PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance sonar advice sought

Jim & Lil
February 16th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Question is ................which one to buy?

http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/default.asp

This is there list of Fish finders.

I just bought a new 17 ft Lund "Fisherman" boat.
I am a sportsfisherman and fish on inland waters in Canada not exceeding
800 ft of Depth for Northern Pike, Walleye, and Lake Trout. I used to own
the 1993 model Lowrance LMS350A and let it go when I sold my last boat.
I am thinking about buying the X135 Lowrance. I won't be using any built in
GPS as I already have a hand held GPS.Can anyone comment on any of these
Lowrance products?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...RegardsJim

Short Wave Sportfishing
February 17th, 2004, 01:47 PM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:57:02 -0600, "Jim & Lil"
<jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Question is ................which one to buy?
>
>http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/default.asp
>
> This is there list of Fish finders.
>
> I just bought a new 17 ft Lund "Fisherman" boat.
> I am a sportsfisherman and fish on inland waters in Canada not exceeding
>800 ft of Depth for Northern Pike, Walleye, and Lake Trout. I used to own
>the 1993 model Lowrance LMS350A and let it go when I sold my last boat.
> I am thinking about buying the X135 Lowrance. I won't be using any built in
>GPS as I already have a hand held GPS.Can anyone comment on any of these
>Lowrance products?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions...RegardsJim

As far as Lowrance as a manufacturer - it's a good product. They did
have a crystal problem in the 1.92 Khz transducers, but they corrected
that. And all new products, like everybody else's, are at 2 Khz.
Garmin is also a good manufacturer. Humminbird - eh. I have a
Humminbird in a tin boat - it's ok.

I had the X15 monochrome finder on my inshore boat and it developed a
problem which the dealer corrected by basically giving me an upgrade
to an X18c at cost.

Do youself a favour - Garmin, Lowrance, Humminbird - get color!!!!
You will spend a little more, but the results will be much different.

Big difference. So much so that I changed the Garmin on my Contender
to an X18c.

I've noticed that a lot of the really competant local swee****er bass
types are also switching to color.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern

ERICK KENT
February 18th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Humminbird makes some really good stuff. I use a Matrix 20 on my boat and
love it, but if I were going to buy a new one I would probably get a Matrix
27. It is a dual beam and has a really nice display. In fact it has 320 x
320 which is the same display used on the Matrix 67.

As for color, the Matrix 97 is great and seems to be priced really well plus
it has a lot of GPS features.

All of the matrix stuff has GPS and can also connect to barometric pressure
gauges as well as the Humminbird wireless system, which uses the same
bobbers as the Smart cast; just on your matrix.

--
ERICK KENT