PDA

View Full Version : Going Ice Fishing on Sat

Sean Portno
December 23rd, 2003, 09:15 PM
Hello,

I'm going ice fishing in northern MN this Saturday and I was wondering
what kind of knife I should use. It seems that I would need one with
a pretty long blade if I am going to be able to stab any fish that are
more than a foot below the ice.

How long a blade should I get?

thanks,

Sean

Rodney
December 24th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Sean Portno wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm going ice fishing in northern MN this Saturday and I was wondering
> what kind of knife I should use. It seems that I would need one with
> a pretty long blade if I am going to be able to stab any fish that are
> more than a foot below the ice.
>
> How long a blade should I get?

I'm not sure, may be you need a spear instead

> thanks,
>
> Sean

I tried Ice fishing once,, the bags of ice did not last long, when
thrown into the lake, and they didn't seam to draw any fish,, maybe I
was doing it wrong

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,

daytripper
December 24th, 2003, 01:51 AM
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:05:28 -0600, Rodney > wrote:

>Sean Portno wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm going ice fishing in northern MN this Saturday and I was wondering
>> what kind of knife I should use. It seems that I would need one with
>> a pretty long blade if I am going to be able to stab any fish that are
>> more than a foot below the ice.
>>
>> How long a blade should I get?
>
>I'm not sure, may be you need a spear instead
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Sean
>
>I tried Ice fishing once,, the bags of ice did not last long, when
>thrown into the lake, and they didn't seam to draw any fish,, maybe I
>was doing it wrong

You're supposed to cut a hole in the ice and dive in.

Let us know how you make out with that...

Rodney
December 24th, 2003, 02:49 AM
daytripper wrote:

>>I tried Ice fishing once,, the bags of ice did not last long, when
>>thrown into the lake, and they didn't seam to draw any fish,, maybe I
>>was doing it wrong
>

> You're supposed to cut a hole in the ice and dive in.
>
> Let us know how you make out with that...

cut a hole in "what" ice,, you mean in the freezer ?

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

barbz
December 24th, 2003, 01:43 PM
daytripper wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:05:28 -0600, Rodney > wrote:
>

>>Sean Portno wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I'm going ice fishing in northern MN this Saturday and I was wondering
>>>what kind of knife I should use. It seems that I would need one with
>>>a pretty long blade if I am going to be able to stab any fish that are
>>>more than a foot below the ice.
>>>
>>>How long a blade should I get?
>>
>>I'm not sure, may be you need a spear instead
>>
>>>thanks,
>>>
>>>Sean
>>
>>I tried Ice fishing once,, the bags of ice did not last long, when
>>thrown into the lake, and they didn't seam to draw any fish,, maybe I
>>was doing it wrong
>

> You're supposed to cut a hole in the ice and dive in.
>
> Let us know how you make out with that...

We went ice fishing once...it took us a whole day to cut a hole in the
ice big enough to drop the skiff in...

barbz

Sean Borm
December 24th, 2003, 01:58 PM
You used ice as bait?! That's something I've never heard of. Was the
ice flavored? Please respond.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:05:28 -0600, Rodney > wrote:

>Sean Portno wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm going ice fishing in northern MN this Saturday and I was wondering
>> what kind of knife I should use. It seems that I would need one with
>> a pretty long blade if I am going to be able to stab any fish that are
>> more than a foot below the ice.
>>
>> How long a blade should I get?
>
>I'm not sure, may be you need a spear instead
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Sean
>
>I tried Ice fishing once,, the bags of ice did not last long, when
>thrown into the lake, and they didn't seam to draw any fish,, maybe I
>was doing it wrong

Rodney
December 24th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Sean Borm wrote:
> You used ice as bait?!

Naw,, I couldn't get the hook in it

I just dumped out a few bags into the water and fished in the middle of
it. I kept hearing of people catching fish, ice fishing, so I had to try it
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,
Straight Up Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights,
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

December 25th, 2003, 02:12 AM
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:59:58 -0600, Rodney > wrote:

>Sean Borm wrote:
>> You used ice as bait?!
>
>Naw,, I couldn't get the hook in it
>
>I just dumped out a few bags into the water and fished in the middle of
>it. I kept hearing of people catching fish, ice fishing, so I had to try it

Well, if you'd put the hooks in the cube trays before you froze them,
you'd have been all set.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Rodney
December 25th, 2003, 02:31 AM

> Well, if you'd put the hooks in the cube trays before you froze them,
> you'd have been all set.

I was using "bought" bait