PDA

View Full Version : Re: Lottery funds misused

Landrew
November 9th, 2003, 10:25 PM
"Anonymous Sender" > wrote in message
acolo.com...
> LOng arcticle but interesting.
>
> http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1754389,00.html
>
> Records show proceeds spent in ways not endorsed by voters
>
> By Trent Seibert
> Denver Post Staff Writer
>
> A multimillion-dollar state lottery fund that is supposed to pay for parks
> and recreation is being used for everything from cellphone bills to air
> conditioners and Christmas parades.
>
> ---
> Castle Rock: $92,000 for a tax refund mandated by the Taxpayer's Bill of
> Rights
>
> Commerce City: $25,000 for acquisition of a bronze statue
>
> Pueblo: $20,000 toward a now- defunct minor league baseball team
>
> Carbon Valley Parks & Recreation District: $13,632 for a 2002 Chevrolet
pickup

> North Fork Pool, Park & Recreation District: $7,174 for property and
> liability insurance

Commerce City and Pueblo may be questionable, but Carbon Valley Parks and
North Fork Pool should fall under the guidelines. However, restricting all
proceeds to Parks and Recreation, Open Space, etc. is not what I would have
voted for.

Lottery proceeds could be used to set up endowment funds for public
education
and someday remove the burden of funding from the taxpayers.

Peace