PDA

View Full Version : Rod, Reel, Tackle and line help please!

willherb
November 27th, 2003, 05:33 PM
I am an amateur to a degree. I got given a rod and reel and was taught the
basics of fishing. I have no problem setting up a very basic rig and
catching fish however when it comes to the technical stuff I am poor. I go
beach and pier fishing. The eye at the end of my rod is going and the
others are going green so I have decided to go nuts and over hall the lot.

What I need to know is for the :

1.1 Rod what material should it be made from
1.2 What should the casting weight be
1.3 Strength for pier fishing
1.4 Any thing else

2.1 Which reel should I get fixed or multi though I don't like the idea of
the birdnests multi's can give
2.2 Once decided on fixed or multi what else to look for

3.1 What tackle other than hooks, swivels and the 3 way swivels?
3.2 What weight of weight?

4 Is braided line the best and if not what else should I look for that will
be strong but not stretch to much so I can tell whether I have a bite or
not.

I know its a lot but I don't want to waste money. I don't want cheap and
cheerful but not expensive rubbish that I don't really need.

Many thanks for your help guys and girls and keep fishing big fish just
leave some for me

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
November 27th, 2003, 06:35 PM
"willherb" > wrote in message
> I am an amateur to a degree. I got given a rod and reel and was taught the
> basics of fishing. I have no problem setting up a very basic rig and
> catching fish however when it comes to the technical stuff I am poor. I go
> beach and pier fishing. The eye at the end of my rod is going and the
> others are going green so I have decided to go nuts and over hall the lot.
>
> What I need to know is for the :
>
> 1.1 Rod what material should it be made from

***Rods are either graphite or fiberglass.

> 1.2 What should the casting weight be

***That is going to be totally dependant upon fishing conditions, current flow, tides, etc., whether
you plan on fishing on the bottom, surface or someplace in between.

> 1.3 Strength for pier fishing

***That is going to depend on the size/species fish you are targetting.

> 1.4 Any thing else

***A book could be written on "Anything Else?"

> 2.1 Which reel should I get fixed or multi though I don't like the idea of
> the birdnests multi's can give

***Spinning Tackle is easier to use, but baitcasting (multi), in the hands of a proficient caster
can reach greater distances and offer more control over a fish.

> 2.2 Once decided on fixed or multi what else to look for

***Quality construction, multiple bearings, adequate line capacity, smooth drag, proper size for the
job.

> 3.1 What tackle other than hooks, swivels and the 3 way swivels?

***Again, a book could be written on this subject. You're going to have to fine tune the question a
little bit more. You'll need lures, weights, floats, leader material, etc. depending on the type of
fishing you're doing at the time.

> 3.2 What weight of weight?

***That is totally dependant upon the depth of the water being fished, currents, tides, size of
bait, etc.

> 4 Is braided line the best and if not what else should I look for that will
> be strong but not stretch to much so I can tell whether I have a bite or
> not.

***Best is a relative term. Mono offers more stretch, which can be an advantage when playing a
fish, acting somewhat like a shock absorber, but it also means that hooksets are more difficult.
Braided offers great strength/line diameter ratio and fantastic hooksets, but can make playing a
fish more dependant upon proper drag settings and angler ability.

> I know its a lot but I don't want to waste money. I don't want cheap and
> cheerful but not expensive rubbish that I don't really need.

***There's far more information you need than can be answered in one e-mail. It would be a great
help if you could define local conditions and species/type of fishing you wish to do.

> Many thanks for your help guys and girls and keep fishing big fish just
> leave some for me

Good luck,
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

licker
November 28th, 2003, 12:45 AM
Since you are in England try going to
http://www.anglinguk.net/acatalog/Swiftys/Swiftys_Coarse_Fishing_19.html
The sight can link you with the proper tackle for type of fish sought.

Sarge

ASIS
November 28th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of fishing... may i suggest you visit these
sites which i think may help with your enquiries;
1. www.rexhunt.com.au
2. www.nwfcau.com

tight lines and good fishing

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"willherb" > wrote in message
> I am an amateur to a degree. I got given a rod and reel and was taught
the
> basics of fishing. I have no problem setting up a very basic rig and
> catching fish however when it comes to the technical stuff I am poor. I
go
> beach and pier fishing. The eye at the end of my rod is going and the
> others are going green so I have decided to go nuts and over hall the lot.
>
> What I need to know is for the :
>
> 1.1 Rod what material should it be made from
> 1.2 What should the casting weight be
> 1.3 Strength for pier fishing
> 1.4 Any thing else
>
> 2.1 Which reel should I get fixed or multi though I don't like the idea of
> the birdnests multi's can give
> 2.2 Once decided on fixed or multi what else to look for
>
> 3.1 What tackle other than hooks, swivels and the 3 way swivels?
> 3.2 What weight of weight?
>
> 4 Is braided line the best and if not what else should I look for that
will
> be strong but not stretch to much so I can tell whether I have a bite or
> not.
>
> I know its a lot but I don't want to waste money. I don't want cheap and
> cheerful but not expensive rubbish that I don't really need.
>
> Many thanks for your help guys and girls and keep fishing big fish just
> leave some for me

willherb
November 28th, 2003, 04:56 PM
For the fishing itself I would be fishing of a peir with a drop to the water
of about 20ft and i would be after fish from about 1-8 pound the latter more
hopefull than reallity. salt water and i am not overly worried about the
casting distance.

Hope this new info can help my question become more answerable.