PDA

View Full Version : 1 piece or 2 piece rod

1984
February 9th, 2004, 10:18 PM
I'm looking at getting a new rod 6.5 feet for my baitcaster and
wondering if any downfalls with a 2 piece rod?

David H. Lipman
February 9th, 2004, 10:30 PM
For a 6.5' rod -- I suggest a one piece.

I use a two piece only because it is a 12' Surf Rod.

Dave

"1984" > wrote in message
| I'm looking at getting a new rod 6.5 feet for my baitcaster and
| wondering if any downfalls with a 2 piece rod?

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
February 10th, 2004, 12:21 AM
"1984" > wrote in message
> I'm looking at getting a new rod 6.5 feet for my baitcaster and
> wondering if any downfalls with a 2 piece rod?

Pitfalls of a two piece rod? Sure there are. Most one piece rods are more
sensitive and stronger as well. Plus, if you break the rod down often,
you'll wear the ferrule, making for a loose fit. This in turn causes a
greater sensitivity loss and the possibility of the rod flying apart at the
least opportune moment. This usually happens when you have your lure
irretrievably snagged and have to break off.

All of my rods under 8 feet are one piece. More sensitive, more durable,
what more do you need?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

1984
February 10th, 2004, 04:13 AM
thanks!

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:21:37 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
> wrote:

>"1984" > wrote in message
>> I'm looking at getting a new rod 6.5 feet for my baitcaster and
>> wondering if any downfalls with a 2 piece rod?
>
>Pitfalls of a two piece rod? Sure there are. Most one piece rods are more
>sensitive and stronger as well. Plus, if you break the rod down often,
>you'll wear the ferrule, making for a loose fit. This in turn causes a
>greater sensitivity loss and the possibility of the rod flying apart at the
>least opportune moment. This usually happens when you have your lure
>irretrievably snagged and have to break off.
>
>All of my rods under 8 feet are one piece. More sensitive, more durable,
>what more do you need?

licker
February 11th, 2004, 12:16 AM
I prefer a one piece rod. The only two piece rods I have are ones that were
given to me.

Disadvantages with two piece rods are the upper part of the rod wants to
turn out of alignment. The pieces get stuck together. That don't have the
same sensitivity as a one piece.

Advantages with two piece rod are the are easier to transport in a car.

Sarge

Ookie Wonderslug
February 11th, 2004, 01:02 AM
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:21:37 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
> wrote:

>"1984" > wrote in message
>> I'm looking at getting a new rod 6.5 feet for my baitcaster and
>> wondering if any downfalls with a 2 piece rod?
>
>Pitfalls of a two piece rod? Sure there are. Most one piece rods are more
>sensitive and stronger as well. Plus, if you break the rod down often,
>you'll wear the ferrule, making for a loose fit. This in turn causes a
>greater sensitivity loss and the possibility of the rod flying apart at the
>least opportune moment. This usually happens when you have your lure
>irretrievably snagged and have to break off.
>
>All of my rods under 8 feet are one piece. More sensitive, more durable,
>what more do you need?

Had a nice 2 piece 7ft rod that my son bought me last year. Got a huge
catfish on it and it broke where the pieces went together. Sounded
like a gunshot. I guess if you are going to try to catch 50lb catfish
with a light rod and reel combo (using Spiderwire of course) it should
be one piece.

joe
February 11th, 2004, 12:52 PM
In article >,
Ookie Wonderslug > wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:21:37 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
> > wrote:
>

> >"1984" > wrote in message
> >> I'm looking at getting a new rod 6.5 feet for my baitcaster and
> >> wondering if any downfalls with a 2 piece rod?
> >
> >Pitfalls of a two piece rod? Sure there are. Most one piece rods are more
> >sensitive and stronger as well. Plus, if you break the rod down often,
> >you'll wear the ferrule, making for a loose fit. This in turn causes a
> >greater sensitivity loss and the possibility of the rod flying apart at the
> >least opportune moment. This usually happens when you have your lure
> >irretrievably snagged and have to break off.
> >
> >All of my rods under 8 feet are one piece. More sensitive, more durable,
> >what more do you need?
>

> Had a nice 2 piece 7ft rod that my son bought me last year. Got a huge
> catfish on it and it broke where the pieces went together. Sounded
> like a gunshot. I guess if you are going to try to catch 50lb catfish
> with a light rod and reel combo (using Spiderwire of course) it should
> be one piece.

Most of my salt water spinning/baitcaster rods are one piece (6.5 - 7.5
feet). I have only one two piece and I have never had a problem with it
nor does it fish any differently and I have landed some very nice reds
and snook on it.

While a two piece rod does offer some possibilities for 'issues' just
because you have multiple pieces that does not mean that it is more
likely to be that way.

My freshwater UL rods are usually 2 piece and there as well I have
landed trout up to 23 inches making hard runs 50 yards up a stream.

And last, how many fly rods do you see that are one piece? The casting
is of course somewhat different but the rod is still doing the work.
Many 100 pound plus tarpon are landed on fly rods every year.

I have cast a two piece rod apart. Every time it was my faulty casting
or assembly. Usually just trying too hard. I do have to align the eyes
but I don't see any issue there as after I assemble the rod it does not
move. The key is the assembly. Not to just jam the ferrule in but slide
it down snug and twist a quarter turn to align (I think that is a Lefty
Kreh tip). Keep the ferrule clean.

Your mileage may vary but multi-piece rods can perform well and offer
some convenience when traveling.
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

Sue & Jeri Drake
February 11th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Hi,

We have numerous multi-section rods, and use them while travelling in
Africa, our web page shows a 9.5kg (21lb) Tigerfish caught on a 6 piece
spinning rod, that has also caught some very large sea fish as well. Our
pages on Angola show our early fishing at Rio Longa with Tarpon to 100lbs,
caught on 4 piece rods. The number of pieces of a rod are not the issue, the
quality of the build and whether you use lines within the manufacturers
range, or not. Any overloaded rod or poorly built rod will break - one piece
or multi-sections.

Choise quality and a rod to suit your needs, the number of rods that lose
the tips when trapped in car or trunk doors is more than fish break!

Hope that helps confuse the issue further.

Cheers

--
Sue & Jeri Drake
UK Shark Tagging Programme