PDA

View Full Version : Favorite ways to prepare large oysters

tenplay
March 20th, 2004, 03:57 PM
We have some oyster beds near our home in Washington. These oysters are
quite large. Is there a way to prepare them for family members who are a
bit squeamish about eating the large ones? Thanks.

licker
March 21st, 2004, 04:55 AM
Try battering them in a seasoned cornemeal and deep frying them. Trya them
on a half shell with some hot sauce on them and a cold beer to rinse them
down. Try some of theses:

Oyster Pies

6 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 ribs celery, chopped
6 green onions, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
6 dozen oysters, drain, reserve liquid
12 to 16 3" frozen unbaked pastry shells, partially baked

In Dutch oven make a roux with flour, oil and butter. Cook over medium heat,
stirring until golden brown. Add celery, green onions, bell pepper, onion,
garlic, and parsley. Saute until vegetables are wilted. Add salt, pepper and
oyster liquid. Cook slowly until very thick. Drain oysters on paper towels
and cut in half. Add to mixture and simmer 5 minutes or until edges curl. If
oysters thin mixture too much, remove oysters with slotted spoon, and reduce
liquid over high heat until very thick again. Return oysters to sauce. Let
cool before filling partially baked pastry shells. Pies can be refrigerated
or frozen at this time and baked just before serving in a preheated 300
degree oven 20 minutes.
Yield: 12 - 16 pies.

Oyster Stew

4 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 pints oysters with liquor
salt and pepper to taste
dash of ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Heat four bowls and add a tablespoon of butter to each bowl; keep hot.
Heat milk, cream, and oyster liquor just to the boiling point; add oysters
and bring to boiling point once again. Season with salt, pepper, and
cayenne. Ladle into hot bowls and top with chopped parsley, if desired.
Serves 4.

Oyster Dressing

Makes:10 servings
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
Ready In:40 minutes
One of the classic oyster dishes that goes well with any of your holiday
meals.

Ingredients
4 pints fresh oysters, drained and coarsely chopped, reserve liquid3 medium
bell pepper chopped
3 stalks celery finely diced1 bunch shallots (green onions)
2 medium onions chopped1/4 cup minced garlic
2 loaves of French bread crumbled by hand4 ounces Parmesan Cheese
2 cups plain bread crumbsfresh parsely chopped
1 stick butter1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp white peppersalt to taste

Directions
Note per the author - please use white pepper as it has a distinctive flavor
that really makes the dish stand out.

Saute' the vegetables in butter until soft.

Add the oysters and continue sautéing for 4 minutes.

Add oyster liquid reserved from earlier and crumbled bread. Mix well.

If it's too wet, you can add some plain breadcrumbs as needed.

Spread into a 13x9-baking pan and add cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350
degrees. Serves approximately 10 people.

Rodney LongShot
March 22nd, 2004, 07:34 PM
tenplay wrote:

> We have some oyster beds near our home in Washington. These oysters are
> quite large. Is there a way to prepare them for family members who are a
> bit squeamish about eating the large ones? Thanks.

Open the shell, remove the top, cut it loose from the bottom shell

Chew it well

There is nothing else to do, if they don't like them that way, just send
them (the Oysters) to me, I love them large

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Stand Out Hooks ,

March 23rd, 2004, 09:32 PM
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:34:45 -0600, Rodney LongShot
.> wrote:

>tenplay wrote:
>
>> We have some oyster beds near our home in Washington. These oysters are
>> quite large. Is there a way to prepare them for family members who are a
>> bit squeamish about eating the large ones? Thanks.
>
>Open the shell, remove the top, cut it loose from the bottom shell
>
>Chew it well
>
>There is nothing else to do, if they don't like them that way, just send
>them (the Oysters) to me, I love them large

Can they be sliced, diced, chopped, or ground up? Otherwise, offer
another choice of entree' or main dish for those (like me) who can't
do oysters. If you trigger those gag reflexes some of us have, nobody
will enjoy the food.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Terry Bullard
March 24th, 2004, 02:12 PM
>From: "tenplay"
>

>We have some oyster beds near our home in Washington. These oysters are
>quite large. Is there a way to prepare them for family members who are a
>bit squeamish about eating the large ones? Thanks.

Yes! Tell them they are terrible and then you won't have to share, LOLs.
I'm in WA as well, what do you consider quite large? I live on the Sound and
I've found them as big as 2 feet in the shell. Normally I go after the ones 12"
to 14" and leave the smaller ones. I just fry them in butter at a high heat for
the best oyster taste. You might tell your family members that the big ones
don't have the strong oyster taste as the small ones do. I'm no chef but I do
think people either like oysters or they don't. Thankfully, I'm the only one
that eats them in my household.

Terry
--
Crayfishing Made Easy!
http://www.terrybullard.com

QLW
May 31st, 2004, 07:40 AM
Wow! Why didn't I find this site sooner. We live on a bayou just a mile
off of Galveston Bay and love to catch, cook and eat fish. My mouth was
watering after reading these recipes!
Quinton