PDA

View Full Version : Hints for drift fishing?

Rich
March 26th, 2004, 09:48 PM
In the Mobile Bay area and Gulf near Dauphin Island.

Where , how, what bait, what rig, what fish to expect? I know this is a
broad question, but with gas prices high is there any hope that just
floating along can be productive. Also it seems it would be more peaceful.

Thanks,
Rich

licker
March 27th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Rich wrote: "In the Mobile Bay area and Gulf near Dauphin Island.
>Where , how, what bait, what rig, what fish to expect? I know this is
a broad question, but with gas prices high is there any >hope that just
floating along can be productive. Also it seems it would be more peaceful.

Your best bet would be to talk to the marina owners. They can tell you
where reefs me be or and other structure that may hold fish. It is getting
close to shrimp season so fish will be chasing them. Look for the birds
diving in the water or even if they are just sitting on the water try
drifting over that area. Drift past any points or piers can be productive
also however you may want to use a trolling motor to do this. See scenario
below to understand.

In Louisiana's Lake Pontchartrain there is a spot called the trestles. It
is popular here because it holds a lot of 5 to 8 LB speckle trout. The
water here is 12 to 17 feet deep and the current moves from one side of the
trestle to the other. In order to fish this you need to be on the down
stream side of the trestle and throw your lure into the current under the
trestle. This allows the lure to get to the bottom. You then must bounce
the lure off the bottom back to the boat. By doing this the trout will see
the lure pass with the current and it will imitate the bait in a more
natural state. You will get more strikes like this then throwing with the
current.

Sarge

Short Wave Sportfishing
March 27th, 2004, 11:36 AM
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:48:00 GMT, "Rich" >
wrote:

>In the Mobile Bay area and Gulf near Dauphin Island.
>
>Where , how, what bait, what rig, what fish to expect? I know this is a
>broad question, but with gas prices high is there any hope that just
>floating along can be productive. Also it seems it would be more peaceful.

Around here, fish finder rigs - a predecessor of the "drop shot"
technigue popular with sweet water bass types - works very well in
current or drifting bait/lures off the bottom. Drift fishing can be
relaxing, but it can also be non-productive if you aren't working the
drift over structure right. A couple of passes with different
weights and bait/lure combinations will give you an idea of "the
approach of the moment". Watch the other boats in the area and see
what they are doing. This article http://tinyurl.com/3yba5 has some
great information on the "Zen" of drift fishing. :>)

As licker said, check with local bait shops - they usually have the
latest information or if you are launching at a marina, check with the
office - they usually have the information.

Good luck - have fun.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Short Wave Sportfishing
March 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:41:30 -0600, "licker" >
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

>In Louisiana's Lake Pontchartrain there is a spot called the trestles. It
>is popular here because it holds a lot of 5 to 8 LB speckle trout.

Been there - done that - TONS of fun. :>)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT