com

Wolfgang
February 22nd, 2004, 11:59 PM
"joe" > wrote in message

> You can put a trolling motor on...any yak...

****, Id pay a dollar to watch that.

Wolfgang
hold my beer.....watch this.

Hooked
February 23rd, 2004, 12:09 AM
"joe" > wrote in message
> In article >,
>
> You can put a trolling motor on the Hobie or any yak as well as a canoe.
>
> If you insist on sitting while you fish I have no real answer though I
> doubt you will be sitting much higher than you would in a canoe and I
> doubt if you will have an option to stand with the pontoon at all.
> Trolling motor or not you still have a very high wind profile. This is
> one liability even of a canoe. I have heard several stories of canoers
> getting in a tight spot as they can make no headway with the wind. Of
> course a fast moving storm with high wind is a bad time not to be able
> to go where you want. This was with a trolling motor. Probably with
> considerable more thrust than the pontoon can accomodate with the
> battery requirements.
>
> Pontoons provide a stable platform but are, in my opinion more for
> drifting than additionally getting from point to point. You can drift in
> anything. And even though I have seen the pontoons rigged with oars I
> still think that is more for providing postioning while you drift with
> the current.
>
> It will be interesting to see how the pontoon handles getting in/out of
> breakers as well.
>
> As always 'different strokes' but I can say I have rarely seen any
> pontoon craft in my sal****er trips. On the other hand I have been to
> some gatherings with over 100 kayaks, canoes with a piroughe or two for
> good measure.
> --

I will do some fishing while sitting, but mostly use for getting around. I
will be fishing small lakes and slow moving rivers (no white water.) The
reason I want to buy one is to fish small waters that are too deep to wade
and that I can't get my jon boat into. On the rivers I will row up stream a
ways and drift back to fish. If there's a shallow area, I will get out and
wade.

I've already been out on a lake in a canoe when the wind kicked up. No fun
at all. The wind kept blowing the bow everywhere but where I wanted to go.
But that was on a bigger lake, before I bought the jon. And I don't think
I'd have wanted to be out there in a 'yak with the waves the way they were.
I don't plan on fishing in the big lake (Michigan) with it, where the swells
reach 6 feet or more. Probably won't see any lakes over 100 acres.

My trolling motor will produce enough thrust (36 lbs.) to move a light (45
lb.) pontoon. The battery won't have to be of a large size. I won't need
enough juice to move a 1500 lb. fiberglass bass boat for several hours. Plus
the oars will assist.

Hooked
February 23rd, 2004, 05:37 AM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message

> What is a "rowing canoe ?" One advantagea canoe has
> over a kayak is being able to sit on a seat in close-
> to-normal fashion. My daughter and I rented kayaks
> one day last summer, the first time I was ever on
> one (it was a sit-on-top), and paddled 3 - 4 miles.
> At the age of 55 and in less-than-stellar physical
> shape, it was a challenge. Paddling wasn't the problem
> per se, it was paddling while sitting on a narrow flat
> surface.

Those 'yaks do look like they'd be hell on a persons back. I've never
personally used one, but it looks very uncomfortable. I don't think I'd be
able to sit with my legs out-stretched for very long without getting cramps.

Calif Bill
February 23rd, 2004, 05:44 AM
"Hooked" > wrote in message
> "Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> >
> > What is a "rowing canoe ?" One advantagea canoe has
> > over a kayak is being able to sit on a seat in close-
> > to-normal fashion. My daughter and I rented kayaks
> > one day last summer, the first time I was ever on
> > one (it was a sit-on-top), and paddled 3 - 4 miles.
> > At the age of 55 and in less-than-stellar physical
> > shape, it was a challenge. Paddling wasn't the problem
> > per se, it was paddling while sitting on a narrow flat
> > surface.
> >

> Those 'yaks do look like they'd be hell on a persons back. I've never
> personally used one, but it looks very uncomfortable. I don't think I'd be
> able to sit with my legs out-stretched for very long without getting
cramps.

I have an OCean Kayak Agean SOT. There are different notches for your feet
to rest against. I also have a highbacked seat, to rest my back against.
Mine paddles easily, with 2 aboard. With one aboard aslo paddles easy, but
rolls easily also. First yak I tried was a Cobra Tandem. Almost stopped my
yaking. Was a barge to paddle.
Bill

Rodney
February 23rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Hooked wrote:

> Those 'yaks do look like they'd be hell on a persons back. I've never
> personally used one, but it looks very uncomfortable. I don't think I'd be
> able to sit with my legs out-stretched for very long without getting cramps.

All I can say is the OutBack is not,, I have had three back surgeries,
so I know about that, The seat with it's back rest is quite comfortable,
I am also susceptible to getting cramps due to the blood pressure pills
I take,, My legs have never cramped using the OutBack's peddle drive,
that is because your legs are never straight out, but partially bent at
the knees, remember this is a back and forth action, and you do not need
to do full strokes. My legs get cramps at other times though, so if that
was a problem, it would happen when fishing in the OutBAck