PDA

View Full Version : the perfect tacklebox

Lisa
December 16th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Good morning all,

Let me start this post by saying I know less than nothing about fishing.
However, my husband loves to fish. Therefore I am trolling the fishing NG's
for some info (get it? trolling??? LOL! ... sorry, couldn't resist).

Anyway, through a series of odd circumstances, he has lost all of his tackle
and has only his fishing pole left. I would like to get him a nice starter
tackle box for Christmas but really have no clue what to put in it.

My budget is fairly small, perhaps $40 at the max. I need to get him a
tackle box, of course, but then I need to know what are the basic items that
every tackle box should have.

I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but we live near the Gulf
Coast, so he would have access to fishing there, but he also enjoys fishing
in lakes and streams, wherever he can.

I'd sure appreciate any input to make this a great Christmas present!

Thanks,
Lisa

joe
December 16th, 2003, 02:27 PM
In article >,
"Lisa" > wrote:

> Good morning all,
>
> Let me start this post by saying I know less than nothing about fishing.
> However, my husband loves to fish. Therefore I am trolling the fishing NG's
> for some info (get it? trolling??? LOL! ... sorry, couldn't resist).
>
> Anyway, through a series of odd circumstances, he has lost all of his tackle
> and has only his fishing pole left. I would like to get him a nice starter
> tackle box for Christmas but really have no clue what to put in it.
>
> My budget is fairly small, perhaps $40 at the max. I need to get him a
> tackle box, of course, but then I need to know what are the basic items that
> every tackle box should have.
>
> I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but we live near the Gulf
> Coast, so he would have access to fishing there, but he also enjoys fishing
> in lakes and streams, wherever he can.
>
> I'd sure appreciate any input to make this a great Christmas present!
>
> Thanks,
> Lisa

The budget is a little tight actually. In fact most husbands work hard
to hide their fishing tackle expenditures.

As for a tackle box, it may be a matter of personal taste. There is a
trend to use multiple modular, flat cases that may fit into a soft case.
The nice thing is that these individual cases are inexpensive. They
allow an angler to dedicate each box to specific types of tackle and can
be combined as needed without carrying tackle that is not needed. These
can be found in various sizes for $3 - $6 usually. I found some that are
watertight which is a help in sal****er as it can destroy hooks and
lures if they are submersed and not rinsed in fresh water.

Even with only a couple of cases you don't have much left for tackle. My
suggestion would be to get a few nice lures and then your husband can
get the assorted hooks, weights, swivels, etc.

These lures will cost between $4 and $8 usually.

For lures, a topwater, suspending and diving would be handy.

Walking topwater lures: Top Dog, She Dog, Zara Spook

Topwater popping lures: Skitterpop, Chug Bug

Suspending lures: Catch 2000

Diving lures: Mirro-lure (various types, check with the sales person)

In addition, one of the best lures for salt or fresh water is a spoon. I
prefer the silver for reds, trout and snook but the gold is also a
favorite of many for reds. Also, the popular spinner baits and buzz
baits used for fresh water bass are now being used also for reds in
sal****er.

Lastly, you may want to get a few soft plastic lures or 'jerk baits'
such as the Exude RT Slug (there is a fresh and salt version)

Hope this helps.
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

Lisa
December 16th, 2003, 04:10 PM
"joe" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> The budget is a little tight actually. In fact most husbands work hard
> to hide their fishing tackle expenditures.

LOL! Well, I guess I'd rather he spend money on fishing tackle than a lot of
other things I can think of!

You gave a lot of really great suggestions but I think since, as you say,
the budget is tight, let's see if we can back it up just a bit.

What are the absolute must-haves for ANY tackle box? What is the standard
size hook? Would a small knife be useful, or perhaps small scissors? Would a
spool of line be useful or not? Are those little red and white plastic
bobbers worth having?

Pretend you're buying your child's first tackle box and you want to cover
all areas in a very general fashion, allowing him/her to choose what he/she
wants to upgrade to.

Seriously, right now he has nothing, so I really just need the basics that
all fishing folk must have.

Thanks again,
Lisa

John Letendre
December 16th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Wal-mart has some pre made tackle boxes. They are for different fish
species. I have seen thm for bass, trout and pan fish. They are cheap enough
that you might get all three. or just get bass and panfish...those will
catch most anything. Not the greatest but a good start.
John
"Lisa" > wrote in message
m...
> Good morning all,
>
> Let me start this post by saying I know less than nothing about fishing.
> However, my husband loves to fish. Therefore I am trolling the fishing
NG's
> for some info (get it? trolling??? LOL! ... sorry, couldn't resist).
>
> Anyway, through a series of odd circumstances, he has lost all of his
tackle
> and has only his fishing pole left. I would like to get him a nice starter
> tackle box for Christmas but really have no clue what to put in it.
>
> My budget is fairly small, perhaps $40 at the max. I need to get him a
> tackle box, of course, but then I need to know what are the basic items
that
> every tackle box should have.
>
> I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but we live near the Gulf
> Coast, so he would have access to fishing there, but he also enjoys
fishing
> in lakes and streams, wherever he can.
>
> I'd sure appreciate any input to make this a great Christmas present!
>
> Thanks,
> Lisa

Ken
December 16th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Hi Lisa,

I like the softside tackle bag that has the interchangeable plastic boxes.
Mine will take 5 to 6 - 3600 size boxes. Add the following:
10" filleted(sp?) with sheath or case
Fishing clippers (stainless steel)(similar to nail clippers)
Hook remover (long handle with jaws at one end and squeeze handle at the
other)
Leader material (15-25 lb test for inshore fishing)
1/0 circle hooks for sal****er fishing. Maybe an assortment of other hooks.
Assortment of egg sinkers
Assortment of swivels
Cork bobbers (assorted). Stay away from the plastic bobbers, they don't last
long.

Most of my fishing tackle I purchased at Wal-Mart. If you are looking for
tackle or lures specific to the area or type of fishing that he likes, visit
a local tackle shop. They should be able to help.

Good luck, maybe he will be buying you a rod and reel so you can go with
him!

Halon

"Lisa" > wrote in message
m...
> Good morning all,
>
> Let me start this post by saying I know less than nothing about fishing.
> However, my husband loves to fish. Therefore I am trolling the fishing
NG's
> for some info (get it? trolling??? LOL! ... sorry, couldn't resist).
>
> Anyway, through a series of odd circumstances, he has lost all of his
tackle
> and has only his fishing pole left. I would like to get him a nice starter
> tackle box for Christmas but really have no clue what to put in it.
>
> My budget is fairly small, perhaps $40 at the max. I need to get him a
> tackle box, of course, but then I need to know what are the basic items
that
> every tackle box should have.
>
> I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but we live near the Gulf
> Coast, so he would have access to fishing there, but he also enjoys
fishing
> in lakes and streams, wherever he can.
>
> I'd sure appreciate any input to make this a great Christmas present!
>
> Thanks,
> Lisa

Sierra fisher
December 17th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Go to Walmart and ask the dept manager for advice. then when your hubby
gets the gift, he can take back what he doesn't want and buy what he needs

"Lisa" > wrote in message
m...
> Good morning all,
>
> Let me start this post by saying I know less than nothing about fishing.
> However, my husband loves to fish. Therefore I am trolling the fishing
NG's
> for some info (get it? trolling??? LOL! ... sorry, couldn't resist).
>
> Anyway, through a series of odd circumstances, he has lost all of his
tackle
> and has only his fishing pole left. I would like to get him a nice starter
> tackle box for Christmas but really have no clue what to put in it.
>
> My budget is fairly small, perhaps $40 at the max. I need to get him a
> tackle box, of course, but then I need to know what are the basic items
that
> every tackle box should have.
>
> I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but we live near the Gulf
> Coast, so he would have access to fishing there, but he also enjoys
fishing
> in lakes and streams, wherever he can.
>
> I'd sure appreciate any input to make this a great Christmas present!
>
> Thanks,
> Lisa

---

joe
December 17th, 2003, 04:29 AM
In article >,
"Lisa" > wrote:

> ou gave a lot of really great suggestions but I think since, as you say,
> the budget is tight, let's see if we can back it up just a bit.
>
> What are the absolute must-haves for ANY tackle box? What is the standard
> size hook? Would a small knife be useful, or perhaps small scissors? Would a
> spool of line be useful or not? Are those little red and white plastic
> bobbers worth having?
>
> Pretend you're buying your child's first tackle box and you want to cover
> all areas in a very general fashion, allowing him/her to choose what he/she
> wants to upgrade to.
>
> Seriously, right now he has nothing, so I really just need the basics that
> all fishing folk must have.

My suggestions for the lures as opposed to the basics are because they
will be something that last (till some trophy fish makes an angler part
with them anyway). It is kind of like if he were buying some items for
the house. A nice picture that will be viewed and treasured is better
than getting the doodads to hang the picture. That is not a great
example but maybe it helps.

I consider hooks and line as expendables. I hate to lose any lure I
have. Even more if it was a gift from someone important. The line and
other items are things that he will pick up as needed.

While you can get an entry level rod and reel for about $20 or so taking
up angling more seriously that will be a limit to enjoyment. I still
suggest get him a few nice items that are flexible enough to use in
fresh or sal****er and for varied species and he will add the sundry
items along the way.

Also, the size hooks you use are completely different for nearly every
kind of angling. Line is dependent on the fishing outfit and again the
type of fishing. I am not well to do and neither are most of the folks I
fish with. However, I have probably spent a few thousand dollars on my
fishing hobby (A couple of fly outfits for salt, another for trout,
fresh water spinning outfits, 7 or 8 various sal****er outfits for flats
fish from a few pounds to over 100 pounds, TOO much tackle; Bass Pro is
on my way home). I don't even own a power boat!

That is the best I can do as a suggestion.

Good luck!

Atlanta Joe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Visit my site at http://flatsfisher.com

Bob La Londe
December 17th, 2003, 05:20 AM
"joe" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Lisa" > wrote:
>
> > ou gave a lot of really great suggestions but I think since, as you say,
> > the budget is tight, let's see if we can back it up just a bit.
> >
> > What are the absolute must-haves for ANY tackle box? What is the
standard
> > size hook? Would a small knife be useful, or perhaps small scissors?
Would a
> > spool of line be useful or not? Are those little red and white plastic
> > bobbers worth having?
> >
> > Pretend you're buying your child's first tackle box and you want to
cover
> > all areas in a very general fashion, allowing him/her to choose what
he/she
> > wants to upgrade to.
> >
> > Seriously, right now he has nothing, so I really just need the basics
that
> > all fishing folk must have.
>
> My suggestions for the lures as opposed to the basics are because they
> will be something that last (till some trophy fish makes an angler part
> with them anyway). It is kind of like if he were buying some items for
> the house. A nice picture that will be viewed and treasured is better
> than getting the doodads to hang the picture. That is not a great
> example but maybe it helps.
>
> I consider hooks and line as expendables. I hate to lose any lure I
> have. Even more if it was a gift from someone important. The line and
> other items are things that he will pick up as needed.
>
> While you can get an entry level rod and reel for about $20 or so taking
> up angling more seriously that will be a limit to enjoyment. I still
> suggest get him a few nice items that are flexible enough to use in
> fresh or sal****er and for varied species and he will add the sundry
> items along the way.
>
> Also, the size hooks you use are completely different for nearly every
> kind of angling. Line is dependent on the fishing outfit and again the
> type of fishing. I am not well to do and neither are most of the folks I
> fish with. However, I have probably spent a few thousand dollars on my
> fishing hobby (A couple of fly outfits for salt, another for trout,
> fresh water spinning outfits, 7 or 8 various sal****er outfits for flats
> fish from a few pounds to over 100 pounds, TOO much tackle; Bass Pro is
> on my way home). I don't even own a power boat!
>
> That is the best I can do as a suggestion.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Atlanta Joe

I stayed away from this thread initially, but I think Joe is right on the
money. It is awfully hard to make any decisions with the limit you gave. I
might suggest spending all of the money on a good tackle system, and if you
feel up for it give your honey permission to spend soem mney of his own on
filling it up without too much guilt.

Most of my fishing reels cost more than your budget, and with out knowing
what kind of fishign he is doing I would find it very difficult to spend the
few dollars remaining after buying a decent tackle system on something that
would certainly be usefult o him.

For instance. I fish for bass in tournaments. That means that I would
certainly have days when I will throw a spinner bait, but where I live only
on days when conditions are ideal. In addition I pretty much only use
Secret Weapon Lures spinner baits. I would be very happy if somebody gave
me some Gambler or Ninja Spin spinner baits, but I would probably not use
them more than a token cast or two.

Seriously, I think if you spent your entire $40 on something like this and
let him populate it himself you would both get the most from your gift.

http://tinyurl.com/zl5i

This is a link to a tackle bag with removable boxes that fits in your price
range. If you decide to go a little extra you might put a gift certificate
to Cabelas in the box.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Spoonplugger
December 17th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Hi Lisa
was just reading your post and thought I would make this offer
I have an old box here it is a flambeau strike force tackle box that ill
never use
and never throw out it is yours if you would like it would not make it there
for xmas
but I could throw it on a gray hound and it would be there soon. so then you
could
just work on the stuff to fill it. I can send you a pick of the box if you
like you can email me direct at
spoonplugger67 at hotmail.com
Wayne
"Sierra fisher" > wrote in message
> Go to Walmart and ask the dept manager for advice. then when your hubby
> gets the gift, he can take back what he doesn't want and buy what he needs
>

> "Lisa" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Good morning all,
> >
> > Let me start this post by saying I know less than nothing about fishing.
> > However, my husband loves to fish. Therefore I am trolling the fishing
> NG's
> > for some info (get it? trolling??? LOL! ... sorry, couldn't resist).
> >
> > Anyway, through a series of odd circumstances, he has lost all of his
> tackle
> > and has only his fishing pole left. I would like to get him a nice
starter
> > tackle box for Christmas but really have no clue what to put in it.
> >
> > My budget is fairly small, perhaps $40 at the max. I need to get him a
> > tackle box, of course, but then I need to know what are the basic items
> that
> > every tackle box should have.
> >
> > I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but we live near the
Gulf
> > Coast, so he would have access to fishing there, but he also enjoys
> fishing
> > in lakes and streams, wherever he can.
> >
> > I'd sure appreciate any input to make this a great Christmas present!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Lisa
> >

> ---

Scott
December 21st, 2003, 09:56 PM
Hi Lisa,

I'd suggest going to Walmart and buying a soft tackle box with the
pull out trays, because they are very versitle as other people have
mentioned.

Some of the things he'll need are:

nail clippers-to cut line
needle nose pliers- to remove hooks
stringer (I prefer the chain ones over the rope style)
Filet glove if he eats what he catches
Filet knife again, if he eats what he catches
small first aid kit- because you love him

Because fishing is such a personal sport, I'd let him pick out the
lures, hooks etc. Pretty much everything I listed is pretty common,
except for the first aid kit, us fishermen are tough!!!!

I hope this helps!!

Scott

Would love to go fishing but don't know how to start?

Check out http://www.getstartedfishing.com

Getting started has never been so easy!