PDA

View Full Version : aqua-vu for trolling

mark s
February 23rd, 2004, 02:20 AM
I am thinking about getting an underwater camera to attach to the
downrigger ball. Aqua-vu seems like a decent choice (model SV or MC w/
120 ft cable). Does anyone have any experience trolling w/ this
system?
Is it a hassle to use? How do you like it? Any advice prior to
purchasing?

I will be used primarily to target salmon and walleye on the Great
Lakes.

-Mark

Short Wave Sportfishing
February 23rd, 2004, 05:05 PM
On 22 Feb 2004 18:20:38 -0800, (mark s) wrote:

~snip ~

>I will be used primarily to target salmon and walleye on the Great
>Lakes.

I came up with about fifty wiseass comments to this line, but by the
time I got to fifty-one, all the fun was taken out of it. :>)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Basic Fishing Program:

10 - Fish
20 - Eat
30 - Sleep
40 - Goto 10

Steve
February 23rd, 2004, 07:45 PM
I think you should verify the visiabilty range in the water and depth that
you want to use this in.

This is going to be difficult to determine unless you try doing a test dive
with scuba gear.. Video gear isn't going to improve that.. What you might do
is contact a local dive shop and ask about visibility ranges in the area you
are interested in.

I most coastal water, rivers, lakes, etc. this range is going to be limited.
Perhaps so limited that you wouldn't see a fish unless he is with in a
couple feet of the camera. Not much use if your trolling along at 5 knots.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

JT
March 25th, 2004, 01:24 PM
You could go to your fish monger and see the fish in person before you bring
them home all filleted. Or you can watch the fish swim by your downriggers
and ponder why they aren't hitting your bait...