PDA

View Full Version : multiplyers

willherb
January 15th, 2004, 01:11 PM
I have been given a Abu 7000 by my granddad as a present and so far I have
got on well enough with it to want to buy another multiplier.

I want one with a level wind because I basically can't be bothered to waste
my time concentrating on the line and (hopefully) the fish on the end. I
know you lose distance in the cast but that to I am not fussed about.

What I really need to know is what else to take into consideration when
buying. I know that it needs to be a "surf) reel for distance on the beach
and that the material it is made from should be probably aluminium or
stainless steal but what I am unsure of is things like the magnets, washers
being resistant to heat and anything else that I should look for.

I know that some people will say that it depends on what you are fishing for
and were but all I am looking for is the reel that won't break after a few
years and won't cost the earth. something around the £100 mark

All help will be appreciated.

Pepperoni
January 15th, 2004, 05:02 PM
I would recommend the ABU-Garcia big game series. Line capacity is the big
difference with these reels, and they are made for salt water.
Go to:
http://www.abugarcia.com/
on the product search pull-down, select "big Game"
(site won't let me have a clean url to the page)

Ambassadeur Big Game Collection
Prod. No. Bearings Gear Ratio Capacity MSRP
BG7000HSN 3 5.3:1 20/180 $154.95
BG7000HS 3 5.3:1 17/325 $154.95
BG7001HS 3 5.3:1 17/325 $154.95
BG9000 2 4.2:1 20/340 $154.95
BG10000 2 4.2:1 20/430 $154.95

Capacity given is (I presume) for mono. If you like the braided superlines
(I do), you could use a smaller reel because of smaller line diameter. The
smaller reels have faster ratios, and lighter weights. They are stainless
steel. You would have problems in salt water with most alumininum alloys.