PDA

View Full Version : Montauk Sportfishing Report 10/7/03

Capt Gene Kelly
October 7th, 2003, 02:53 PM
October 7, 2003

The pumpkins getting frosty, at least in the mornings, and I'm going to have
to start wearing
socks soon. The cool weather hasn't hurt the fishing, and it may even help
the surfcasters by
getting rid of the deadly mosquitoes that have kept them off the beaches
after dark for the last
couple of weeks. Rumors are that the state is going to get new results on
their bug trapping on
Wednesday, and if things look OK, they will reopen the parks then. If not, I
'm going to get one
of those coffee trucks and park it where the everyone waits in line for the
barricades to be taken
down at 8:00 am.

The bass must have taken pity on the poor surfcasters, and realizing that
they haven't been able
to fish nights, have bitten pretty well during the daylight hours. The
leaderboard in the Locals
contest has had a couple of changes, and now all the fish listed are over
thirty pounds. I forgot to
write down the name of the leaders, but they will probably change by next
week anyway.

Offshore the bluefins have been cooperating nicely by following the fall
script - and draggers.
Right now the action is centered between 500 & 550 on the top line and
around 650 on the
bottom one, but that is changeable as the draggers move around, probably
working westward and
closer to the Point. By this time of the year though the winds often dictate
whether you can
offshore or not, but so far it has been holding up alright. But not many of
the charter boats have
been going out there, preferring to book inshore trips that are less
affected by the breeze.

As for me, I'm just about done for the season. I've taken the boat that I
run out of the water, and
am starting to get more involved with the winter work - booking fishing
trips to Latin America.
So, if you have been thinking about fishing somewhere warm this winter, like
Costa Rica, or
Guatemala, or Belize, or anywhere down there, now is the time to get started
on the planning.
Give me a call. The worst that can come of it is we'll spend a little time
BS-ing about some great
fishing locations.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at
. And for more information about fishing in
Montauk, you
can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http://www.montauksportfishing.com.

--
Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing - Tropical Fishing Adventures

barbz
October 8th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Capt Gene Kelly wrote:
> October 7, 2003
>
> The pumpkins getting frosty, at least in the mornings, and I'm going to have
> to start wearing
> socks soon. The cool weather hasn't hurt the fishing, and it may even help
> the surfcasters by
> getting rid of the deadly mosquitoes that have kept them off the beaches
> after dark for the last
> couple of weeks. Rumors are that the state is going to get new results on
> their bug trapping on
> Wednesday, and if things look OK, they will reopen the parks then. If not, I
> 'm going to get one
> of those coffee trucks and park it where the everyone waits in line for the
> barricades to be taken
> down at 8:00 am.
>
> The bass must have taken pity on the poor surfcasters, and realizing that
> they haven't been able
> to fish nights, have bitten pretty well during the daylight hours. The
> leaderboard in the Locals
> contest has had a couple of changes, and now all the fish listed are over
> thirty pounds. I forgot to
> write down the name of the leaders, but they will probably change by next
> week anyway.
>
> Offshore the bluefins have been cooperating nicely by following the fall
> script - and draggers.
> Right now the action is centered between 500 & 550 on the top line and
> around 650 on the
> bottom one, but that is changeable as the draggers move around, probably
> working westward and
> closer to the Point. By this time of the year though the winds often dictate
> whether you can
> offshore or not, but so far it has been holding up alright. But not many of
> the charter boats have
> been going out there, preferring to book inshore trips that are less
> affected by the breeze.
>
> As for me, I'm just about done for the season. I've taken the boat that I
> run out of the water, and
> am starting to get more involved with the winter work - booking fishing
> trips to Latin America.
> So, if you have been thinking about fishing somewhere warm this winter, like
> Costa Rica, or
> Guatemala, or Belize, or anywhere down there, now is the time to get started
> on the planning.
> Give me a call. The worst that can come of it is we'll spend a little time
> BS-ing about some great
> fishing locations.
>
> If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
> note at
> . And for more information about fishing in
> Montauk, you
> can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
> http://www.montauksportfishing.com.
>

> --
> Capt Gene Kelly
> Montauk Sportfishing - Tropical Fishing Adventures

Yep, winter's a'comin. Yesterday was the first day our boat didn't go
out, only 2 passengers showed up and we need at least 6. On Monday we
just did a local 3/4 day, the Coronado Island bite shut down. I brought
my new 8' bass rod, and the first fish I caught on it was a very nice
Calico bass! Then I got a sand bass. Then the bonito started biting!
Now, that was really fun on this little rod! One guy from Missouri
caught a mako shark about 5' long. He didn't want it, so a heap of
steaks came home with me. Succulent! I filleted out a few bonito and
cooked 'em up on the grill with onions and lemon pepper, and handed them
out to the passengers. Most of them were suprised that bonito can taste
so good! You have to bleed it and chill immediately for it to be of any
use, but it makes a great tuna salad as well.

So Capn Gene...need a cook on that tropical paradise tour? <G>

barb