PDA

View Full Version : Which Motor is Best?

DAVID MC CARVER
March 28th, 2004, 08:57 AM
If you were going to buy a new 25HP fishing motor tomorrow, what brand would
you buy and why. Mercury seems cheaper but has less bore than others. I'm
getting ready to buy and would really like your opinion.
Thanks - Dave

David H. Lipman
March 28th, 2004, 02:00 PM
{personal opinion}
I have had Johnson and Merc and I like Merc better.

Dave

"DAVID MC CARVER" > wrote in message
| If you were going to buy a new 25HP fishing motor tomorrow, what brand would
| you buy and why. Mercury seems cheaper but has less bore than others. I'm
| getting ready to buy and would really like your opinion.
| Thanks - Dave

licker
March 28th, 2004, 03:56 PM
I think it is a matter of personal preference. I have owned Mercury,
Johnson, Yamaha, Suzuki and Tohatso. All performed well. The Yamaha took a
lot more abuse then the rest because I used it strictly in sal****er while
the rest were used in fresh and sal****er. I no longer own any of them
because I sold the boats they were own or upgraded to a bigger motor. The
Mercury did seem to power the boat a little faster then the rest but it
could have been the hull type or pitch of the blade that made it seem a
little different.

When I upgraded from a 15 Johnson to a 25, I looked at what the commercial
fisherman were using in my area. Most were running Yamaha at the time.
They are now running Honda. I am considering my next motor to be a four
stroke either Suzuki, Honda or Mercury. Honda seem to be a little high in
price but I hear they hold up well. 4 strokes cost more and weigh more but
the fuel savings are worth it if you can afford the extra cash and weight.

When you go shopping ask the dealers if they have any non current models in
stock. They will usually be a little cheaper. For example a purchased a
new 2000 Yamaha for 600 dollars less then a 2001 model and still got the
regular warranty on the motor. What you do lose is resale value which is
not that much compared to what I saved.

Sarge