PDA

View Full Version : rod and reel selection?

toodeep
March 12th, 2004, 06:17 AM
folks'

looking for a good setup for fishing the ny/nj/raritan area, mostly
fluke and stipers...some weakfish and blues. does anyone have any ideal
choice. I'm looking for the perfect all-round setup. any guidelines
would be a help.

licker
March 12th, 2004, 07:18 AM
I don't fish for those types of fish but from what I know about their size
and fight, I would get a 6.6 to a 7 foot medium heavy rod with a spin cast
reel or a good bait caster.

Sarge

Short Wave Sportfishing
March 12th, 2004, 12:48 PM
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 05:17:37 GMT, toodeep > wrote:

>folks'
>
>looking for a good setup for fishing the ny/nj/raritan area, mostly
>fluke and stipers...some weakfish and blues. does anyone have any ideal
>choice. I'm looking for the perfect all-round setup. any guidelines
>would be a help.

A medium to medium/heavy 6 1/2 to 7 foot composite rod like an Ugly
Stick is perfect for stripers and bluefish. Weakfish and fluke, 6 to
6 1/2 foot medium would be fine.

The reel is the Achilles heel of any fishing system. Get good ones
built for salt/brackish water from Penn, Shimano - any of the majors.
I would suggest that you use 12 to 17 pound test on a spinning reel
for stripers/bluefish and 8 to 12 pound test for weakfish and fluke.
Match the reel to the line.

Good luck - have fun.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)