PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU FISH or know what the inside of a whole fish looks like?

Ablang
March 20th, 2004, 03:03 AM
* * * * * HERE'S THE QUESTION! * * * * *

DO YOU FISH or know what the inside of a whole fish looks like?

My smallest fish just died and over the last months has grown quite a large
stomach. I opened it to see if it had a tumor or parasitic infection that
may pass onto the other fish and found what I think may be eggs. I know
that it wasn't a tumor or a parasite. I think she was pregnant, but am not
sure if they were eggs or just fat.

There were a bunch of clear yellow spheres about 3mm in diameter all
connected with a few blood vessels in the middle of the mass of spheres.
It didn't look like mammalian fat tissue, but I have never seen fish fat
before. Does fish fat form in clear, regular spherical clumps, or do you
think these were eggs?

They filled the whole stomach area, about 1/3 of her whole body mass.

Thank you!

Please Use the Link Below To Reply
********* REPLY ***************
To reply, go here:
http://www.answerology.com/answer.aspx?question_id=622952&setGender=1
********* REPLY ***************

Sincerely,

NeedsAdvice

--
"Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise." -- Alice Walker

barbz
March 20th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Ablang wrote:
> * * * * * HERE'S THE QUESTION! * * * * *
>

> DO YOU FISH or know what the inside of a whole fish looks like?
>
> My smallest fish just died and over the last months has grown quite a large
> stomach. I opened it to see if it had a tumor or parasitic infection that
> may pass onto the other fish and found what I think may be eggs. I know
> that it wasn't a tumor or a parasite. I think she was pregnant, but am not
> sure if they were eggs or just fat.
>
> There were a bunch of clear yellow spheres about 3mm in diameter all
> connected with a few blood vessels in the middle of the mass of spheres.
> It didn't look like mammalian fat tissue, but I have never seen fish fat
> before. Does fish fat form in clear, regular spherical clumps, or do you
> think these were eggs?
>
> They filled the whole stomach area, about 1/3 of her whole body mass.
>
> Thank you!
>

> Please Use the Link Below To Reply
> ********* REPLY ***************
> To reply, go here:
> http://www.answerology.com/answer.aspx?question_id=622952&setGender=1
> ********* REPLY ***************
>
> Sincerely,
>
> NeedsAdvice

Sounds like eggs. I've caught many fish which were loaded with eggs.
They are contained in two sac-like membranes with considerable blood
supply. As for being "pregnant," most fish lay the eggs first, then an
available male will fertilize them externally. It sounds like your fish
was gravid, and this was probably not the cause of death. Mature females
will be carrying eggs at some stage of development.

hth,
barbz