PDA

View Full Version : Proper size salmon hook

Webmaster
October 16th, 2003, 05:11 AM
I need some information. I hooked a salmon today and fought it for around
10 - 15 minutes. I was fishing a swift river using salmon eggs and a float.
(The fish got away)

A short discussion came about to the proper size of a hook for the salmon. I
was using a 2/0 snell hook. I did have the salmon to around 5' from my
location and would guess it to be between 20 - 30 pounds.

So... What would size hook would you use?

October 16th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Need more info, hook size is dependent on rod action and line weight more
than on the size of the fish. More than anything else you probably made the
mistake of getting the fish on a short line and pulled the hook out of it's
mouth. It better to lighten your drag and back away from the bank if you can
and let him beach himself with still enough line and rod tension to protect
the hook in his mouth. Most fish are lost at the beach or boat because of
the short line effect.

AKpredator
October 16th, 2003, 07:00 AM
"Webmaster" > wrote in message
> I need some information. I hooked a salmon today and fought it for around
> 10 - 15 minutes. I was fishing a swift river using salmon eggs and a
float.
> (The fish got away)
>
> A short discussion came about to the proper size of a hook for the salmon.
> was using a 2/0 snell hook. I did have the salmon to around 5' from my
> location and would guess it to be between 20 - 30 pounds.
>
> So... What would size hook would you use?

I always use a 5/0 Gamakatsu for Silvers and Kings. They have a very tough
mouth so you have to really set the hook. I have bent these before but never
straightened one out.

C/J
October 19th, 2003, 05:59 PM
"AKpredator" > wrote in message

> "Webmaster" > wrote in message
> > I need some information. I hooked a salmon today and fought it for
around
> > 10 - 15 minutes. I was fishing a swift river using salmon eggs and a
> float.
> > (The fish got away)
> >
> > A short discussion came about to the proper size of a hook for the
salmon.
> > was using a 2/0 snell hook. I did have the salmon to around 5' from my
> > location and would guess it to be between 20 - 30 pounds.
> >
> > So... What would size hook would you use?
> >
> I always use a 5/0 Gamakatsu for Silvers and Kings. They have a very tough
> mouth so you have to really set the hook. I have bent these before but
never
> straightened one out.
>
> AK,

What do you use for reds?
jon

AKpredator
October 20th, 2003, 01:13 AM
"C/J" <deepwoods > wrote in message

> "AKpredator" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Webmaster" > wrote in message
> > > I need some information. I hooked a salmon today and fought it for
> around
> > > 10 - 15 minutes. I was fishing a swift river using salmon eggs and a
> > float.
> > > (The fish got away)
> > >
> > > A short discussion came about to the proper size of a hook for the
> salmon.
> > > was using a 2/0 snell hook. I did have the salmon to around 5' from my
> > > location and would guess it to be between 20 - 30 pounds.
> > >
> > > So... What would size hook would you use?
> > >
> > I always use a 5/0 Gamakatsu for Silvers and Kings. They have a very
tough
> > mouth so you have to really set the hook. I have bent these before but
> never
> > straightened one out.
> >
> > AK,
>
> What do you use for reds?
> jon

I'm not sure what size for sure. The rules for reds where I fish require you
to use only a fly. They do have a size limit which I believe is a #3 with no
more than an 1/2" spread from the point and main length of the hook. I just
buy Russian River Flies and don't have to worry about it since thats where I
fish for them anyway. They don't actually strike the fly either, it's called
precision snagging. Just get the line to drift through their mouth and give
it a rip. As long as their hooked in the mouth you can keep them. Many times
you can save a trip to the store by pulling all the flies out of their
tails, backs and bellies.

Pepperoni
October 20th, 2003, 02:13 AM
"AKpredator" > wrote in message
> I'm not sure what size for sure. The rules for reds where I fish require
you
> to use only a fly. They do have a size limit which I believe is a #3 with
no
> more than an 1/2" spread from the point and main length of the hook. I
just
> buy Russian River Flies and don't have to worry about it since thats where
> fish for them anyway. They don't actually strike the fly either, it's
called
> precision snagging. Just get the line to drift through their mouth and
give
> it a rip. As long as their hooked in the mouth you can keep them. Many
times
> you can save a trip to the store by pulling all the flies out of their
> tails, backs and bellies.

That reminds me of a method we use sometimes. When the chinooks are
schooling to spawn, they sometimes swim with their jaws spread wide. It is
an unusual sight with their jaws spread open a foot wide. We tie a weighted
dropper just heavy enough to hold the bottom and set the rods in a
holder---- tight lining for salmon. The fish swim around and pick up the
line in their open jaws, slide down the line and hook themselves when they
hit the hook.

I have no idea why salmon should swim this way, and they seem to all be
doing this at the same time.....usually in their spawning area in the
harbor. (planted in the harbor because the inlet stream is only 8 inches
deep and 7 feet across---led to unusual fish congregations when they were
planted in the stream) Usually seen at night in the lights of the harbor
dock.

Arklier
October 21st, 2003, 06:15 AM
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:13:06 -0800, "AKpredator" >
wrote:

>I'm not sure what size for sure. The rules for reds where I fish require you
>to use only a fly. They do have a size limit which I believe is a #3 with no
>more than an 1/2" spread from the point and main length of the hook. I just
>buy Russian River Flies and don't have to worry about it since thats where I
>fish for them anyway. They don't actually strike the fly either, it's called
>precision snagging. Just get the line to drift through their mouth and give
>it a rip. As long as their hooked in the mouth you can keep them. Many times
>you can save a trip to the store by pulling all the flies out of their
>tails, backs and bellies.

Where I come from, this technique is usually referred to as 'flossing'
and is just as illegal as any other type of snagging. It will get you
a hefty ticket if the game warden notices you doing it.

--

If you can't figure out my address, you need help.

Girl gamer since 1984,

Atari/NES/Genesis/SNES/DC/GC/PS1-2/Xbox/PC gamer

AKpredator
October 23rd, 2003, 03:49 AM
"Arklier" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:13:06 -0800, "AKpredator" >
> wrote:
> >>
> >I'm not sure what size for sure. The rules for reds where I fish require
you
> >to use only a fly. They do have a size limit which I believe is a #3 with
no
> >more than an 1/2" spread from the point and main length of the hook. I
just
> >buy Russian River Flies and don't have to worry about it since thats
where I
> >fish for them anyway. They don't actually strike the fly either, it's
called
> >precision snagging. Just get the line to drift through their mouth and
give
> >it a rip. As long as their hooked in the mouth you can keep them. Many
times
> >you can save a trip to the store by pulling all the flies out of their
> >tails, backs and bellies.
>
> Where I come from, this technique is usually referred to as 'flossing'
> and is just as illegal as any other type of snagging. It will get you
> a hefty ticket if the game warden notices you doing it.
>
> --
They would sure give out alot of tickets up here then. Have you ever seen
pictures of combat fishing in Alaska? That's what they all are doing. By the
time salmon get to where we're fishing they aren't feeding anymore, just
wanting to spawn so that's pretty much the only way to catch them. Kings and
Silvers will still hit on roe for awhile but even they quit feeding fairly
quickly after getting to freshwater.